What Dragon Ball merchandise do you keep unopened/sealed?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

What Dragon Ball merchandise do you keep unopened/sealed?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:49 am

It's no secret that my Dragon Ball collection is... extensive. It mainly consists of endless shelves of magazines and other archival material, which naturally NEEDS to be opened in order to reference what's inside!

I generally don't believe in any of this needing to be "hoarded" for "value" in an "untouched" kind of state... but that said, I have a few random things that I've somehow managed to keep sealed in their original packaging. Sharing a few of those below!

I'd love to hear what you all keep sealed, for whatever strange (or not so strange!) reasons they may be!

Dragon Ball Super: Broly Original Soundtrack
I didn't care for the movie. I really didn't care for its soundtrack. I keep this sealed as a testament to that fact, and to eternally frustrate specific people (namely Ajay, Tyson, and Terez).

Dragon Ball Online Korean Guidebook
When I was able to track down a place to purchase this (pretty sure TheDevilsCorpse helped me out on that?), I actually ordered two of them knowing that I would probably destroy one for scanning. I kept the second on in its original shrink wrap just for the heck of it!

Dragon Ball GT Game Boy Advance Video
I originally bought a loose cart of this, and later managed to find a ridiculously cheap sealed version that I just keep like this because it's funny.

Original North American Super Battle Collection Figures
I own Goku, Vegeta, Super Saiyan Vegeta, and Freeza from this line. Yes, Bandai actually released these directly themselves in North America back during the original syndication run! Irwin's later release wasn't the first time! These are notable for things like, well, spelling "Freeza" correctly!

Krillin with a Machine Gun
Never forget.

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What Dragon Ball merchandise do you keep unopened/sealed?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:47 pm

I typically open all of the things I buy. Recently, to pay for medications, I wound up selling my unopened Japanese release of Dragon Ball Super: Broli, which I had really only kept sealed because I never had time to watch it. As a result, it earned me quite a pretty penny. :rofl:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:49 am It's no secret that my Dragon Ball collection is... extensive. It mainly consists of endless shelves of magazines and other archival material, which naturally NEEDS to be opened in order to reference what's inside!

I generally don't believe in any of this needing to be "hoarded" for "value" in an "untouched" kind of state... but that said, I have a few random things that I've somehow managed to keep sealed in their original packaging. Sharing a few of those below!

I'd love to hear what you all keep sealed, for whatever strange (or not so strange!) reasons they may be!

Dragon Ball Super: Broly Original Soundtrack
I didn't care for the movie. I really didn't care for its soundtrack. I keep this sealed as a testament to that fact, and to eternally frustrate specific people (namely Ajay, Tyson, and Terez).

Dragon Ball Online Korean Guidebook
When I was able to track down a place to purchase this (pretty sure TheDevilsCorpse helped me out on that?), I actually ordered two of them knowing that I would probably destroy one for scanning. I kept the second on in its original shrink wrap just for the heck of it!

Dragon Ball GT Game Boy Advance Video
I originally bought a loose cart of this, and later managed to find a ridiculously cheap sealed version that I just keep like this because it's funny.

Original North American Super Battle Collection Figures
I own Goku, Vegeta, Super Saiyan Vegeta, and Freeza from this line. Yes, Bandai actually released these directly themselves in North America back during the original syndication run! Irwin's later release wasn't the first time! These are notable for things like, well, spelling "Freeza" correctly!

Krillin with a Machine Gun
Never forget.

Oh god Gameboy Advance video. That's a thing that aged well alright lol!

Also I am to see Vegetto EX join the board with such an awesome thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:17 pm

None. The Dragon Ball merchandise I buy, which is almost exclusively Blu-Rays, manga volumes, Derek Padula's books, I purchase solely to consume. I'm not interested in keeping anything sealed in the hopes it will have resale value, because unless it's something highly sought after like the Rock the Dragon set or Dragon Boxes (which I would rather watch and keep because they look nice) your relying on chance for its value to grow at best.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:40 pm

Most my Funi Dragon Boxes still have their plastic wrap, for whatever protection that gives the boxes, but they are most certainly opened. At this point I leave it on because it is funny that they have been half-wrapped for that long.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:41 pm

The thing is, a lot of this stuff just breaks down, anyway, especially the figures. I have mostly tried to buy things I plan on keeping but unforeseeable things so occur sometimes, so I've definitely found myself parting with a lot of stuff as it is.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:25 pm

Whenever I go to Japan I always at some point hit up the crane games for the Dragon Ball figures. I have a few that are unopened simply because I don’t have much reason to and can’t be arsed to do so—otherwise, everything is pretty much purchased for consumption in one form or another.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:20 pm

I used to have a fairly big collection of Super Battle Collection and early Irwin stuff sealed, but I sold them off in a massive downsizing a couple of years ago. Not that I didn't love them, but the money was too good to pass up.
The only things I have sealed now are less of a collection and more of a "I just happen to have them" situation. I have a handful of Funimation VHS still in the shrinkwrap.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:58 pm

I have kept the Dragon Ball Super collector editions from AB sealed as well as their recent BD set of DB, the blu ray movie edition, the "special" Kazé release of the bardock and plan to eradicate the super saiyans... When I think about it, it's actually more or less most from recent years.