Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by The Monkey King » Sat May 06, 2023 2:24 pm

I wonder if Toriyama made Dragon Ball's final time skip 10 years long because that's how long Dragon Ball was serialised for? :think:

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Sat May 06, 2023 3:36 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:04 am They could make Goku stay an adult
No thanks, that's boring. We already have like 500 episodes and 15+ movies with adult Goku.
What I love about GT is the bold decision to add Kid Goku into the mix again.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat May 06, 2023 3:57 pm

Zinnia wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:36 pm
No thanks, that's boring. We already have like 500 episodes and 15+ movies with adult Goku.
Besides nerfing him and making things weird with his wife, what does Goku being a kid again add to the series?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat May 06, 2023 4:22 pm

It's interesting how Z Broly vs Cell has been a fandom debate and rivalry for 20 years and Toriyama accidentally played into it by comparing Cell Max to Super Broly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 06, 2023 5:24 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:57 pm Besides nerfing him and making things weird with his wife, what does Goku being a kid again add to the series?
Why is depowering him a negative?

One positive was the fun dynamic between Goku and Pan now that he was in the body of a kid.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sun May 07, 2023 2:31 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:57 pm
Besides nerfing him and making things weird with his wife, what does Goku being a kid again add to the series?
This is what I felt about it too, they could make him temporarily a child long enough to get his tail back naturally just to be a throwback to the original GT but once he gets his tail back they wish him back into an adult. Being a kid again was boring and played out after the Baby Saga. Also the idea that they wished away God Ki is actually pretty good.. after Dende's last upgrade to Shenron in SH he supposedly can make most any wish happen so Pilaf says "I wish all that god power stuff never existed" then bam God Ki is gone, though UI would still be a skill Goku can master in his base form, so Goku could still use it the same way Roshi was using a incomplete version but of course it would not be incomplete. Pan being a whiney loud mouth smart ass needs to be removed, just the same as her being useless needs to be removed. Vegeta and Gohan to get their tails back through different methods as well, hell maybe the wish that turned Goku into a kid will affect the three as a group because all 3 happened to be there and "get in pilafs way" so of course after they get their tails back Bulma gathers the dragon balls and makes them adults again.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun May 07, 2023 3:56 pm

I really dislike how the games just use the English dub lines for the subtitles. There are script changes and you can tell when the subtitles don't match up to what the characters are saying in Japanese. Would it cost them that much to hire a Japanese translator?

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Fri May 12, 2023 5:08 pm

Hi it's me Bea I haven't been here in a hot minute

I really like Goku bein a kid in GT, I just find it neat. It gives GT a special flair to it.

Also iirc in Fighterz he calls himself "your old man" when talking to Gohan(?) once and I find that really funny
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat May 13, 2023 3:28 pm

ABED wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:24 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:57 pm Besides nerfing him and making things weird with his wife, what does Goku being a kid again add to the series?

One positive was the fun dynamic between Goku and Pan now that he was in the body of a kid.
But they didn't commit to depowering him. He still completely wtfpwns goten trunks and gohan (who the perfect files say never stopped training) IN BASE and he can still go ss2 and 3 a little bit.

He has his memories and life experience so it's only creepy. And he's the only one who was. If yamcha and bulma etc all did too and there was a db reunion or just goku but he lost his memories and power and gradually gets them back with escalating threats or something but literally there's no angle they do 0 with it.

Fuck I hate GT and I *wanted* to like it before super etc existed it was our last piece of content.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Sat May 13, 2023 5:02 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:57 pm
Lots of comedy scenes, the Sugoroku Board game wouldn't work as well with adult Goku for example.
Fun chemistry with Pan that wouldn't be possible if he stayed an adult. It directly affects her growth as a character too, from not being fond of her grandpa being a kid to being happy about having someone "her age" she can bounce off.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2023 5:23 pm

TobyS wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:28 pm
ABED wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:24 pm

But they didn't commit to depowering him. He still completely wtfpwns goten trunks and gohan (who the perfect files say never stopped training) IN BASE and he can still go ss2 and 3 a little bit.

He has his memories and life experience so it's only creepy. And he's the only one who was. If yamcha and bulma etc all did too and there was a db reunion or just goku but he lost his memories and power and gradually gets them back with escalating threats or something but literally there's no angle they do 0 with it.

Fuck I hate GT and I *wanted* to like it before super etc existed it was our last piece of content.
He's still the main character, but he can't use his teleportation due to his younger body, which is a significant narrative choice. He wasn't able to fight Baby until he transformed because his younger body had far less stamina. Then there's the fun of the humor between he and his granddaughter.

