AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:02 pm

Flameo Hotman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:28 am Hmm. I may just opt to buy the DB Kai DVDs or Blu Rays for Z and wait until Z gets a proper release.
Kai IS a good way to watch Z.Less filler, decent remaster, great English dub. I think it's a perfectly acceptable way to watch the show, even if some people in the fandom don't. The only real problem is that The Final Chapters didn't cut out as much filler, mainly the few Hell scenes they left in, but it's still paced better than the original anime for the most part & the dub helps deal with that for me. Not to mention that it's permanently cropped to 16:9, unfortunately. But, I'd rather take The Final Chapters than the shitty season Blu-Rays from 9-10 years ago or the Orange Bricks from 16 years ago.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Flameo Hotman

Post by Flameo Hotman » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:54 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:02 pm
Flameo Hotman wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:28 am Hmm. I may just opt to buy the DB Kai DVDs or Blu Rays for Z and wait until Z gets a proper release.
Kai IS a good way to watch Z.Less filler, decent remaster, great English dub. I think it's a perfectly acceptable way to watch the show, even if some people in the fandom don't. The only real problem is that The Final Chapters didn't cut out as much filler, mainly the few Hell scenes they left in, but it's still paced better than the original anime for the most part & the dub helps deal with that for me. Not to mention that it's permanently cropped to 16:9, unfortunately. But, I'd rather take The Final Chapters than the shitty season Blu-Rays from 9-10 years ago or the Orange Bricks from 16 years ago.
As a german I habe a few options for the original Dragonball. Either the Blue Bricks, the new Selecta Vision Blu Rays or the old german dragonball dvd, which were agruably as bad as the orange bricks or worse.

Really not sure if the Selecta Vision Blu Rays are better or worse than the Blue Bricks.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:11 am

Really late to the game on this, but whatever. But goddamn, this release looks beautiful! Amazing! It's probably the best we're gonna get unless Toei rescans all 153 episodes of the Dragonball anime. Wonderful packaging, A GOOD upscale, proper color correction, the fucking BROADCAST AUDIO, something that just a few years ago, we didn't have for the vast majority of Dragonball. Who would've thought. I can't wait to see how episodes 69-153 look. Hopefully the AB Group is able to use the raw Dragon Box files from Toei for their upscale for the rest of the series instead of DVD rips, since they're not on a time crunch, doing it in under two months after changing their minds on using Selecta Vision's botched upscale from Spain.

And of course, ditto on the possibility of Crunchyroll licensing this release for a domestic release (AS-IS) in North America once AB Group finishes their upscale and release. I say as is, because I assume all of agree that we don't want the corpse of FUNimation touching/fucking up the footage in any way.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Flameo Hotman

Post by Flameo Hotman » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:55 pm

simtek34 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:11 am Really late to the game on this, but whatever. But goddamn, this release looks beautiful! Amazing! It's probably the best we're gonna get unless Toei rescans all 153 episodes of the Dragonball anime. Wonderful packaging, A GOOD upscale, proper color correction, the fucking BROADCAST AUDIO, something that just a few years ago, we didn't have for the vast majority of Dragonball. Who would've thought. I can't wait to see how episodes 69-153 look. Hopefully the AB Group is able to use the raw Dragon Box files from Toei for their upscale for the rest of the series instead of DVD rips, since they're not on a time crunch, doing it in under two months after changing their minds on using Selecta Vision's botched upscale from Spain.

And of course, ditto on the possibility of Crunchyroll licensing this release for a domestic release (AS-IS) in North America once AB Group finishes their upscale and release. I say as is, because I assume all of agree that we don't want the corpse of FUNimation touching/fucking up the footage in any way.
I don't believe Crunchyroll will release the AB Group Upscale anytime soon. In Germany they are the ones that use the Selecta Vision Upscale for our new Blu Rays that come out this year.

I would assume they will do the same for the US and UK

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:02 am

Honestly, if we're going to get any upscale, I would just rather prefer a SD-Bluray or HD-SD source. The Dragon Box, scan wise, already looks really good and with some color correction (and the broadcast audio) would be the best (and arguably most authentic) way to watch the series.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:55 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:02 am Honestly, if we're going to get any upscale, I would just rather prefer a SD-Bluray or HD-SD source. The Dragon Box, scan wise, already looks really good and with some color correction (and the broadcast audio) would be the best (and arguably most authentic) way to watch the series.
I actually decided to pop on a DVD from the Dragon Box release, honestly it held up pretty well on my 4K TV, very watchable still. A decent upscale and some other additions would be alright.

