What's the problem with Oob?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What's the problem with Oob?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun May 28, 2023 10:43 am

Why can't the story ever move on and include him as an actual character? Does Toriyama feel Oob should become the main protagonist, but that he can't write that? After all he tried with Gohan and couldn't do it, plus I don't think fans would be interested in seeing Goku. GT gives us a glimpse of what it could be like, and Oob just got the Yamcha treatment.

It gets really weird when you get past the stories though. He's not terribly relevant in games (though that could be blamed on fans not caring about him) and DB Online, which was as close as we got to a canon sequel before Super, just ignores him completely.

So, why does everybody forget about this guy? Does Toriyama regret making him?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's the problem with Oob?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 28, 2023 11:07 am

I think it's just because he represents the end of the series. Because Super is all supposed to take place between the end of the Boo story and the manga's epilogue he can't really exist in Super material because he's introduced in said epilogue.

For GT, which does take place after the epilogue, they just wanted to focus on Goku because apparently viewers lose interest in the show when Goku isn't around for very long. Don't know why he couldn't have tagged along on the journey to find the black star balls or help with the shadow dragons but I guess since he's not a legacy character or has strong ties to the cast like Pan, Toei just wasn't very interested in doing much with him

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What's the problem with Oob?

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 28, 2023 11:58 am

Well, one positive thing we would going to get out of an anime adaptation of the Moro saga is that we would see Uub, as Toyotaro remembered him. So there's that.

I don't think there's a problem with Uub specifically, the issue here is from a bigger picture. Decisions and priorities that ultimately make Uub get the short end of the stick. It is odd that Dragon Ball Online didn't provide anything in regards to him, as far as it went. Maybe he would have an important impact or influence on the future as some other characters do that would be revealed at some point later.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~