Criticism

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Criticism

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 21, 2023 7:17 pm

Um... Topic Creator... You DO know you could have just made a new thread to criticize TFS and that WOULD NOT have been closed? Vegetto EX objected to the blatant grave posting. Not your opinions.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed May 24, 2023 4:11 pm

I do hope the name Ultra Instinct Lolicon is ironic.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed May 24, 2023 4:35 pm

This post is just a personal attack and not a critique of how this site or the forms could be better. Which if you aren't aware is usually what gets people banned.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 24, 2023 5:55 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:11 pm I do hope the name Ultra Instinct Lolicon is ironic.
Me too.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed May 24, 2023 8:51 pm

FYI, I never left the forum. I just never see the point in posting here anymore. The English dub can suck balls for all I care. 😂😂😂

If there's constructive criticism I'd like to add, it's the fact that this forum leaves no room for forum members to talk about off-topic subject matter. Stuff other than Dragon Ball. Sometimes, we can't even talk about Akira Toriyama around here. 🤷
The world is your's.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 24, 2023 9:59 pm

tinlunlau wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:51 pm FYI, I never left the forum. I just never see the point in posting here anymore. The English dub can suck balls for all I care. 😂😂😂

If there's constructive criticism I'd like to add, it's the fact that this forum leaves no room for forum members to talk about off-topic subject matter. Stuff other than Dragon Ball. Sometimes, we can't even talk about Akira Toriyama around here. 🤷
To be fair, this is a Dragon Ball forum.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 24, 2023 10:17 pm

I'm sure someone with a life outside of a fandom website like Mike probably doesn't want to add even more to his plate by formally expanding the scope of the discussion forum outside of said fandom.

This website is a second full-time job, is it really surprising a guy with a full-time job, a family and friends would be unlikely to allow formal places for discussing non-Dragon Ball things?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu May 25, 2023 4:55 am

Yuji wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:11 pm I do hope the name Ultra Instinct Lolicon is ironic.
No it is not, they posted weird shit in the sexy pictures thread before
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:31 pm

I'm not really that active here anymore, but a lot of this criticism seems to be a bit...late? This seems aimed at pre-2013 Mike, before I even joined. The moderation has been pretty relaxed since the current wave surged in post-Battle of Gods.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm

Kamiccolo hit the nail on the head. This used to be the kind of spot where any and all grammar, even if English was your second language, would get the once-over by a mod if you made the simplest mistake. We're better off for not having that level of moderation.

Mike has always struck me as a guy who, despite the intense special interest in DB that he shares with us, is a regular fellow. He understands that nuance exists, that others have other opinions, and that there's a clear difference between healthy discussion and bickering. It's become more apparent over the years as other message boards have died out and Kanzenshuu remains -- simply put, because we're one of the few holdouts for such hyperspecific message board culture, we have become more welcoming as a community. Mike's usual posts and moderation style reflect that.

Any time he steps in I appreciate his attitude. It almost never comes off as rude, and trust me, there were times it used to. A lot of us old-timers have grown over the years and I'd say Mike has as a person as well.

Hello again, it me
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:39 pm

Hey! Welcome back!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm

It amazes me how people continue to bring up the Sean Schemmel thing *13 year later* as a bad faith attack. Well, by this point, I don't even know if it's bad faith more than unquestioned Internet lore. I'm just amazed how often it's brought up whenever someone has a bone to pick, despite clearly not having witnessed what actually happened. Of course, it's just as odd and random as attacking a name filter that hasn't existed in nearly as long. This is going to sound a bit self-indulgent, but I had a dramatic falling out with a friend last summer. Then, out of the blue, right before Christmas, she sent me a text message. Without any preamble or apology or acknowledgement of what had happened, she asked me to housesit for her, like I used to when we were friends. I had to almost literally shake the cobwebs out of my head because, for a moment, I wondered if I had fallen back in time. The only way my brain could make sense of that message was to believe none of the surrounding context had happened. I had the same initial reaction to this thread. I had to check to make sure this wasn't a thread that had been revived from 2011 or something.

TL;DR: People can certainly have valid criticisms, but why not actually level those specific criticisms? If it requires you to dredge up examples from over a decade ago that never affected you, it's very difficult to take them in good faith. It instead comes across like you heard someone else bitching about Kanzenshuu and just copy/pasted the same complaints.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 28, 2023 6:19 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm It amazes me how people continue to bring up the Sean Schemmel thing *13 year later* as a bad faith attack.
This is why they say people should be careful what they post online because once it's there it's there forever. I do agree it's unfortunate in a way, because we all change with time it's very common how we come across in our Internet posts several years ago doesn't represent who we are today.