Ill likely continue sticking with these until maybe one day a better HD release comes.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Wed May 17, 2023 3:55 pm

Javaki wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm
sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:03 pm Can you please make direct screen capture comparisons between Selecta, German and French sets?
I unfortunately still didn't receive my German copy yet :| But I'll do French/German comparisons once I do. :thumbup:
I finally got my German copy :D Here are a few comparision shots from the first episode: https://slow.pics/c/2FqafK7Z

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:42 am

I just might get this one day. And kudos for not doing that "Season" crap like FUNImation has done. This show didn't have "seasons". It was like game shows and Daytime Soaps in those days.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 pm

I'm surprised AB Video didn't try to fix the order of the ending (NEP first, then credits). Must be a lot harder than it seems.

Some vintage Toei Animes have kept the original order on DVDs. Here's which ones I know for sure:

GeGeGe no Kitaro (1968-1969 and 1971-1972 versions)
Sakigake!! Otokojuku (1988)

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon May 29, 2023 6:27 pm

It's a shame that everyone except Funimation can do a proper release of the franchise. Even Yu Yu Hakusho has received better releases over DragonBall.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon May 29, 2023 7:50 pm

Two things:

1) Now that I have access to the original broadcast audio for DB/DBZ/DBGT, I can't imagine why anyone would wanna go back to the Dragon Box audio. Though I'd imagine that once AB Video reaches episode #079, they will probably have to use the Dragon Box audio in some spots due to joining in progress in the original airing.

2) Is MKVToolNIX GUI effective in putting the NEP back to where it was originally? Re-timing the subtitle track could be very complicated. That's probably why nobody's ever tried it in fan restoration projects (iKaos; no disrespect intended towards him, of course).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:44 pm

1) Now that I have access to the original broadcast audio for DB/DBZ/DBGT, I can't imagine why anyone would wanna go back to the Dragon Box audio. Though I'd imagine that once AB Video reaches episode #079, they will probably have to use the Dragon Box audio in some spots due to joining in progress in the original airing.
Same here, i have ripped copies of all three series from the Dragon Box with the broadcast audio synced to them and it's really awesome being able to watch the OG anime run with the amazing sounding audio they originally aired with. There's no way in hell i could bring myself to go back to listening to that muffled low quality ass audio ever again.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:56 pm

Javaki wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:55 pm
Javaki wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm
sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:03 pm Can you please make direct screen capture comparisons between Selecta, German and French sets?
I unfortunately still didn't receive my German copy yet :| But I'll do French/German comparisons once I do. :thumbup:
I finally got my German copy :D Here are a few comparision shots from the first episode: https://slow.pics/c/2FqafK7Z
The more I look at this Blu-ray the More I like it. I still can't believe that a official release gave us this kind of quality.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:32 am

^ The German Blu-ray or the French Blu-ray? Because it's a comparison shot, so which one are you talking about here when you say "I can't believe an official release gave us this kind of quality"?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:06 am

No news on second Blu-Ray set, but nothing denied either.

Personally I see no reason to worry, it will come.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:10 pm

Just hope Toei won't complain about broadcast audio...would be a real d.ck move to have 1st box with broadcast audio only to have it switched to DBOX for rest...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm

coola wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:10 pm Just hope Toei won't complain about broadcast audio...would be a real d.ck move to have 1st box with broadcast audio only to have it switched to DBOX for rest...
I doubt if Toei allowed them to use it for the first set, they wouldn't do the same for future ones.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:40 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm
coola wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:10 pm Just hope Toei won't complain about broadcast audio...would be a real d.ck move to have 1st box with broadcast audio only to have it switched to DBOX for rest...
I doubt if Toei allowed them to use it for the first set, they wouldn't do the same for future ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if TOEI were oblivious to the broadcast audio being used. If they could be ignorant of Manga UK using the Yamamoto score on their Kai Blu-Rays in 2015 it's not out of the question they would also be the same way regarding the use of higher quality Japanese audio.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:41 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:06 am No news on second Blu-Ray set, but nothing denied either.

Personally I see no reason to worry, it will come.
It just says "not yet". The picture of vegeta hints at "not yet DBZ release I'd say". The graphical designer of the sets has confirmed he finished the design of the second DB box. For the record AB announced the release of the first DB boxset just a few weeks before they actually released.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:57 am

DB1984 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:36 pm I'm surprised AB Video didn't try to fix the order of the ending (NEP first, then credits). Must be a lot harder than it seems.

Some vintage Toei Animes have kept the original order on DVDs. Here's which ones I know for sure:

GeGeGe no Kitaro (1968-1969 and 1971-1972 versions)
Sakigake!! Otokojuku (1988)
The Slump Boxes did this too, at least with some of the Hoyoyo discs.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.