TV Azteca is censoring DBZ a whole lot.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

TV Azteca is censoring DBZ a whole lot.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 03, 2023 2:24 am

There seems to be a whole series of videos about how much TV Azteca is censoring DBZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCbaAEXPLk

Here is one of them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: TV Azteca is censoring DBZ a whole lot.

Post by sangofe » Wed May 03, 2023 9:08 am

You should write what country the channel is from and what dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am

Honestly, doesn't seem that bad. It's unfortunate they're editing it at all but they still kept Gero's hand through Yamcha it just seems they had a problem with the long shot of it and the gushing blood coming out of Yamcha's hole when Gero pulls out. I think it was more censored on Toonami, pretty sure they completely removed Gero impaling Yamcha iirc. Editing out Gero's skin mag seemed a bit over the top but perhaps they're just being overly cautious after what happened in Argentina.

Price of having Dragon Ball on tv is you gotta deal with network BS&P *shrug,
sangofe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:08 am You should write what country the channel is from and what dub.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Azteca

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed May 03, 2023 10:04 am

I have seen a few of those videos on that channel, and I noticed how oddly selective they are when it comes to censoring the scenes involving character being impaled by someone's arm. They include the shots that show the hands going into the chests, but not wider shots that show the whole body of the one who got impaled...I'd argue that the hand going through the chest looks more graphic than a still of the arm inside the chest, but okay.

Also, the censoring of Freeza getting cut in half was so redundant. They show him splitting in half already, why bother cutting out the shot of his halves floating away in the air?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Wed May 03, 2023 12:07 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:04 am I have seen a few of those videos on that channel, and I noticed how oddly selective they are when it comes to censoring the scenes involving character being impaled by someone's arm. They include the shots that show the hands going into the chests, but not wider shots that show the whole body of the one who got impaled...I'd argue that the hand going through the chest looks more graphic than a still of the arm inside the chest, but okay.

Also, the censoring of Freeza getting cut in half was so redundant. They show him splitting in half already, why bother cutting out the shot of his halves floating away in the air?
Hard agree. I'm also not so sure on the target demo this is for. Like, this is not really appropriate for kids since the impalement is still shown somewhat, but it is not really a great version for teens either since it still takes out too much of the violence and stuff like that.

Or maybe S&P is different in the time slot chosen today than it is back then? I don't really know

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:09 am Honestly, doesn't seem that bad. It's unfortunate they're editing it at all but they still kept Gero's hand through Yamcha it just seems they had a problem with the long shot of it and the gushing blood coming out of Yamcha's hole when Gero pulls out. I think it was more censored on Toonami, pretty sure they completely removed Gero impaling Yamcha iirc. Editing out Gero's skin mag seemed a bit over the top but perhaps they're just being overly cautious after what happened in Argentina.

Price of having Dragon Ball on tv is you gotta deal with network BS&P *shrug,
sangofe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:08 am You should write what country the channel is from and what dub.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Azteca
I know. I actually dont really mind any sort of censorship as long as DB is being exposed to a wide audience.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 03, 2023 7:22 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:07 pm
Hard agree. I'm also not so sure on the target demo this is for. Like, this is not really appropriate for kids since the impalement is still shown somewhat, but it is not really a great version for teens either since it still takes out too much of the violence and stuff like that.
I would argue uncensored Dragon Ball Z is entirely appropriate for kids past the "you're old enough to know better not to hit people" age.

Early Dragon Ball I can kinda sorta almost see why people would be wary of showing it with its more risque humor to kids under 11 but DBZ? 6 and up is totally is

Or maybe S&P is different in the time slot chosen today than it is back then? I don't really know
Most likely yes. Standards and Practices change all the time at the drop of the hat and usually in response to what's going on in the world or based on parental complaints. Things like Roshi's antics might have gotten a pass before but post #MeToo are more likely going to be put under harsher scrutiny (although that scene of him and Oolong going wild over a skin mag isn't really that bad)

And Standards and Practices are known for making the wildest distinctions that no sane person would even think about. "You can have him lift up her skirt but we can't see that her panties are white with pink polka dots" "He can bleed as long as his blood isn't red"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:22 pm
Wrigglything wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:07 pm
I would argue uncensored Dragon Ball Z is entirely appropriate for kids past the "you're old enough to know better not to hit people" age.
I feel like what you see in DBZ is no different than what you would find in most PG-13 action movies. If your kid can sit through the recent superhero movies, then DBZ would be fine. The series uncut is TV PG (the same rating that most cartoons now have) or TV-14 (The TV version of PG-13).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:00 pm

TV Azteca will air Dragon Ball GT Now.