In the case of Sean Schemmel he does seem to have mellowed out a little bit, as he's had his insecurities over other actors for English dubs being known as "the voice of Goku" but he was apparently very supportive of Lex Lang when he got cast in the Bang Zoom dub of Super. 2010 was a tricky time for him, he had been taking, what we may call excessive pride in Kai being dubbed more faithfully than Z and seemed to have a certain amount of concern about fans being more drawn to a potentially less faithful Kai dub from Ocean (at least in terms of music, although ironically that was before the scandal and all other dubs having to use the replacement Kikuchi score. Hence saying fans who don't like Funimation's dub but liked Ocean's "don't like Dragon Ball Z" because they are not getting "the purest experience"), although I'd have to say he has nothing to fear, most fans love the dubs he's a part of, and that's likely never to change at this point.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon May 29, 2023 11:33 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:19 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 pm It amazes me how people continue to bring up the Sean Schemmel thing *13 year later* as a bad faith attack.
This is why they say people should be careful what they post online because once it's there it's there forever. I do agree it's unfortunate in a way, because we all change with time it's very common how we come across in our Internet posts several years ago doesn't represent who we are today.
I'm going to steal self-indulgent from Gaffer Tape. This what I learned and I'm just now rebranding my online presence. I was an overzealous troll, an immature projecter, online-liar(mostly about my age), and quite frankly a jackass. I used to say things just to get a reaction because I was either bored in class or felt lonley(not an excuse). I'm not that person no more. I'm 24 years old and I actually cringe when I read what I use to type online back when I was in middle-highschool. Maturing, Going to a HBCU, becoming more social, and being myself online changed me for the better. Thankfully online stuff wasn't as integrated into our society as much as it is now. I would smack my old self upside his head. I didn't burn any bridges since quite honestly it wasn't a bridge to be burned, I just don't like how I used to act online :lol: .

Also I'm suprirsed VegettoEX hasn't locked this thread yet or at least relocate it.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 29, 2023 4:06 pm

I began lurking these forums around December 2011, even though I didn’t make my own account until a full two years later, but I do remember getting the impression that there was a bit of an elitist attitude here , but I don’t really see that nowadays. I feel like now that the Japanese version has become more widely accepted, you’re less likely to see wars between sub and dub fans, and as others have said, that whole word filter thing is long gone.

Frankly, the fact that this thread hasn’t been locked yet seems like a pretty good testament to the fact that the mods have become more accepting and nuanced.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed May 31, 2023 6:13 pm

I think VegettoEX has good and bad moments, just like most "normal" human beings that we know of. :wink: :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:35 am

Man, penguintruth was my mate here on the forums!
He is still pretty much active on animenewsnetwork and haven’t lost his edge :lol: I do miss him ever since…

This is insanely funny thread! Kudos to the OP for the balls of steel to write something like that, even tho I disagree for the most part.
I think that this message board is a safe space among the wide open internet and while some jerks do pop up from time to time, VegettoEX is far from a jerk. Strict? Yeah, but fair :))
And honestly, we’ve all matured in a way, myself included and being in the age range of users 30-40.

I think the sub and dub wars are quite over, since American audience is finally getting faithful adaptations and the era of DiC, Saban, Fox Kids and other butcherers from the 90s is over… Anyone can enjoy anything and here we are to discuss the pros and cons of everything in respectful manner :)

Otherwise you are just like an old man screaming at clouds.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:35 am I think the sub and dub wars are quite over, since American audience is finally getting faithful adaptations and the era of DiC, Saban, Fox Kids and other butcherers from the 90s is over… Anyone can enjoy anything and here we are to discuss the pros and cons of everything in respectful manner :)

Cue Chris Sabat's unprompted criticism of Joji Yanami's Kaio performance in the middle of a panel that had nothing to do with dub vs. sub differences (complete with a cringe imitation of Yanami to boot). Very unprofessional and disrespectful to the recently deceased Yanami.

He's very much that old man screaming at clouds.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:13 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:25 am
MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:35 am I think the sub and dub wars are quite over, since American audience is finally getting faithful adaptations and the era of DiC, Saban, Fox Kids and other butcherers from the 90s is over… Anyone can enjoy anything and here we are to discuss the pros and cons of everything in respectful manner :)

Cue Chris Sabat's unprompted criticism of Joji Yanami's Kaio performance in the middle of a panel that had nothing to do with dub vs. sub differences (complete with a cringe imitation of Yanami to boot). Very unprofessional and disrespectful to the recently deceased Yanami.

He's very much that old man screaming at clouds.
I agree, but Chris Sabat is not a member of this forum. At least I think :D
I prefer Japanese original myself, as I grew up on French and German version, but speak neither, therefore it is Japanese with subs for me.
I never much liked US dubs of anime, because they were dubbed more like cartoons, but I can understand why people prefer their native language over subs. I do watch everything in original sound except for originals in my native language of course, so I don't really care about the foreign cast... but making fun of Yanami, who played his role despite his health condition and it was clear from his performance, I have nothing to say on that if true.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:48 pm

My point was that there's still folks out there willing to fan those flames. I brought up Sabat because he's the most prominent and recent example.

In regards to the forum specifically, I get the sense that most of the long-time members have gone through the dub vs. sub thing so many times that it's been thoroughly exhausted as a discussion point. Along with chilling out about it with age.