Episode #0136 (06 July 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0136 (06 July 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Episode #0136 (download MP3) (rss feed)
77:37; 64 kbps, mono; 35.5 MB

Episode #0136! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff finally hit the "Z"-era with volume seventeen of our "Manga Review of Awesomeness". The innocence is lost as Goku discovers his true origin, and Toriyama's story will never be the same. Julian rounds out the rest of the episode with us as we cover all of this week's news, hit up the DBZ ABCs, read some e-mails, and start up a new contest! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-thirty-six* episodes, now.

I know we're hitting you hard with all sorts of audio-content this week, so hopefully you can find some time to hang with us :D. We had a super fun time with this particular "Manga Review of Awesomeness", and just as much fun talking about all the other stuff~! I don't know what else to say!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Dang, this one's going to kill me! Why must I be cursed with dial-up?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Calcaneus

Post by Calcaneus » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:56 pm

The series is finally getting into Z territory, I'm interested in seeing Jeff's reactions to the huge shift in tone at this point in the series.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Dang, this one's going to kill me! Why must I be cursed with dial-up?
Jesus dude, I didn't even know people still had dial-up. It must be rough getting around on the internet. :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 pm

If I get any chance this week where no one's around to hear me sing, I'll definitely give the contest's additional section a shot. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Aw geez, the big shift. I'm sure I've got a whole bunch of stuff to comment on, but I doubt I can cover everything right now so I'll just nail some of the more major stuff.

I never knew that there was no break before Toriyama started the Z-era stuff. I mean (not to bring up another show) at least Naruto had a bit of a hiatus before they started off again with the major time jump. Knowing that now, I'm sure it must've been really weird for fans of the time to adjust to the sudden burst in new stuff. I guess a similar thing can be said for the American fans reading through the manga too. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks of two different Piccolos when switching between series.

Ah, the introduction to the power levels. While I've grown to loathe them over time, considering the current goings-on, I think they work at the moment. It's especially during the early Z-era that you can see that Toriyama takes advantage of power levels (using it to introduce Gohan's secret powers; later on with being able to conceal their actual power levels...). It's just pretty interesting to consider the world that the Saiyans come from (which see power levels as the solid thing that can be measured) and then have that turned upside down with the fighters on Earth being able to conceal their powers and whatnot.

Totally gonna enter the contest, but I don't have the necessary tech to record my voice, so that second entry's out of the question. Regardless, I'm curious if people can sing the English (or what they think is the English) version of the Burst Limit theme.

Quite the interesting manga review this time around. Also, good to know about the new podcast. I'm not that much of a gamer, but the idea of Mike, Jeff and Andrew making a show all their own... woah.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:41 am

The Makankosappo is not the most stylish attack as far as I'm concerned. It's fancy enough, but....

Well, Gotenks has awesome attacks....Like the Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack. ;-)

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:07 am

Okay, I just checked out the new podcast a bit, cheated and read the lists on the side-bar.

It's 4 AM. I'm not listening to something that long right now. xD

Anyway, I probably SHOULDN'T listen to it, because it'd just make me mad! I mean, here I am, a fan of Adventure games a la Infocom, Sierra, Lucasarts, and more recently Telltale.

...Along with RPGs along the lines of Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, and more recently Mass Effect.

Yeah. We wouldn't mesh. =p

Oh, and sorry about my habit of listening to part of a podcast, posting, and then posting again after I've heard the whole thing. I'll try my best to contain myself from now on!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am

I like how Jeff's most accurate prediction was a misspeak. :D
... Is it next month, yet? :D :D :D
I'm not good at organizing my thoughts anymore (if I ever was...), so I'll hold my comments on power levels for later...

Something about the way Piccolo's character changes seems completely impossible to comprehend from the perspective of someone who has only read Dragonball for the first time... Like, even though his transition to wherehe ends up is way more gradual, it somfeels like from the momen he encounters Raditz, he's already completely different. I don't know thatI'd say I see it quite like the "two Piccolos" thing everyone's taling about, but it still has this sort of "Meh, I give up..." feel to it. AndI guess I blame that mostly on being exposed to DBZ first. :( :?

And despite the obviousness of it, Jeff's comment on Gohan's conception still brought new things to mind. Hmm...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Jule's singing voice was actually kinda good, until it broke a tiny bit. :lol:

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Originally, I was only going to post this-
Raditz wrote:Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it -- It's green!
But you read my e-mail! And I learned something! Thanks, DaizenshuuEX: The Podcast!

On the subject of I-Channel, I think I noticed the difference most profoundly between FUNi and them during the Cell saga. The scenery is very green, and there's lots of Piccolo and Cell, who are also both very green, and it was a rich, deep green. But on Cartoon Network, a few months down the road, it looked very yellow and overly bright, and it didn't fit. It was much more jarring than the Freeza, Garlic, and early Android stuff to me, but then when I looked back (I taped a lot of the I-Channel episodes), I noticed what an incredible difference there was with all the colors. But, I reckon you're right Mike, and what is "better" is subjective; Obviously Piss-Yellow Piccolo™ is what The Kids like.

On the subject of the manga, I really like Power Levels and how Toriyama uses them at this point. Even later on, I think it works, and I have to agree with DaemonCorps on this point:
DaemonCorps wrote:It's just pretty interesting to consider the world that the Saiyans come from (which see power levels as the solid thing that can be measured) and then have that turned upside down with the fighters on Earth being able to conceal their powers and whatnot.
I've always really liked this. It shows that the fighters of Earth, though not naturally as strong, have superior style of utilize ki. The fact that Kame Sen'nin is strategically better than Freeza (who can't read or sense) at using ki makes it very interesting.

Also, I've always liked Raditz's introduction, but I prefer the anime's transition. Specifically, the filler arc at the end of Dragon Ball, which has a cute Goku and Chi-chi adventure, the return of Gohan Proper, and gives a little more "closure" to that particular time-skip. Of course, I agree that Gohan the Lesser's introduction in the manga was better than the anime, but I kinda like the cute nods to the first episode of DB; A la, the return of the sabertooth tiger who Goku beat up, uh, 10 years previously. :lol:

In conclusion: Raditz is cool, Gohan is cool, Sabertooth tigers are cool, I-Channel was cool, and DaizenshuuEX: The Podcast is cool.

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:03 pm

Greatest podcast ending EVER! :lol: I might sing Kiseki no Honô yo Moeagare!! when no one is around. :P

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Don't worry Julian, I like Mr. Satan too. :wink:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Great podcast, It was great hearing Jeff's comments on the switch to the "Z" era.

Anyway, I'm still making my way through Vgconvo's and I'm loving every minute, I'm a regular gamer, so it's great to hear your thoughts on games not just limited to Dragonball.

Anyway, keep it up!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 am

As a Bass II I'm afraid I cannot sing any of the songs like they are originally performed but maybe if I get the chance, just for poops and giggles, I'll send in a recording.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:06 am

Well, here's my singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpixwcUj08E

I know there's not supposed to be music for the contest. I just added it for this video to take a little of the sting off.

Now who else is willing to show what they've got to the world?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:01 am

I doubt I'd get a moment alone to sing. :cry:

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 am

The Time Traveller wrote:I doubt I'd get a moment alone to sing. :cry:
Oh, then don't do it alone! Pull somebody in for a duet! :lol:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Everyone in my house hates Dragon Ball Z, and most things Japanese.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Everyone in my house hates Dragon Ball Z, and most things Japanese.

That's sad. :(
Trans rights, now!