Toonami Rewind Block On Fridays.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toonami Rewind Block On Fridays.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:20 pm

What is so bad about it then? You are avoiding the meatier parts of my postS, as in, the ones where I would love an explanation as to what is so awful about it? I dont even have nostalgia for the Viz dub. The dub I watch is the latin american one but I really fail to see just what is SO AWFUL about the Viz dub and then defending the Yu Yu Hakusho dub WITH ZERO SELF AWARENESS.

Even that jerk Penguintruth who absolutely loathes dubs had a lot of love for the Viz dub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:20 pm What is so bad about it then? You are avoiding the meatier parts of my postS, as in, the ones where I would love an explanation as to what is so awful about it? I dont even have nostalgia for the Viz dub. The dub I watch is the latin american one but I really fail to see just what is SO AWFUL about the Viz dub and then defending the Yu Yu Hakusho dub WITH ZERO SELF AWARENESS.

Even that jerk Penguintruth who absolutely loathes dubs had a lot of love for the Viz dub.
I mean I already said the acting sounded unnatural, like a fandub and sounds like it was done by AI, there's not much else to elaborate on. Why are you taking this as a personal offense?

Yes, I think the YuYu Hakusho is a better dub as far as voice acting and more natural dialog goes. I'll go further and say the original Dragon Ball dub and the DiC dub of Sailor Moon are better dubs than the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, despite my problems with both (especially the former)

I get people want to stand by the Viz dub of Sailor Moon because it's faithful and uncensored but it's just straight up not good. And it never got good. And I blame that entirely on the voice director given the talent that was used. If it helps I do recall Crystal's dub being significantly better, despite using the same cast and I think the same crew. But like Kai I don't care much for Crystal in any language

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:32 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:20 pm What is so bad about it then? You are avoiding the meatier parts of my postS, as in, the ones where I would love an explanation as to what is so awful about it? I dont even have nostalgia for the Viz dub. The dub I watch is the latin american one but I really fail to see just what is SO AWFUL about the Viz dub and then defending the Yu Yu Hakusho dub WITH ZERO SELF AWARENESS.

I mean I already said the acting sounded unnatural, like a fandub and sounds like it was done by AI, there's not much else to elaborate on. Why are you taking this as a personal offense?

Yes, I think the YuYu Hakusho is a better dub as far as voice acting and more natural dialog goes. I'll go further and say the original Dragon Ball dub and the DiC dub of Sailor Moon are better dubs than the Viz dub of Sailor Moon, despite my problems with both (especially the former)

I get people want to stand by the Viz dub of Sailor Moon because it's faithful and uncensored but it's just straight up not good. And it never got good. And I blame that entirely on the voice director given the talent that was used.
Ok this is a great post and I finally see your point. Despite how miscast and misdirected the Yu Yu Hakusho it is UNDOUBTEDLY very naturalistic, the acting does feel very natural like someone would actually say it like this, with this scene being a great example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhzuNmMi-k

I think the Viz dub's problem is that it concerns itself with pretty acting but it doesnt sound very natural. The diction is just saying the lines in a pretty way. The one scene I love is Eden Riegel just showing off as Koan. I knew she was the best then. And then I learned she also does voice directing for cartoons which didnt surprise in the least.

Sorry if it seemed like I was bullying you or that I was getting personally offended. I just couldnt understand but I do now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:39 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:32 pm

I get people want to stand by the Viz dub of Sailor Moon because it's faithful and uncensored but it's just straight up not good. And it never got good. And I blame that entirely on the voice director given the talent that was used.
Ok this is a great post and I finally see your point. Despite how miscast and misdirected the Yu Yu Hakusho it is UNDOUBTEDLY very naturalistic, the acting does feel very natural like someone would actually say it like this, with this scene being a great example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfhzuNmMi-k

I think the Viz dub's problem is that it concerns itself with pretty acting but it doesnt sound very natural. The diction is just saying the lines in a pretty way. The one scene I love is Eden Riegel just showing off as Koan. I knew she was the best then. And then I learned she also does voice directing for cartoons which didnt surprise in the least.

Sorry if it seemed like I was bullying you or that I was getting personally offended. I just couldnt understand but I do now.
Right. I probably should have been more clear when I say a dub is good I don't necessarily mean faithful and true to the Japanese original. My bad. And yes the Viz dub of Sailor Moon had its moments. I did really like Cindy Robinson as Beryl and the aforementioned Koan scene was at least better than how DiC butchered it

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:29 am I wonder if a Toonami channel would work in the US, like what the UK and Ireland had from 2003 to 2007? I know historically Cartoon Network has liked the perk of royalties that come with their original programming, but does anyone watch the main channel anymore? Might be better at this point to just have a 24/7 Adult Swim or Toonami channel and move all the original content to Boomerang.
A Toonami FAST channel would make more sense.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:33 pm

Sadly I was wrong, the ratings for Sailor Moon wont be reported after all. It count as a rerun and thus wont be reported. There are several episodes unique to this new dub so I hope those are reported.

Oh well, I guess Toei's love of TV Deals and the fact this might lower the price for Daima might keep the block going. I know Daima (Overrated or not) IS not only a majorly anticipated show, its the last show Toriyama ever worked on. Even if its a streaming show they will want airings, that's just how Toei is.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:50 am

Been a long time since i made a post and been back! howdy! I actually wished i still had cable so i could tune in and watch this even though i have the series a 1000 times over, seeing stuff like this makes me happy. 8)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

CashMane

Post by CashMane » Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:51 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:33 pm Sadly I was wrong, the ratings for Sailor Moon wont be reported after all. It count as a rerun and thus wont be reported. There are several episodes unique to this new dub so I hope those are reported.

Oh well, I guess Toei's love of TV Deals and the fact this might lower the price for Daima might keep the block going. I know Daima (Overrated or not) IS not only a majorly anticipated show, its the last show Toriyama ever worked on. Even if its a streaming show they will want airings, that's just how Toei is.
Oh yeah Daima's gonna be on Toonami for sure, especially if they end up doing some kind of simulcast

Also, hello everybody! After years of lurking I finally made an account lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:25 am

CashMane wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:51 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:33 pm Sadly I was wrong, the ratings for Sailor Moon wont be reported after all. It count as a rerun and thus wont be reported. There are several episodes unique to this new dub so I hope those are reported.

Oh yeah Daima's gonna be on Toonami for sure, especially if they end up doing some kind of simulcast

It's almost definitely gonna be on Crunchyroll or Hulu/Disney +

Even for cable less than 200K viewers is abysmal

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:38 am

CashMane wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:51 am Oh yeah Daima's gonna be on Toonami for sure, especially if they end up doing some kind of simulcast

Welcome :thumbup:

I'm personally glad that Daima is clearly not the rumoured web series or at least its not anymore.

Crunchyroll have far too much of a stranglehold on the anime business, we saw that problem with Funimation before where smaller anime distributors like Manga UK and Madman had limited autonomy when it comes to Dragon Ball, but now its a bigger problem because none of these three companies exist anymore, its all Crunchyroll, and as we saw with the Super Hero Blu-Ray if America gets the green tint everyone else does. Now I know this has nothing to do with Toonami Rewind, but as more companies are bought out and rebranded as Crunchyroll, but my point is that anyone who wants Daima to go direct-to-streaming should be careful what they wish for because if Crunchyroll screw anything up then fans are pretty much screwed.

