Is there any countries where Super or the recent movies was the Dragon Ball anime's debut?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Is there any countries where Super or the recent movies was the Dragon Ball anime's debut?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:14 am

It's no question Dragon Ball has seen a resurgence in international popularity over the past decade, even more so when Super came along.

I know it's been asked before whether any fans grew up watching Super specifically (which kind of makes me feel old), but something else I thought of was this. Is there any countries where Dragon Ball has never been on the air or had a theatrical or home media release until Super became a thing?

So far I haven't been able to find any information on Dragon Ball being broadcast in the Aland Islands, Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Jan Mayen Islands, Libya, Liechtenstein and Svalbard before Crunchyroll began to stream Super with subtitles in Japanese, or when Super Broly was released in Angola, Aruba, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Cote d'Ivoire, Curacao, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guinea, Jersey, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mozambique, Palestine, Papau New Guinea, Qatar, Reunion, Saudi Arabia, Sint Maarten, Switzerland, Togo, U.S Virgin Islands. From what I can tell also Super Hero may have also been the debut of this franchise in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Laos, Mauritania, Mongolia, Nigeria, Northern Mariana Islands, Tanzania and Zambia.

Of course having never been to a single one of these places other than Malta I don't consider myself qualified to say Dragon Ball has in fact never been seen in any form until Super and the two recent movies were released, but is there anyone who can confirm?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is there any countries where Super or the recent movies was the Dragon Ball anime's debut?

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:30 am

I guess the thing with Switzerland would be as there are three languages, that they either watch French, German or Italian TV.
So far, DB and Z went there through French TV. Don't know if they were getting the German dub when it aired in Austria or if there were some people watching the Italian.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Is there any countries where Super or the recent movies was the Dragon Ball anime's debut?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:29 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:30 am I guess the thing with Switzerland would be as there are three languages, that they either watch French, German or Italian TV.
So far, DB and Z went there through French TV. Don't know if they were getting the German dub when it aired in Austria or if there were some people watching the Italian.
Thanks, sorry for the late response but I thought I should say because I was talking to some Swiss fans on Reddit recently, and was told their country is split into three regions for media, German parts under German distributors, French parts under French distributors and Italian parts under Italian distributors, meaning shows streaming may be locked in one language or another. In the 90s and 2000s fans received analog TV by using an antenna that was on their TV set or on the roof, if a second antenna was aimed to the French transmitter they could get three more channels. There are no national dubs other than ads with 5 voice actors doing every ad in French with bad lip sync. Swiss fans have access to international TV through cable, AB1 was a paid channel in France but included in regular cable in Switzerland, which means that the AB1 airings of original Dragon Ball, Z and Curse of the Blood Rubies in the early 2000s would have been accessible to more Swiss fans than French fans who didn't have pay TV.

With regards to Malta, something else I heard recently is apparently the UK Cartoon Network runs there, which could possibly mean some Maltese fans may have watched the Westwood and Blue Water dubs when they were airing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 17, 2023 4:47 am

Cool, thanks for the interesting info.
Quite similar to my country, except we didn't got ads and anything, it was just kids watching German RTL II and ORF1 and Polish dubs (one man show voiceover over the French version on RTL7) on Cable TV from the countries around.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 27, 2023 4:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:14 am It's no question Dragon Ball has seen a resurgence in international popularity over the past decade, even more so when Super came along.

I know it's been asked before whether any fans grew up watching Super specifically (which kind of makes me feel old), but something else I thought of was this. Is there any countries where Dragon Ball has never been on the air or had a theatrical or home media release until Super became a thing?

So far I haven't been able to find any information on Dragon Ball being broadcast in the Aland Islands, Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Jan Mayen Islands, Libya, Liechtenstein and Svalbard before Crunchyroll began to stream Super with subtitles in Japanese, or when Super Broly was released in Angola, Aruba, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Cote d'Ivoire, Curacao, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guinea, Jersey, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Martinique, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mozambique, Palestine, Papau New Guinea, Qatar, Reunion, Saudi Arabia, Sint Maarten, Switzerland, Togo, U.S Virgin Islands. From what I can tell also Super Hero may have also been the debut of this franchise in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Laos, Mauritania, Mongolia, Nigeria, Northern Mariana Islands, Tanzania and Zambia.

Of course having never been to a single one of these places other than Malta I don't consider myself qualified to say Dragon Ball has in fact never been seen in any form until Super and the two recent movies were released, but is there anyone who can confirm?
Wasn't broadcasted in Iceland, Norway or Sweden either.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:52 am Wasn't broadcasted in Iceland, Norway or Sweden either.
True, but SF distributed DVDs in Iceland, Norway and Sweden between 2003 and 2005 with movie dubs based on the Big Green dub, so Super wouldn't have been Dragon Ball's debut in those three territories.

I'll take it with a grain of salt because the wikis are reportng the Swedish dubs (which only covers the 9 Z movies and TV specials) are rumoured to have aired on the Norwegian Cartoon Network around 2001. Can you confirm for sure this broadcast never happened?

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun May 28, 2023 12:58 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 pm
sangofe wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:52 am Wasn't broadcasted in Iceland, Norway or Sweden either.
True, but SF distributed DVDs in Iceland, Norway and Sweden between 2003 and 2005 with movie dubs based on the Big Green dub, so Super wouldn't have been Dragon Ball's debut in those three territories.

I'll take it with a grain of salt because the wikis are reportng the Swedish dubs (which only covers the 9 Z movies and TV specials) are rumoured to have aired on the Norwegian Cartoon Network around 2001. Can you confirm for sure this broadcast never happened?
No, I can't confirm but if it did it slipped by me. I was always on the lookout for Scandinavian dubs to air on TV.