Is there a quote in DB can match "I liked it" from BB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Y2_O3

Is there a quote in DB can match "I liked it" from BB?

Post by Y2_O3 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:56 am

In the final season of Breaking Bad, there is a classic quote:
I did it for me.
I liked it.
I was good at it.
And I was really, I was alive!
Does Walter White really like it? We all know is half true and half false.
  • Half of it is false because Mr. White doesn't genuinely enjoy cooking,
  • but half of it is true because he's passionate about chemistry.
  • Half false because Mr. White isn't a born criminal,
  • but half true because sometimes he's ruthless.
  • Half false, Walter himself doesn't need much money,
  • but half true, he craves status and respect.
  • Half false, Walter does it all for his family,
  • but half true, he's also doing it for himself.
Is Walter White selfish or selfless? You can find the answer from his quote.

Does Dragon Ball have a similarly insightful quote that explores human nature?

I'll put forward this from the Cell arc, when Android 16 speaks to Mr. Satan:
Don’t you want to help?
When Mr. Satan first appears, he's a shameless showman who everyone looks down upon, Vegeta with his colored glasses, and even Krillin, and Goku can't even figure out what Mr. Satan is trying to accomplish. We all know he doesn't come to help.
When you watch this scene, don't you also hate Mr. Satan for being arrogant, ignorant, selfish, cowardly, and vanity?

Initially Android 16's reason is "for Earth", but Mr. Satan immediately rejects him, citing safety concerns. He's really more concerned with himself.
But when 16 makes the second request, it touches Mr. Satan's soul.
It's the heart of a champion.
Even the most selfish person has an unselfish side.
Maslow tells me that in addition to physiological needs, safety needs, and esteem, there is also a need for self-actualization. Everyone has it, whether it's a depressed Mr. White or a triumphant Mr. Satan.

Actually, something even more comparable to "I liked it" is when Satan calls out "That's right!!!" to Earthlings during the decisive battle with Kid Buu.

This is a lie, meant to make his fans think that he's fighting Buu.
We all know that Mr. Satan isn't really a savior.

But this is also true, as Goku said. Mr. Satan selflessly takes on his responsibility, realizes his own value, and inspires Earthlings to save themselves.
He becomes a true fighter and savior, when saying "That's right!!!".

Anyone can be like Walter or Mr. Satan, WHITE or BLACK, and I think, they two are like mirrors or pictures of color-blindness test, everyone can see themselves in them. Anyone can be a savior or Satan.
Don't look at people through a scouter.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Is there a quote in DB can match "I liked it" from BB?

Post by Yuji » Wed May 17, 2023 6:35 am

If we're looking for a quote from the main character that illustrates a dichotomy between selfishness and selflessness? I think there are two that illustrate it well.

DB#419: "Bulma told me once I attract bad guys... and I kinda think she's right! Earth'll have a better shot at peace if I'm not around. The Lord of Worlds sees my point, too. Hey, I'm not bein' a martyr! They're going to give me special treatment here 'cuz I saved the planet. Regular people and bad guys like Cell turn into spirits, but I get to keep my own body, I won't age any more... And I get to meet all the great old martial arts masters from history! [...] I'm sorry son, and tell your mother I'm sorry... but don't bring me back to life, okay? Gohan's more dependable than I ever was, anyway. So that's it! We'll meet again when you die! Bye, bye!"

How much of it is Goku genuinely coming to regret his actions and presence in the world and being selfless for the sake of his loved ones, how much is it him wanting to engage in a new challenge even if it means leaving his family behind? It's a bit of both.

DBS#63: "It's just that the strongest guys out there tend to be villains, so... If they rise up and do bad stuff again, I just have to become stronger by then, right? I'll fight 'em as many times as it takes, and at some point, just maybe, they'll decide to join the good side. (Reforming villains, then? The Galactic Patrol takes the same approach.) Putting it that way gives me too much credit. I just think... that way's much more exciting, I guess?"

Certainly neither quote is as concise as a simple "I did it for me" followed by two other simple lines, but they get across Goku's character pretty well and illustrate how he tries to balance his desires to fight others with his duty to protect his friends.

For a more concise line, I guess Vegeta's "Good luck, Kakarot. You are number one!" is perfect, but it's also preceded by a grandiose speech.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 17, 2023 8:50 am

The closest I can think of is Goku letting Vegeta go, and saying "I know it's wrong, but grant me this selfish request" or something to that affect.

