Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:33 am

Deep down, people don't want the lore to be explored. When it does it's almost always disappointing. Most of the time, just hinting at things or making reference to something is way better. I feel like people get that on a subconscious level.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:11 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:33 am Deep down, people don't want the lore to be explored. When it does it's almost always disappointing. Most of the time, just hinting at things or making reference to something is way better. I feel like people get that on a subconscious level.
As ambivalent as I am to it personally, I'm pretty sure a lot of people here do want the lore to be explored. Some people really do just consume fiction primarily for things like lore and worldbuilding.

Just because you get disappointed by something doesn't mean you didn't want it beforehand. You could say "they shouldn't want it" so as to mitigate that disappointment, but that doesn't mean that they don't, in fact, want it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 am

Zephyr wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:11 am
ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:33 am Deep down, people don't want the lore to be explored. When it does it's almost always disappointing. Most of the time, just hinting at things or making reference to something is way better. I feel like people get that on a subconscious level.
As ambivalent as I am to it personally, I'm pretty sure a lot of people here do want the lore to be explored. Some people really do just consume fiction primarily for things like lore and worldbuilding.

Just because you get disappointed by something doesn't mean you didn't want it beforehand. You could say "they shouldn't want it" so as to mitigate that disappointment, but that doesn't mean that they don't, in fact, want it.
No, I think on a subconscious level people get that this stuff isn't the reason they love their fictional worlds. And I don't want to tell someone "You shouldn't want this". Not my place. Who consumes fiction primarily for information?

It's like the Holidays. People love presents, but I think at some point, people realize the anticipation is the fun part. I feel like people misdiagnose where the real enjoyment is stemming from, and if they got what they supposedly want, they wouldn't like it nearly as much. I think people enjoy imagining exploring the world beyond the page/frame.

I'm sure there are some that enjoy exploring pure information of fictional universes, but they're in the minority. I say all this because I think not many will agree with me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:01 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 amNo, I think on a subconscious level people get that this stuff isn't the reason they love their fictional worlds. And I don't want to tell someone "You shouldn't want this". Not my place.
I feel like it's just as little your place to tell someone what they should want as it is to tell someone what they really want. You're basically claiming insight into something about someone that they have much better and direct access to. You may very well be correct, but it just seems like a really bold claim to make.

The Holidays analogy tracks for me insofar as we're talking about gifts; seeing a wrapped present fills the mind with anticipation and speculation, and once it's opened there's usually much less 'magic' there. Though there's also the aspect of friends and family getting together for the occasions, and in my experience at least that tends to be more enjoyable than the anticipation of it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:09 am

Zephyr wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:01 am
ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 amNo, I think on a subconscious level people get that this stuff isn't the reason they love their fictional worlds. And I don't want to tell someone "You shouldn't want this". Not my place.
I feel like it's just as little your place to tell someone what they should want as it is to tell someone what they really want. You're basically claiming insight into something about someone that they have much better and direct access to.

You may very well be correct, but it just seems like a really bold claim to make.
I guess that's fair, but it's been my experience that most people enjoy the anticipation, or use of their imagination than having all the blanks filled in. It's partly introspection and discussions I've had with lots of people over the years, but also observation about people in general. People often want things or say they want things and then aren't that satisfied after they get them, or the satisfaction doesn't last that long. And regarding fiction, a big reason why certain things are effective just as much because of what we don't see as much if not more than what we do see. You make it seem like I'm saying this about someone specific.

I know it would be unpopular, hence why I wrote this.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:46 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:09 amPeople often want things or say they want things and then aren't that satisfied after they get them, or the satisfaction doesn't last that long.
I can definitely relate to this, though in my experience I find that's usually the result of spending too much time speculating on something and building a certain expectation up in my head, such that the real actual thing doesn't actually measure up. So I've trained myself to expect, or at least mentally prime myself for the worst, when going into something or receiving something, which usually leads to a pleasant surprise. Works quite well.

We can kind of see this with works of fiction. For instance, if we ever got a story where Goku and Vegeta go and visit Universe 6, I'm not sure if it even could live up to the expectations that a lot of people have probably built up in their heads by this point.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 pm

I actually WANT them to redo Dragon Ball MORE than anything else.

Redo the original Dragon Ball with modern art and animation and remove the filler and talking from the fights. Make it more like the manga and I also wouldn't mind more backstories explored with older characters like Roshi, Shen, Gohan, Ox King, King Piccolo/Kami, etc...

I literally want this more than for the franchise to go beyond EoZ.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:11 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 pm I actually WANT them to redo Dragon Ball MORE than anything else.

Redo the original Dragon Ball with modern art and animation and remove the filler and talking from the fights. Make it more like the manga and I also wouldn't mind more backstories explored with older characters like Roshi, Shen, Gohan, Ox King, King Piccolo/Kami, etc...

So you simultaneously want "No filler" and "Exploring backstories that werent in the manga"

????
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:43 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 pm I actually WANT them to redo Dragon Ball MORE than anything else.