He wasn't literally turned into a child. He's in a child's body and it's not creepy at all. It's not like Big where a woman sleeps with the kid and it never dawns on her that she technically committed statutory rape. Not sure what you found creepy.

Of all the reasons to hate on GT, to hate on it because he, the main character, is still stronger than secondary characters. It's more silly powerscaling stuff.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat May 13, 2023 5:31 pm

also in GT Goku has his tail which is an automatic win in my book
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 13, 2023 6:50 pm

Goku should have return back to adult rather quickly in GT. I hate the idea that Chi Chi is married to a kid (even if they are grown up) and Goku will out live his entire family. People hate the idea of Mai and Trunks shipping, and Chi Chi x GT Goku (unless he's SSj4) is not much different to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2023 7:07 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:50 pm Goku should have return back to adult rather quickly in GT. I hate the idea that Chi Chi is married to a kid (even if they are grown up) and Goku will out live his entire family. People hate the idea of Mai and Trunks shipping, and Chi Chi x GT Goku (unless he's SSj4) is not much different to me.
A vital distinction is that with Goku, he and Chichi are the same age, but he was magically made physically younger. In the Trunks example, Mai is so much older than Trunks, but is made the same physical age.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 13, 2023 8:10 pm

Chi Chi and Goku's marriage being pretty much devoid of any romance or sexual attraction makes the whole Goku being turned into a kid thing much less squicky.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat May 13, 2023 8:39 pm

In general I just roll with whatever GT throws at me

Goku's a kid again? That's fun (I love his design too)

SSJ4 makes him an adult? That is really awesome

Numerous plot issues? .. for some reason they just don't bug me! I find it fun either way
she/her yknow

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 15, 2023 12:34 pm

I see nothing really changed in my absence. In fact, we are currently venturing into the retelling territory... again... Dragon Ball fans can't catch a break, can they? Oh boy. A promotional eight-minute anime released now sporadically, a monthly manga retelling a movie that one can simply go and watch it, no announcement even on "Goku Day". The fandom is getting scraps at this point. That's sad. :(

Hey my thread got locked, though. Gonna try to be around to prevent that next time. I know we still have so little on Gine, but I really felt that was something to talk about her positively, even if her portrayal isn't an ideal one.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Thu May 18, 2023 2:08 pm

Well, Wrath State doesn't exist in the manga, Broly was using base form the whole way up. His eyes only looked different because he was in shock at his fathers death. Also, Paragus words seems to imply he has went into the LSS form once before and Paragus was scared he would do it again.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016670

Piccolo's wording for his what he says about his wish and after the wish is a bit interesting too.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:57 pm

I was messing around trying to sync the Funimation and the Pioneer dubs to the Toei Blu-ray and decided to do the same for the Rock the Dragon version of DBZ movie 3.

So, I was wondering why the audio was having such trouble syncing up. So, I put the video side by side and noticed that they added a bunch of scenes from the series to the RTD version of the movie lol WHY!? Was this for timing because they split it into 3 episodes? I just got through Kaio's first scene and they legitimately added around 30 seconds of Kaio talking to Bubbles and Gregory. So wild.

There are no differences between the Pioneer singles and RTD versions of movies 1 and 2 (besides the intros/outros), right?

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 pm

Somebody tried to tell me that Gohan's trigger made no sense because he never transformed from rage before.
FIrst off.. Cell Saga and Super Saiyan 2.

Secondly.. Gohans most trauamatic moments involved Cell and Piccolo.

Piccolo dying against Nappa while saving Gohan as Gohan watched helplessly, and Cell having his friends and father as well as Piccolo tortured and then Cell "killing" 16 right in front of Gohan as yet again Gohan is too stunned to do anything.

With SH we literally have all of that.. Piccolo and the rest are getting beaten into the dirt as Gohan watches, then to his eyes he sees Piccolo "die" in front of him again and he let it happen yet again and all the trauma and rage from Piccolo dying and the Cell Games makes him snap yet again and he awakens to Beast.

We also need to remember that his first Super Saiyan transformation was fueled by the very same trauma with watching Piccolo die, Krillin die, and everyone get tortured as he stands there helpless. I seriously think Piccolo took Cell Max being a thing as the PERFECT opportunity to use Gohans trauma to wake him up and make him snap again. It worked, and maybe it was necessary.. but it was fucked up.