The big difference between Goku and Walter is Goku was never in denial about his intentions. He knew his bad choices were for him all along, although he was in denial about the potential consequences (similar to Walter). Both Goku and Walter would assume things would work out. They would handwave the danger, while believing they were the danger.

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:09 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:50 am The closest I can think of is Goku letting Vegeta go, and saying "I know it's wrong, but grant me this selfish request" or something to that affect.

The big difference between Goku and Walter is Goku was never in denial about his intentions. He knew his bad choices were for him all along, although he was in denial about the potential consequences (similar to Walter). Both Goku and Walter would assume things would work out. They would handwave the danger, while believing they were the danger.
I also really like this. It reminds me of the beginning of the Android Arc when Goku refused to kill Dr. Gero. He always speaks his mind openly, even when Bulma doesn't understand him.
I've seen two very different evaluations of Goku in the past: some say he's very selfish and only cares about fighting, while others say he's so selfless that he doesn't seem like a real person.
But now it seems that Goku can both put aside all his own desires for more valuable things and remain true to his inner feelings.
He has achieved a balance between selflessness and selfishness, and has achieved balance of life in the dimensions of height, width, depth, temperature, and freedom and independence. It is rare to see in other works, isn't it?

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:35 am

Yuji wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:35 am If we're looking for a quote from the main character that illustrates a dichotomy between selfishness and selflessness? I think there are two that illustrate it well.

DB#419: "Bulma told me once I attract bad guys... and I kinda think she's right! Earth'll have a better shot at peace if I'm not around. The Lord of Worlds sees my point, too. Hey, I'm not bein' a martyr! They're going to give me special treatment here 'cuz I saved the planet. Regular people and bad guys like Cell turn into spirits, but I get to keep my own body, I won't age any more... And I get to meet all the great old martial arts masters from history! [...] I'm sorry son, and tell your mother I'm sorry... but don't bring me back to life, okay? Gohan's more dependable than I ever was, anyway. So that's it! We'll meet again when you die! Bye, bye!"

How much of it is Goku genuinely coming to regret his actions and presence in the world and being selfless for the sake of his loved ones, how much is it him wanting to engage in a new challenge even if it means leaving his family behind? It's a bit of both.

DBS#63: "It's just that the strongest guys out there tend to be villains, so... If they rise up and do bad stuff again, I just have to become stronger by then, right? I'll fight 'em as many times as it takes, and at some point, just maybe, they'll decide to join the good side. (Reforming villains, then? The Galactic Patrol takes the same approach.) Putting it that way gives me too much credit. I just think... that way's much more exciting, I guess?"

Certainly neither quote is as concise as a simple "I did it for me" followed by two other simple lines, but they get across Goku's character pretty well and illustrate how he tries to balance his desires to fight others with his duty to protect his friends.

For a more concise line, I guess Vegeta's "Good luck, Kakarot. You are number one!" is perfect, but it's also preceded by a grandiose speech.
Yes, it's hard to make Vegeta admit that Goku is No.1. But he did it. I like the epiphany.
Being obsessed with becoming No.1 and immersed in the glory of one's own race is actually very selfish and foolish, which hinders one's progress in training.
"Lingering on things doesn't help, believe me."
Only when a person lets go of his obsession with being No.1 can he experiences things like a child, with full absorption and concentration, and truly become number one.

So, according to my previous evaluation criteria (don't care about it), the most appropriate scene is the final comic panel in DB, where Vegeta watches Goku and Uub leave and says,
Sooner or later I'll defeat you, Kakarot. Hmph!
This quote was added later, but I think it's a great way to end the story — Vegeta still wants to defeat Goku and become No.1, he hasn't given up or run away, but at the same time we can feel that he no longer has any selfishness or obsession when he says this line. If he deliberately avoids saying this, it would seem hypocritical, indicating that he still hasn't learned to relax.

Vegeta finds the balance. So it, this feeling, is really like "I liked it" from Breaking Bad, appearing to be particularly worth pondering.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 18, 2023 8:50 pm

There is no half true and false in that quote. Walter did like cooking meth and he didn't do it for his family. If you need proof, he could've either gotten a job or charity from Elliot and Gretchen with no strings attached. He didn't because it wasn't about providing for his family. He was in it for the thrill. The whole point in that scene is that he's finally telling Skylar the truth.

The closest thing I can think of is Vegeta telling Goku why he let Babidi try to control him. The one lie he told was he didn't care. He didn't want to care. He wanted to go back to what he was, but by that point it was too late. He had something of a soul.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.