Power-ups That Count as Transformations In DB Terms

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaSuperBaby

Power-ups That Count as Transformations In DB Terms

Post by DaSuperBaby » Wed May 10, 2023 10:46 pm

Power-ups such as Super Saiyan 2 and Ultimate Gohan hardly have an appearance change from Super Saiyan and base-form Gohan, respectively, yet they are officially referred to as transformations. Is this like how aliens as well as animal-type and monster-type Earthlings count as "humans" (人間/ningen) in Dragon Ball terms?

I've also been wondering about Super Saiyan Grades 2–3, which also count as transformations with the bulking up of the body, but Freeza's 100%-power state isn't considered a complete transformation and rather just an adjustment of his body in the same form.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Re: Power-ups That Count as Transformations In DB Terms

Post by ZodiacBeast » Sat May 13, 2023 2:43 pm

DaSuperBaby wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:46 pm Power-ups such as Super Saiyan 2 and Ultimate Gohan hardly have an appearance change from Super Saiyan and base-form Gohan, respectively, yet they are officially referred to as transformations. Is this like how aliens as well as animal-type and monster-type Earthlings count as "humans" (人間/ningen) in Dragon Ball terms?

I've also been wondering about Super Saiyan Grades 2–3, which also count as transformations with the bulking up of the body, but Freeza's 100%-power state isn't considered a complete transformation and rather just an adjustment of his body in the same form.
I really wish Grades 2 and 3 were just desperately trying to get every drop of power out of SSJ. They didn't need to be transformations.

Ultimate Gohan feels like it should be referred to as a "state", since he doesn't transform. It's like calling Kaio-ken a transformation.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 21, 2023 9:09 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:43 pm
DaSuperBaby wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:46 pm Power-ups such as Super Saiyan 2 and Ultimate Gohan hardly have an appearance change from Super Saiyan and base-form Gohan, respectively, yet they are officially referred to as transformations. Is this like how aliens as well as animal-type and monster-type Earthlings count as "humans" (人間/ningen) in Dragon Ball terms?

I really wish Grades 2 and 3 were just desperately trying to get every drop of power out of SSJ. They didn't need to be transformations.

Ultimate Gohan feels like it should be referred to as a "state", since he doesn't transform. It's like calling Kaio-ken a transformation.
Yeah, Ultimate Gohan is in a state of enhancement to his current state (in his case only his base form) like Kaioken.

It's separate from his Super Saiyan transformations, but it's also distinct from his base form albeit not in a transformative way like a Super Saiyan form.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 21, 2023 3:46 pm

I suppose Kaioken fits this. Body bulks up, that's a physical change. Attributes go up as well. You even get a new colored aura. But its a temp boost that is generally unstable.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun May 21, 2023 4:37 pm

I'd like to think that transformation is something tied to specific race, while technique is something everyone could learn, like Kaioken. But Beast Gohan doesn't seem to be saiyan related yet it's considered a transformation. UI should've been a technique, but is used as a transformation which completely ruined it in my eyes. Ultimate Gohan should've been a permanent state, yet DBS shows it as a transformation as well. He basically goes from SSJ2 to Ultimate in Super Hero like it's a next step in SSJ line even though it has NOTHING to di with saiyan forms. Even Super Full Power Saiyan 4 is considered a transformation i believe even though it just increased Goku's power beyond his limits and didn't change his appearance in any way.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta