Looking back on DBZ Legends (Dragon Ball Densetsu/DBZ: The Legend)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Looking back on DBZ Legends (Dragon Ball Densetsu/DBZ: The Legend)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:44 pm

How do you guys feel about this game? This game is a fun nostalgic piece of my childhood with it being the first DBZ game that I played. One of my friends had a friend who had the game on the PS1. As a kid, it felt awesome to play something from Japan and seeing characters that haven't appear yet in the dub. The same person also had GT Final Bout and I loved it too as a 10 year old. The game is nothing special by today's fans seeing that they have the Sparking games and Xenoverse which took some inspiration from Legends.

Many years later, I got the game for my Sega Saturn and I forgot how the controls were the game were. I will admit that some parts of the game haven't aged that great. The game takes some time to get used too. Characters can only get hurt when you pull off special attacks, and it can be tedious at times. However, I still think it's a fun game nevertheless. It may not be for everyone, but I do recommend it for old school DBZ fans.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Looking back on DBZ Legends (Dragon Ball Densetsu/DBZ: The Legend)

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:44 pm

I owned both the PS1 version, and the Sega Saturn version. The Sega Saturn version was my favorite. It's the DBZ game I have had the most fun with. Ever. I've never played a DBZ game so much and not getting tired of it. It was quite revolutionary for its time and TBH I prefer DBZ Legends over the Sparking and Raging blasts games. I guess there are games that are more similar than the sparking games but I haven't played them much and I don't remember their titles.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Looking back on DBZ Legends (Dragon Ball Densetsu/DBZ: The Legend)

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:33 pm

Although a retelling, it still is one of the greatest Dragon Ball games. At first I remember it being repetitive, but once you learn some gameplay stuff it becomes quite fun. Pulling out a huge combo is so satisfying.

I've always paid attention to the aura when charging Ki and the aura when flying towards or away from the opponent. They're the same as the anime, as well as Kamehameha having the same sound effect as in the anime that I have always loved to hear. It's great.

I also thought it was pretty cool that if you try to be faithful to the series, some things happened. Like letting Kuririn die to play "early" as Super Saiyan Goku, I would only know about that years later. I just wished this could have been used more. Like letting Android 16 die to play as Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, for instance. You get a bunch of cool images in the end of the game by doing that.

My favorite thing has to be that you can sit back and see the CPU fighting while listening to the characters in the background. It's in Japanese, but still...

This is one game that would greatly benefit from a remake, especially if they were able to maintain some mechanics, visuals and effects. And more importantly, if they added new stuff, of course. Can't keep retelling an old story and not have anything new. I wouldn't mind if they kept the technique as cutscenes, they were cool too although I always avoided Genki-Dama, that one took forever.

(I still want Ozotto in the original game, goddamn you all!).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~