Pilaf Gang shouldn't be revived (Spoilers from Full Color manga, Piccolo volume 3)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Pilaf Gang shouldn't be revived (Spoilers from Full Color manga, Piccolo volume 3)

Post by coola » Tue May 16, 2023 9:19 pm

I've just read in DB Full Color Piccolo Saga Volume 3, that Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai were killed after 23rd Budokai and because they were bad guys, they weren't revived in Buu Saga. Now, why Pilaf and his gang, who tried to conquer world, attempted to murder bunch of teenagers and kids and free Demon King Piccolo, were revived? :roll: Pilaf seemed like goofball, but he still made all those machines and had to know who Piccolo is, yet he still free him, why Cranes were denied revive, but those three jerks got back? :cry:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Pilaf Gang shouldn't be revived (Spoilers from Full Color manga, Piccolo volume 3)

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 17, 2023 10:23 am

Dende asks Porunga to revive everybody "except for the very evil ones", because Vegeta didn't want Bobbidi and Dabura to be brought back to life. Are Pilaf, Mai, and Shu "very evil", bad to the same degree as Bobbidi and Dabura? Vegeta himself even got revived, and he was murdering people a day or so ago, so the blood doesn't even have to be very dry to meet Porunga's standards.

How much blood is on Pilaf's hands, directly? Is there any?

In the original anime continuity, we never see them between the Piccolo Daimao arc and the Baby arc. Were they trying to conquer the world still between those arcs? If they were, did they get very far? Did they harm anybody in their attempts to do so?

In Super's continuity they accidentally wish themselves to becoming infants during the Cell arc. So now they're children, who are in even less a position to cause direct harm than they were as bumbling adults. I'd be surprised if they managed to harm very many people, if any, between the Cell and Boo arcs.

There's far too little concrete information about their actions (and about Porunga's own criteria for "very evil") to argue that Pilaf's gang, by the time of the Boo arc, don't meet the Namekian Dragon's standards. What even are his moral standards? What's his ethical framework? Is Porunga a Utilitarian, a Kantian, or something else entirely?

There's just way too much wiggle room.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Pilaf Gang shouldn't be revived (Spoilers from Full Color manga, Piccolo volume 3)

Post by Cipher » Wed May 17, 2023 10:44 am

I think the wish basically has to be interpreted as only not bringing back the cosmically evil beings like Bobbidi and co. (whose resurrections it was worded to avoid).

It's not like every violent criminal suddenly vanished off the face of the Earth after the Boo arc. There's nothing saying one way or the other what happened to Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai either, at least as far as I'm aware. Definitely not in the series itself.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed May 17, 2023 11:21 am

Pilaf and gang aren’t that evil. They’re more mischievous than flat out evil.
Cipher wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:44 am There's nothing saying one way or the other what happened to Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai either, at least as far as I'm aware. Definitely not in the series itself.
Toriyama said in a Q&A that they died and weren’t restored to life.

Q3: What became of Tsuru-Sen’nin and Tao Pai-pai afterwards?
Ye~ah… they got mixed up in something or other and died, but they were bad people, so perhaps they weren’t restored to life…
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 17, 2023 1:13 pm

Pilaf and his gang were bad, but not really evil. They were less evil than the two gun men that shot Mr. Satan if you ask me. Magenta is pretty crazy guy, but he is not probably not doing anything to make himself very evil.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed May 17, 2023 2:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:13 pm Pilaf and his gang were bad, but not really evil. They were less evil than the two gun men that shot Mr. Satan if you ask me. Magenta is pretty crazy guy, but he is not probably not doing anything to make himself very evil.
Come to think of it, Magenta is pretty evil, at least during the events of Super Hero. But we don't know what he was up to back then.

Someone else said Porunga was probably just concerned with cosmic evil, not human evil. A human wanting to take over the world is very minor compared to genocidal maniacs like Babidi.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed May 17, 2023 4:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:13 pm Pilaf and his gang were bad, but not really evil. They were less evil than the two gun men that shot Mr. Satan if you ask me. Magenta is pretty crazy guy, but he is not probably not doing anything to make himself very evil.
Yeah i think Magenta was wished back simply because he hasn't done anything truly evil yet in spite of what he planned to do, if being a shady businessman was enough for him to remain dead then 80% of big business would disappear in the dragon world after Buu.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu May 18, 2023 10:34 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:21 am
Cipher wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:44 am There's nothing saying one way or the other what happened to Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai either, at least as far as I'm aware. Definitely not in the series itself.

Ye~ah… they got mixed up in something or other and died, but they were bad people, so perhaps they weren’t restored to life…
"I'll ignore that."
Ashur wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:01 pm Yeah i think Magenta was wished back simply because he hasn't done anything truly evil yet in spite of what he planned to do, if being a shady businessman was enough for him to remain dead then 80% of big business would disappear in the dragon world after Buu.
Magenta had funded Dr. Gero.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu May 18, 2023 2:00 pm

Cipher wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:34 am

"I'll ignore that."
Ashur wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:01 pm Yeah i think Magenta was wished back simply because he hasn't done anything truly evil yet in spite of what he planned to do, if being a shady businessman was enough for him to remain dead then 80% of big business would disappear in the dragon world after Buu.
Where does it say the new Red Ribbon army or even the old one continued to fund gero after the original RR but before it's modern revival?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:21 pm

She/Her

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 20, 2023 12:03 am

TobyS wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:00 pm Where does it say the new Red Ribbon army or even the old one continued to fund gero after the original RR but before it's modern revival?
If I recall correctly, Magenta tells Hedo he'd been funding Gero while trying to recruit Hedo in the car.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 20, 2023 12:58 pm

Ginyu probably gets a free pass because he was a frog and wasn't doing anything.
She/Her

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Fri May 26, 2023 3:33 pm

Cipher wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:34 am

"I'll ignore that."
He still didin't directly harm anyone, like i said it's just like any other businessman.