Dragons and Potara

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinPopo

Dragons and Potara

Post by MajinPopo » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:16 pm

Do the Dragons have properly corporeal forms, or are they more like projections? If the latter, are they projections from a separate pocket Dragon Realm? Furthermore, if that's the case are they corporeal within their own realm but projections when summoned on a planet?

These are all prerequisite questions to my main question.

Could the Dragons hypothetically use Potara Earrings and fuse?

Could Shenron fuse with Porunga or with Toronbo? If so, would the wish-granting powers be boosted, and in the case of Toronbo, would the COST of a wish be exacerbated?

They're functionally immortal barring accidents and are "Eternal Dragons", so would any time limit exist for the fusion?

And what would happen to the Dragonballs themselves assuming two dragons were summoned and fused?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragons and Potara

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Shenlong was flat-out murdered by Demon King Piccolo, so there's certainly SOME kind of "corporeal" form to him!

Super definitely adds onto the lore a little bit with the episode where Pan's sick (though I suppose the standard "but that's filler!" complaint/argument/levy could be made if you really want to get into the weeds)...

... anyway, in it, we see Shenlong not just get frustrated with the lack of timeliness on a wish, but actually struggle to stay "there" (as if he had to pee real bad!). I don't really know how that factors into the question, but eh? Seemed important!

Finally, I guess I want to note that "Eternal Dragon" as a specific phrase is just a general dub-ism; it's a pretty basic "dragon god" in its original Japanese (well... Chinese). I suppose you could go down the argument rabbit hole of whether or not a "god" is "immortal" or "eternal" by any real measure, but considering how many "gods" we see that follow the typical Buddhism/Hinduism style of bureaucratic regular ol' dudes and dudettes that simply have long lives...

I bet dragons could fuse, and I bet a Potara fusion would last until an external factor affected it. Toybleotaro had some strong opinions and head-canon about the dragons in his AF fan comic!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:19 pm

What if Piccolo took Porunga's place in the Namekian dragon balls and got Gohan to wish his freedom? Would that be too Return of Jafar for Dragon Ball? I'm just glad that he became Orange instead.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:58 pm

You know, the post above made me realise something, asking a dragon to create a new set of dragon balls is technically a perfectly fine wish, since that would actually be well within the capabilities of its owner, I mean, the owner created the dragon balls in the first place (or at least he inherited them), so it stands within reason that the dragons would be able to repeat such a feat.

This would lead to a virtually infinite amount of dragons (and thus, a virtually infinite amount of wishes), completely breaking what little sanity and consistency are left in the series.

It's not exactly a new trope, either, Cyanide and Happiness did that more than 10 years ago:

The only possible caveat is that Dende once explained that creating a new set of dragon balls would require one year, so I can see that such a wish might require the same amount of time to be carried out, but still, I think it would be a legal wish.