The Makankosappo is a two-handed technique

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

The Makankosappo is a two-handed technique

Post by Yuji » Wed May 10, 2023 7:58 pm

I find it curious how the Makankosappo, which if I recall correctly has only been used twice in the manga, has been retconned into a one-handed technique in all other Dragon Ball media. The first use was of course against Raditz where Piccolo had lost an arm, so he used it with one hand out of necessity. We see later the completed two-handed attack against Nappa:

This was the last time the Makankosappo was used in the manga and by all intents and purposes it's the true form of the technique, yet the one-handed version is so iconic it's now the default.

Do you think we should use the two-handed version again? Are there any other cases of a technique's presentations being retconned after their use?

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The Makankosappo is a two-handed technique

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Thu May 11, 2023 8:50 am

Is this actually supposed to be the Makankosappo though? There's nothing in the text on the page you provided that calls it by that name, and I don't remember if it's done in the manga. I'm pretty sure Toriyama just liked the "drill" look enough to use it in this random ki wave also

With that said, if this is supposed to be the Makankosappo, then I'm not surprised we always see Dragon Ball products going with the original version. It's not unusual for them to prefer using more popular iconograph over what's more "modern" (Like how some characters in Super revert to their most popular designs from the original manga, such as Vegeta with the Cell arc armor), and since it's so easy to forget the two-handed version existed in the first place (if this is actually the Makankosappo) there would be no point in bringing it back since it would just be the version that nobody remembers

With that said, one hand Makankosappo has a very unique look, and it being one-handed is part of that, so I'm happy that it is the standard
she/they.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed May 17, 2023 4:24 pm

Maybe Piccolo realized it was useful to have it be a one handed technique so he upgraded it so he can use the attack's full power with just one hand?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu May 18, 2023 6:42 pm

This also bothered me recently as DB Kai started to air in Poland and i completely forgot that Piccolo used this technique with one arm only because he lost second one. Yet somehow one handed version became the main one. It's the same with Final Shine Attack which is always shown as one-handed technique even though out of all 4 uses in GT (2 successful, 2 failed) only the first one was done with one hand. I guess it's just more badass to fire some techniques with single hand. Kinda like Gohan made one-handed Kamehameha against Cell. Would it be as iconic if it was regular Kamehameha?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta