Woohoo! More News About The New Dragonball Special!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:09 pm

It really depends on the length of the special. I doubt Funi would try to put out a DVD with less than 30 minutes of animation.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
DNA wrote:I find it amazing how you guys "know" how things go between Toei and Funimation.
Here's an idea, wait and see how it goes. Like some people around here say, we don't even know what it is so, just wait and see.
I'll gurrantee you my scenerio is the correct one.
Good for you, let's move one then.

Another idea that for a special that I thought about a long time ago is the story of the original "Piccolo", meaning, the son of Katutso before the separation.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:Funimation offers Toei big bag of money and Toei accepts and hands over special. That is how these things always go.
If FUNimation was willing to give Toei big bags of money to get this new special that would make me a sad panda, seeing as they wouldn't pay Toei money to be able to use the Dragon Box footage. (Toei let other countries use the Dragon Box footage, I'm sure had FUNimation been willing to pay big bucks they'd have let them use them.)
­

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:37 pm

Taku128 wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Funimation offers Toei big bag of money and Toei accepts and hands over special. That is how these things always go.
If FUNimation was willing to give Toei big bags of money to get this new special that would make me a sad panda, seeing as they wouldn't pay Toei money to be able to use the Dragon Box footage. (Toei let other countries use the Dragon Box footage, I'm sure had FUNimation been willing to pay big bucks they'd have let them use them.)
Why would they pay for the same show twice? I wouldn't.

The irony is not lost on me that Funimation expects their own customers to buy the exact same show over and over again.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Are we sure that Funi didn't have access to the Dragon Box footage? It seems like their remastered sets were a decision consciously made to appeal to the lowest common denomenator.
Fooling around with picture settings on my TV, I found that the season sets look best when I use the auto-setting for "movies." Combined with the widescreen format, it seems like Funi wanted to put out episodes that would look best on the set-up the average American consumer has right now. The remastering was probably done to imitate current digital coloring techniques. While most of us here are fans of older animation and enjoy the grainy look of the original series, I imagine that kids nowadays are most drawn to the bright (read: near-neon), textureless look of the season sets.
So, from a marketing executive's POV, the current sets probably seem like the clear choice compared to the Dragon Box.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:50 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:Are we sure that Funi didn't have access to the Dragon Box footage? It seems like their remastered sets were a decision consciously made to appeal to the lowest common denomenator.
Fooling around with picture settings on my TV, I found that the season sets look best when I use the auto-setting for "movies." Combined with the widescreen format, it seems like Funi wanted to put out episodes that would look best on the set-up the average American consumer has right now. The remastering was probably done to imitate current digital coloring techniques. While most of us here are fans of older animation and enjoy the grainy look of the original series, I imagine that kids nowadays are most drawn to the bright (read: near-neon), textureless look of the season sets.
So, from a marketing executive's POV, the current sets probably seem like the clear choice compared to the Dragon Box.
Too bad the sets would have sold no matter the footage or gimmick used to push them.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:06 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:It really depends on the length of the special. I doubt Funi would try to put out a DVD with less than 30 minutes of animation.
That's true, but hopefully they'll decide to add a lot of extras (Fuji TV Year End Special please) and promos that weren't released with the Dragonboxs so that they will have enough material to warrant a disc release.

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 pm

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php ... stcount=52

I don't know what I like the more, the presence of Lunch or that the humans Z-figthers look like they will have a active role.

The special also appear to be "out of continuity" with Buu saga characters such as kid Goten and Trunks at the same time that a bald Krillin, a Goku with the Turtle symbol on his back and a Tenshinhan with his Android saga outfit.
Last edited by Stargazer on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Or...it could just be random artwork.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Or...it could just be random artwork.
On a page that talk about the specials for the 40th Weekly Jump Anniversary, at the left of the poster for the Romance Dawn adaptation for the One Piece special, also, notice the two new characters between Trunks/Goten and Kaio.

It's look like a poster made for the Dragon Ball special for me.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Stargazer wrote:http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php ... stcount=52

I don't know what I like the more, the presence of Lunch or that the humans Z-figthers look like they will have a active role.

The special also appear to be "out of continuity" with Buu saga caracters such as kid Goten and Trunks at the same time that a bald Krillin, a Goku with the Turtle symbol on his back and a Tenshinhan with his Android saga outfit.
Damn, I was hoping to see a end of Z Goten and Trunks...with them doing a fusion.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Now I'm fucking pumped for this thing! *Crosses fingers in hopes for yearly special, a la Lupin III*

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:45 pm

I wonder what's up with those two little aliens under Trunks and Goten?
Trans rights, now!

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:55 pm

SonEric84 wrote:I wonder what's up with those two little aliens under Trunks and Goten?
I thinks they will be the bad guys of the special.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Launch AND Vegeta?

This looks like its going to be amazingly wonderful! :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm so excited! Those "enemies" look like a "as if" Fat Buu worked for Freeza lol xD

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 pm

My stupid theory: those red and blue aliens dressed as Freeza lackeys are Metamorians, and will fuse into a purple alien.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:47 pm

HOLY SHIT ITS BUBBLES :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

baragon_kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by baragon_kun » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:52 pm

i only hope that i wont be like the Clamp in wonderland AMV..........duh, i mean, Animation.

But seen Goku as an adult really dissapointed me, it will completly Z, just only the same.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:53 pm

It looks like we've got something following Z, which is really good news. It would be nice for it to be canon, but I'll be happy either way.
I noticed that we've got the post-Cell Games crew with a bald Kuririn and green sash Ten, like in the Budokai 2 and 3 openings; I think that's kinda cool. Oh and also, Yamcha in a fighting gi, here's hoping he actually fights for more than a milisecond!
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku