Name Origins

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Name Origins

Post by Fuujin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:52 pm

I wonder if anyone on this board knows what are the puns on those names. I know most of them, but these I could never figure out:

Doore - I can guess it's some sort of dressing (Sauza -> sause, Nezu -> mayonnaise), but I never heard of anything like that.
Puipui, Yakon - Is it a magic chant, like Dabura -> Abracadabra? That's what Polish manga implies.
Tsuno - (the leader of Namekian village that Vegeta obliterated)
Tapion & Minosha - Tapioca?
Hildegarn
Yamu & Spopovitch
Hoi
Muchi Mochi
Yajirobe
Paikuhan - I think it's a type of Chinese food, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:06 pm

From Julian's ever-extensive text file for movie character puns...
  • Doore (Dore) = "dressing" (doresshingu); also "salad dressing" (saradore)
  • Tapion = play on "Tapioka" (tapioca)
  • Hirudegaan (Hildegarn) = "Hiruta" (staff member) + "gaan" (so shocked that he/his jaw hit the floor; that was his reaction upon seeing the character design)
  • Paikuuhan (Paikuhan) = ? (possibly "pie + eat + rice" [pai + kuu + han])
That's a start, anyway ^^.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:45 pm

I don't know about most of those others, but a yajirobee is a kind of little balancing toy.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:50 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure Yamu is supposed to be "yam" and Spopovitch I figure is supposed to be Eastern European sounding I guess to make him seem like one of those weight lifters from Russia or somewhere else that are so good at the sport. Tsuno though I haven't been able to figure out. I figure since he's Namekian, his name has to be a play on some kind of mollusk, but I can't match it to anything so far. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SaiyaJedi

Re: Name Origins

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:47 pm

Fuujin wrote:I wonder if anyone on this board knows what are the puns on those names. I know most of them, but these I could never figure out:

Doore - I can guess it's some sort of dressing (Sauza -> sause, Nezu -> mayonnaise), but I never heard of anything like that.
Puipui, Yakon - Is it a magic chant, like Dabura -> Abracadabra? That's what Polish manga implies.
Tsuno - (the leader of Namekian village that Vegeta obliterated)
Tapion & Minosha - Tapioca?
Hildegarn
Yamu & Spopovitch
Hoi
Muchi Mochi
Yajirobe
Paikuhan - I think it's a type of Chinese food, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.
I'll cover the ones the others haven't yet / add some other stuff in:
Tsuno - refers to the eye-stalks (or "horns") on a snail / slug
Mutchi-Motchi - "muchi" is "whip," and "mochi" is "holding" -- so he's "holding a whip"
Yajirobei - Toriyama wanted a (traditional) Japanese-sounding name, so he took the name of the toy
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:04 am

Wouldn't it just be simpler to do a big page on this?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:20 am

The S wrote:Wouldn't it just be simpler to do a big page on this?
Oh, if you only knew the delusions of grandeur we have...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:45 am

Wasn't I supposed to be in on those delusions?

Oh, by the way, although Sauza's name is a sauce/dressing-based pun, it is not (as I understand it) based on the word "sauce" or relatives thereof, like "saucer."

(cue ominous music)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:51 am

I don't even know what the delusions are, anymore...

I'm not sure if I want to do one giant all-encompassing pun guide, or include them all in the specific, individual character pages... I'm thinking both. Sure, tons of sites have a "pun guide," but are they ever correct? Usually not :P

The text file I've got from Julian is just movie characters and their puns. The rest of the characters in the regular TV series is a pretty huge undertaking :D

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:49 pm

Thank you for all your help! Now that leaves us with Hoi, Paikuhan, Spopovitch (I'm pretty sure it has a meaning), Yamu (through I don't think that one has a meaning), Yakon and PuiPui.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:59 pm

I thought Hoi was short for Hoi Poi, though I don't know what Hoi Poi means. :P

And Spopovitch is a mispselling/pun of something-something Supopovitch, a "famous" Olympic Russian weightlifter. That's all I know of him other than that he became famous by destroying the world record by like 250 lbs or something. That and he grew up near Chernobyl. j/k
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:59 am

I'm not sure if I want to do one giant all-encompassing pun guide, or include them all in the specific, individual character pages... I'm thinking both. Sure, tons of sites have a "pun guide," but are they ever correct? Usually not
That's what I meant. Daizen' has the most accurate info of any site I've seen, so I thought maybe you could be the first that had an accurate name pun guide.

And delusions are only what we make of them...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:22 am

Actually, these guides ARE surprisingly accurate - just incomplete. Yeah, I know that "Ginyu" is a pun on "Milk", but why can't I find what "Bojack" means? Or "Yakon"? Or "Toriyama"? Eh?

I guess pun's are explained in "in-the-works" Character Guide, but it'll take forever if Vegetto EX doesn't pick any tempo!

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:44 am

Hoi, I believe, comes from "Hoikoro" (回鍋肉, "Hui guo rou" in Chinese), which I usually see as "Twice cooked pork" in English.

Paikuhan (排骨飯) is similarly "Ribs and rice."

I too have heard the story about Spopovitch being a Russian Olympic weightlifter, but have never been able to verify it.

"Chichin Puipui" and "Tekumaku mayakon" are the two chants in question for Puipui and Yakon, respectively.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:49 am

Toriyama - Bird Mountain, ding-a-ling.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:49 am

The S wrote:Toriyama - Bird Mountain, ding-a-ling.
Er... but that was obvious, given the kanji in his name... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:07 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
The S wrote:Toriyama - Bird Mountain, ding-a-ling.
Er... but that was obvious, given the kanji in his name... :?
Wasn't the Toriyama in Dr. Slump a bird? The ages before the Tori-bot.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:49 pm

If "Hoi" is short for Hoi-Poi, notice how in the manga whenever someone throws a capsule, it makes a "hoi" sound effect. Whenever it pops, it goes "poi!" Viz explained somewhere (I think in a fan letter page) that capsules are named after the sound they make when thrown.

Perhaps the "Hoi-Poi" sound effect is a pun on a real word, like that Hoikoro thing Daimao explained.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:32 am

Or maybe it`s just one of the many many onomatopoeias present in Japanese (my Japanese teacher was saying today in class that Japanese is probably the language with the second highest number of onomatopoeias after Korean). Hell, if they have a sound for silence, why wouldn`t they have a sound for "capsule popping open"?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:47 pm

I did these while revamping my site. I have this japanese/english program on my computer from http://www.freedict.com/. Please correct me on this info if needed.

Bardock
- Even though 'gobu' is the Japanese word for burcok, I suppose Toriyama decided to keep his name with his 'roots'
Toma
- The Japanese word for tomato is the same as the English name. Just remove 'to' at the end and you get Toma
Seripa
- The Japanese word for parsley is Pa-se-ri. Switch the letters round to get Se-ri-pa
Panboukin
- The Japanese word for pumkin is pan-pu-kin. I suppose that you change the letter P intot he letter B to get Pan-bu-kin
Totepo
- Since the Japanese word fo Potato is Po-te-to, switch the letters around (Like you did with Seripa's) to get To-te-po

EDIT: Oh you mean just the names in your first post. My bad.