DBZ Kai 1-4 in movie theaters in Spain on 20th of June

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

DBZ Kai 1-4 in movie theaters in Spain on 20th of June

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:26 am

The first 4 DBZ Kai episodes will be shown in movie theaters in Spain:

https://www.selecta-vision.com/sites/dr ... CDvHdPlrTz

https://www.facebook.com/stories/667299 ... story_tray

Translation: "Dragon Ball Z Kai only on cinemas! This June 20th, available in Castilian Spanish, Catalan, Basque and Galician. It will be also available in Anime Box (Selecta's OTT)
And obviously, DVD & Bluray"
Last edited by sangofe on Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Kai 1-4 in movie theaters in Spain on 20th of June

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:08 am

It's great to see Kai not only getting some love but something different being done for it.

Come to think of it has any of the TV series ever been shown in theatres anywhere? Not counting the specials, which are too often mistaken as movies.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:50 pm

It's gonna be interesting to see how they have edited the episodes into a movie format.

TheRed259
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:08 amCome to think of it has any of the TV series ever been shown in theatres anywhere? Not counting the specials, which are too often mistaken as movies.
Episodes 105-106 from DBS in Portugal: viewtopic.php?p=1611119#p1611119

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:34 pm

That's neat. I hope this is a mega success so other countries can try it out, like poor old Canada who still never got to see their Kai dub but they goddammit deserve to.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheRed259
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:34 pm That's neat. I hope this is a mega success so other countries can try it out, like poor old Canada who still never got to see their Kai dub but they goddammit deserve to.
It would be really cool if the first episodes of Daima get a worldwide theatrical release before the actual premiere on Japanese TV.

Vectur123

Post by Vectur123 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:08 pm

Tian wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:50 pm It's gonna be interesting to see how they have edited the episodes into a movie format.
Probably just removing the openings and endings, maybe keeping the first episode opening and 4th ending ending.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:00 am

It's pretty unusual to show Kai in theaters but I guess since it's a short saga it can work like a movie.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:40 am

Of all the Dragon Ball Shows Kai is definitely the best fit for a theatrical experience. It has all the spectacle people love in Z, better animation than Super and some of the fights like Raditz are short enough to be squeezed into a feature length runtime (although for others you'd need to pick out the endings like Gohan vs Cell and the fight with Kid Boo and slap together some recaps for context).

It also works as a tribute to Akira Toriyama because Kai first premiered in Japan on his birthday.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:39 am

Vectur123 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:08 pm
Tian wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:50 pm It's gonna be interesting to see how they have edited the episodes into a movie format.
Probably just removing the openings and endings, maybe keeping the first episode opening and 4th ending ending.
Oops, I must have been more specific (Yeah, sorry about that)

I know there's likely going to be a different placement of the opening and ending on this release but I wonder whether Selecta Vision managed to make a good edit of the transition between episodes.

Sure, there might be some seconds missing worth of narration and the episode itself, but it'd be nice to see if they managed to make a "smooth" transition between the episodes, like in a movie and not just 4 episodes airing in a row.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:40 am Of all the Dragon Ball Shows Kai is definitely the best fit for a theatrical experience. It has all the spectacle people love in Z, better animation than Super and some of the fights like Raditz are short enough to be squeezed into a feature length runtime (although for others you'd need to pick out the endings like Gohan vs Cell and the fight with Kid Boo and slap together some recaps for context).

It also works as a tribute to Akira Toriyama because Kai first premiered in Japan on his birthday.
Not only that, the Bardock cold opening and the OG DB recap on the first episode already give that movie introduction feeling.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:36 pm

Bulma has been reemplazed in the dub shown in theaters.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:36 pm Bulma has been reemplazed in the dub shown in theaters.
She's not the only recast. Raditz and Nappa have been recasted too.

Their new voice actors are not exactly new to the franchise because they have already voiced Jiren and Toppo respectively in Super.

P.S: Raditz says "¡MIERDA! (SHIT!)". That was cool.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:22 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:47 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:36 pm Bulma has been reemplazed in the dub shown in theaters.
She's not the only recast. Raditz and Nappa have been recasted too.

Their new voice actors are not exactly new to the franchise because they have already voiced Jiren and Toppo respectively in Super.

P.S: Raditz says "¡MIERDA! (SHIT!)". That was cool.
One thing is for sure, this is NOT a TV Broadcast dub.

But then again MIERDA was used on Digimon Adventure 1999 in Spain-
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:32 pm

Mercedes Hoyos (the dubbing director) has confirmed that Nonia de la Gala was replaced as Bulma (Gracia Comitre is the new Bulma) due to health issues but she'll return to the role in The Final Chapters, also confirming that the dub will go beyond the first 98 episodes of Kai.

Another recast besides Bulma, Raditz and Nappa, was Bardock. Antonio Villar wasn't able to reprise the role for unknown reasons (until the dubbing director discloses them) and was replaced by Pablo Domínguez (Goku's voice actor since Super).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 pm

This is working with the uncut Funimation scripts. Oh boy. That's a shocker. I am so glad Ana Cremades returned.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:19 am

So... not much different than the Latino Spanish dub..... or the Brazilian Portuguese dub..... or the Catalan dub..... or the Galician or Basque.

At least those last three didn't use the Funi scripts for Boo Kai on account of Funi having not reached there yet.

Still.... I take it the Latino and Castellan dub have never been this similar? xD
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:47 am

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:19 am So... not much different than the Latino Spanish dub..... or the Brazilian Portuguese dub..... or the Catalan dub..... or the Galician or Basque.

At least those last three didn't use the Funi scripts for Boo Kai on account of Funi having not reached there yet.

Still.... I take it the Latino and Castellan dub have never been this similar? xD
I think you'd need to see full episodes to make a conclusion.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:32 am

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:19 am So... not much different than the Latino Spanish dub..... or the Brazilian Portuguese dub..... or the Catalan dub..... or the Galician or Basque.

I checked them out and the dubs are VERY defirent despite seemingly using "The same source". Irwin Dayaan made sure to correct all Funi Dubisms into the correct Z Latin American ones. Spain Kai just goes and uses Kakarot I even got into an argument with a Spain fan, Kakarot kills any connection Goku had to Vegetto's name and I argued at length with them. But the person insisted the intent is NOT Kakarotto but Kakarot.

I guess Spain Kai will get rid of the term Ki in favour of "Power Level" and so on.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:02 pm

On the other hand, I'm expecting that Castellan Kai will be more consistent than Castellan Z ever was in terms of terminology. Doesn't Castellan Z have like ten names for the Taiyo-Ken/Solar Flare, for example?

Plus their apparently consistently using Saiyan and Kakarotto is an improvement over Space Warriors and Vegeta calling Goku Goku.

I am curious how they will handle the Ginyu Force roll call scene. The Catalan Kai dub reincluded the shitty French derived dialog for some reason, I think the other two (Catalan and Basque) did as well?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.