I don't pay for Crunchyroll's streaming service, nor do I ever plan to because they have too much money and influence as is, and I do worry for the future of anime under their leadership as I don't have any trust in them to try with anything. A more mainstream streaming service like Netflix would be a better fit for anything Dragon Ball because a large number of kids have access to it. Crunchyroll is more of a platform for anime fans and skews towards older audiences, which wouldn't be good as a lot of the current generation of kids may miss being able to grow up with Dragon Ball as we all did.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:25 am It's almost definitely gonna be on Crunchyroll or Hulu/Disney +

Even for cable less than 200K viewers is abysmal
Eventually yes, but I definitely don't want it to premier on Crunchyroll. I wouldn't mind if it did on Disney+ though, and maybe Hulu if I'm being generous.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:49 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:38 am

Eventually yes, but I definitely don't want it to premier on Crunchyroll. I wouldn't mind if it did on Disney+ though, and maybe Hulu if I'm being generous.
Right, but I'm not talking about what I want to happen I'm talking about what's most likely GOING to happen. Of course it would be smarter to put it on a bigger streaming service than a niche one but as Crunchyroll is going to almost certainly acquire the license they'll likely put it on their own service.

There is a precedent for Dragon Ball content going on Hulu so that's a possiblity (which I think means it will be on Disney+ outside the US?)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:04 am

I know your talking about what will happen, but I'm just saying that Crunchyroll is bad news, in most cases for Dragon Ball. Obviously there are exceptions but I think the sooner people realize them having a monopoly over the industry is a problem the better.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:49 am There is a precedent for Dragon Ball content going on Hulu so that's a possiblity (which I think means it will be on Disney+ outside the US?)
I can only speak for the UK and Ireland but thus far we have not had anything Dragon Ball on Disney+ (I think someone was saying one of the recent movies popped up in Hong Kong?) but we have had Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and Broly (subbed only) on Netflix and strangely enough Super on BBC iPlayer.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:41 pm

Has anyone been talking about the Friday Night airings of Dragon Ball Z Kai? I know Cable TV is dead, but Sailor Moon TRENDED on Premiere. There has to least BE SOME BUZZ for a broadcast that is actually at a decent time slot.

TechExpert2021
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TechExpert2021 » Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:19 am

While watching DBZ Kai (episodes 9 and 10) back on June 28 at the time of its airing on Adult Swim's Toonami Rewind, I notice some things:

- It's still DBZ Kai with the Kikuchi soundtrack, like post-2011 airings of the series.
- The English version of the opening theme ("Dragon Soul") for both episodes is the Sean Schemmel version.
- The ending theme ("Yeah! Break! Care! Break!") for both episodes is the original Japanese version rather than the English version sung by Jerry Jewell. On top of the ending visuals are scrolling credits in Arial Rounded MT Bold italicized. I think the scrolling ending credits text in Toonami Rewind broadcasts of DBZ Kai looks bland compared to the ending credits text seen on the Blu-rays. Also, the image seems to be oddly zoomed in.
- Both the opening theme and ending theme are shortened to 30 seconds.
- The 2016 Funimation logo animation appeared at the end of both episodes.

I predict they will continue using Sean Schemmel's version of the opening theme or use another English version not sung by Vic Mignogna beyond episode 27, due to the Vic Mignogna allegations that occurred in 2019. Also, once they reach episodes featuring Butta, Crunchyroll might have to replace Vic with another voice actor as Butta for the same reason.
完 全 集 で
D a i t o u d e n o n K a n z e n s h u u

He/Him/Daitouden
One of Kanzenshuu's youngest forum users. Gen Z Dragon Ball fan.

Origin of the name "Daitouden"
How I was introduced to Dragon Ball
Rank Achievement Milestones

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:46 am

TechExpert2021 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:19 amAlso, once they reach episodes featuring Butta, Crunchyroll might have to replace Vic with another voice actor as Butta for the same reason.
That would be interesting if it happened, but I doubt it. Broly wasn't recast for the movie of the same name, even though it could have been done for the home releases so I can't see Crunchyroll bothering to redub anything.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:38 pm

Sailor Moon is being doubled up while DBZKai loses a timeslot. I hope this means it was a success.