It feels like what you really want is a prequel spin off that revolves around Muten Roshi from his training to becoming a teacher.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:10 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:43 pm

It feels like what you really want is a prequel spin off that revolves around Muten Roshi from his training to becoming a teacher.
The backstories would be delightful extras, but not a must. Maybe use an extra ep or 2 to flesh out slept on, but important characters.

That said, it's not mandatory. I would just be happy for a remake, honestly.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:11 pm

So you simultaneously want "No filler" and "Exploring backstories that werent in the manga"

????
By "filler" I mean the super long talking and staredowns mid fight. That's all. If the extra content actually adds to the lore, idc. Maybe I used the term incorrectly.

In the manga, the fights are far better. That's what I'm talking about.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:36 pm

I don't think it's the staredowns or talking that hurts the pacing of the fights, it's the endless cutaways to whatever other characters outside of the battle are doing.

And adding to the lore won't help the stories. See my previous post. More information won't add much value to Dragon Ball. What the story needs is character and drama and action, not information.

I'd be all for seeing Vegeta go to Planet Vegeta in Universe 6. I think there's a good story waiting to happen. However, if it's just to explore or add to the lore, then no.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:23 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:10 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:43 pm

The backstories would be delightful extras, but not a must. Maybe use an extra ep or 2 to flesh out slept on, but important characters.

That said, it's not mandatory. I would just be happy for a remake, honestly.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:11 pm

That is very much true the show would be much better without those.

????
By "filler" I mean the super long talking and staredowns mid fight. That's all. If the extra content actually adds to the lore, idc. Maybe I used the term incorrectly.

In the manga, the fights are far better. That's what I'm talking about.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:43 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:36 pm I don't think it's the staredowns or talking that hurts the pacing of the fights, it's the endless cutaways to whatever other characters outside of the battle are doing.

And adding to the lore won't help the stories. See my previous post. More information won't add much value to Dragon Ball. What the story needs is character and drama and action, not information.

I'd be all for seeing Vegeta go to Planet Vegeta in Universe 6. I think there's a good story waiting to happen. However, if it's just to explore or add to the lore, then no.
That too. To me it's especially painful when you already know what's going to happen.

I would just like to see more of what the other characters were doing in their hay day, given everything we know. I just think someone like the Ox King in his youth would be a cool character to see fight. Same thing with Gohan. Gohan sounds like he could've been a badass martial artists in his youth.To me it always boils down to fights.

Not really a story guy when it comes to animation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:48 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:43 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:36 pm I don't think it's the staredowns or talking that hurts the pacing of the fights, it's the endless cutaways to whatever other characters outside of the battle are doing.

That too. To me it's especially painful when you already know what's going to happen.

I would just like to see more of what the other characters were doing in their hay day, given everything we know. I just think someone like the Ox King in his youth would be a cool character to see fight. Same thing with Gohan. Gohan sounds like he could've been a badass martial artists in his youth.To me it always boils down to fights.

What about animation makes the story less important?

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:56 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:48 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:43 pm

What about animation makes the story less important?
To me, the visuals overwhelm the story to the point where it becomes irrelevant. I watch animated/drawn fiction to see the impossible. Not to soak in good writing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:05 pm

None of this is antithetical to great writing. But whatever. You're welcome to that belief.

I'm gonna make like a tree and get out of here.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:16 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:05 pm None of this is antithetical to great writing. But whatever. You're welcome to that belief.

I'm gonna make like a tree and get out of here.
I don't think its antithetical, I just don't care about that aspect of the work.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:39 am

Not sure if everyone, but I don’t really need anything more on Namekian Book of Legends, or the first Super Saiyan or seeing spin offs with other universes’ characters.

But, I love the lore when it’s linked to the story, besides tidbits and on the other hand, I don’t like blatant plotholes.
Storywise in Ressurection F, not showing how Goku and Vegeta got SSJ Blue made sense for the surprise value of using it against Freeza, even tho it lacks the buildup in-between the movies, but it’s fine.
Having Pilaf and kids in Super, without explaining why, that is an error.

Also, having seen a lot of anime since, all these: We shall fight again someday, I shall visit your planet someday, we shall have a feast someday… is more like a honorary claim than a promise of that really happening, so I am not taking those as a promise to be letdown later :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:04 am

Sometimes I feel that the Freeza arc is overrated. While Freeza is often hailed as one the best if not the best villain of the series, that arc dragged on for too long, it also doesn't help that planet Namek is quite lame.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:22 am

Noah wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:04 am Sometimes I feel that the Freeza arc is overrated. While Freeza is often hailed as one the best if not the best villain of the series, that arc dragged on for too long, it also doesn't help that planet Namek is quite lame.
I would agree with this. It's a great arc but it's overrated. A lot of people rank it as the best, but for the reasons mentioned, I don't think it holds that spot.