New Z Blu Rays

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coltigore

New Z Blu Rays

Post by coltigore » Sun May 21, 2023 9:21 am

Howdy all!

Sorry if this question is redundant or has already been asked, but I was at my local walmart the other day and say they had blu rays of DBZ. I've been out of the fandom since about 2020 so I don't know anything about these other than that they're new to me. Are they safe to buy? or is it a case of the orange boxes just being transferred to blu ray? Are they related to that 30th anniversary set from a few years ago? I heard that was a sub-par release. Any chance Funimation is shipping the broadcast audio on these?

rjcx16

Re: New Z Blu Rays

Post by rjcx16 » Sun May 21, 2023 10:16 am

I'm assuming you are referring to the 3 season set orange brick Blu-rays? Those are just the same as the individual 2013 single season Blu-rays, just in exclusive box set packaging. As a collector, I bought them when they came out, simply because the packaging is different. If you don't really care about that, they are one and the same.

More info can be found at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=46861

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 am

I just want to say that there is no official product that has the Japanese broadcast audio and I don't foresee that changing. There's a sense that anyone working on Dragon Ball uses the "Eh, good enough" approach. Even the Super Hero Blu-ray, which says that the Blu-ray disc has "special features" on it. Well, if you call trailers and promo videos for the very movie that you bought "special features," then I guess you'd be happy. Nobody working on Dragon Ball is going to go out of their way to give fans anything more than the exact bare minimum.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon May 22, 2023 9:37 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 am I just want to say that there is no official product that has the Japanese broadcast audio and I don't foresee that changing. There's a sense that anyone working on Dragon Ball uses the "Eh, good enough" approach.
Not true as of last year. France is putting out releases with the Broadcast Audio, half of Dragon Ball is now officially released with it.
Hopefully this opens the gateway into other countries following suit and giving the fandom a legitimate way of enjoying the japanese audio with not-garbage quality.

coltigore

Post by coltigore » Mon May 22, 2023 10:17 am

rjcx16 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:16 am I'm assuming you are referring to the 3 season set orange brick Blu-rays? Those are just the same as the individual 2013 single season Blu-rays, just in exclusive box set packaging. As a collector, I bought them when they came out, simply because the packaging is different. If you don't really care about that, they are one and the same.

More info can be found at this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=46861
That's a massive shame. I saw the French remasters and watched Ajay's video about them, and I'm seriously considering importing, ripping the discs to my hard drive, and adding the .ass files from an English release, but that seems like a massive endeavor

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:58 pm

BlueChi wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:37 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 am I just want to say that there is no official product that has the Japanese broadcast audio and I don't foresee that changing. There's a sense that anyone working on Dragon Ball uses the "Eh, good enough" approach.
Not true as of last year. France is putting out releases with the Broadcast Audio, half of Dragon Ball is now officially released with it.
Hopefully this opens the gateway into other countries following suit and giving the fandom a legitimate way of enjoying the japanese audio with not-garbage quality.
Oh is that a fact? Very interesting. I guess I should say that Toei and Funimation/Crunchyroll's releases are very minimal. I kind of stopped hoping.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:08 pm

Just found out a fan tried to clean up the level sets (not sure if its the same one I read about a few years ago where they used frame comparisons to dig up extra detail) but it shows a cleaner version of FUNi's masters

This, as much as I am not bothered by the 30th, is how that release should have looked.

However, I actually wonder if a lot of the issues from the 30th isnt so much the DNR, but actual edge ehancement that exposes a lot of the issues with their remaster.

For comparison, the 30th

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 pm

God, those 30th Anniversary images look terrible. And tone-deaf Funimation refused to get the message.

Best to hang on to the Dragon Boxes until AB Video does a version similar to Box 1 of the original series.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:37 pm

DB1984 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 pm God, those 30th Anniversary images look terrible. And tone-deaf Funimation refused to get the message.

Best to hang on to the Dragon Boxes until AB Video does a version similar to Box 1 of the original series.
I actually cant get around the AI upscaling. I guess thats my straw :lol: I mean it looks good but there is just some inauthentic feeling around it. Plus the Dragon Boxes were more than fine. I do like the color correction tho