Gohan vs. Buu - City Streets at Night?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Gohan vs. Buu - City Streets at Night?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:26 pm

This seems to be a staple of every DragonBall forum I've ever visited, so I might as well throw it up on my own 8)

The above image is from the FMV opening to DragonBall: Final Bout on the Sony PlayStation (PS1, not PS2). The game was released in America as DragonBall GT: Final Bout in September of 1997 (the game came out in Japan slightly earlier that year). I can't count how many times people have said they've seen that image in a gallery or in a music video, and wonder where on Earth it's from.

I guess there's really no discussion to go along with that, but I'm bored, and felt like typing something :P
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

admin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by admin » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:12 pm

I also gotta say that the FMV sequence from Final Bout was pretty sick, good, and clean animation that showed the crew layin the smack down
[size=200][b][color=red]TKE[/color] [color=gray]4[/color] [color=red]LIFE[/color][/size][/b]

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:59 pm

Yeah I really liked that FMV sequence.
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

SSJ Bento

Post by SSJ Bento » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:06 pm

Love the FMV sequence-hate the game itself tho.

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:15 pm

The game was ok.. but definately not the greatest..
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:33 pm

I hate this game too. I don't think there has been a good DBZ game since Hyper Dimension on SNES. Well, Legends on PSX was okay, but really in only a novelty sort of way.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:23 am

I've only ever owned the import of UB 22 for the PSX and the craptacular DBZ CCG GBA game so I really wish I could feel the DBZ gaming love.
-Laserkid

RatGoku

Post by RatGoku » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:08 pm

Eh? Final Bout? No, I loved the FMV, but hated the game. Now Hyper Dimension, that's a good game!
Hey look, it's a signature!

SSJ Bento

Post by SSJ Bento » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:40 am

The only DBZ games I've ever liked are Boudokai and Boudokai 2. The gameboy games are horrid-and I had control problems with UB22 and Final Bout.

Mirai no Beederu

Post by Mirai no Beederu » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:32 am

Final Bout. Great opening animation, great music...the greatness stops there. The only even slightly redeeming quality this game had was the energy battles. Dunno why my bro and I like them so much, maybe it's just the way they spin around, I dunno, but those were cool. UB22...for a 95 game, gotta say I didn't think it was that bad. The opening sequence to it was awesome, but I hated the terrrible "dubbing" for the opening scenes to the fights. It was really a pretty fun game to play (plus it was the first time ever that I'd heard 'Hikari no Willpower' which is just a great song).
My bro still claims that the best DBZ game he ever played was some strange version of "Ghost Recon" or something like that. You basically chose a stage, you had so much 3D flying room it wasn't funny, and it took awhile before you could do things like become Super Saiyan. (Genki Damas of course, were all but worthless).
Hello, DaizenshuuEX-type people!:)

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:09 am

Never played that game, but I think I need to buy it for collectors purposes. Might as well since I already own that god awful Taiketsu...*shiver*

Hm, since were on the subject of the aforementioned FMV...does anyone know a good quality version is for download? I've never had a chance to see the whole thing.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:36 am

I've actually got MPEGs encoded of all three PSX game intros, which were going to go towards a gallery of opening / ending animation sequences that we just never got around to (mostly waiting for more GT discs to come out).

They're not UP anywhere, though... I'd like to re-encode them, anyway, now that I'm more familiar with video filters. Need to smooth the Hell out of them :P.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:43 pm

Yeah that would be nice to see those sequences again. ^_^

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:48 pm

Would the opening of Budokai 2 go there as well? (Who animated that, BTW? I'm guessing TOEI, but since it was an American-produced game, I'm not 100% sure).

And, if you want something that would make me happy at least, I'd love to see the Japanese opening to Budokai 1, which I believe is a CGI version of Cha La Head Cha La.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:30 pm

Yeah, I've been meaning to capture the Budokai 2 opening for weeks, now.. sooo fucking gorgeous.

I don't own the Japanese version of the first Budokai game, but I've been thinking about capturing it from the American release and just replacing the audio with the TV-size "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA"... ^^. Dunno if that's how it is in the Japanese version of the game, though. Ours was just "Rock the Dragon"... >.<

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:21 pm

And we had some non-descript guitar stuff.

Did you actually have the Cha La beginning though? Or the Rock The Dragon beginning? The animation we got was a shot of Goku with the third symbol he wore on his gi (which meant "Go" or something, didn't it), then one of Piccolo with what is presumably his name in Japanese, then Gohan, then random shots from all the cut scenes.

(And, thinking about it, does Budokai 2 use "We Gotta Power" as the basis for it's music in the way that the first game uses "Head Cha La"?)

SSJ Bento

Post by SSJ Bento » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:43 pm

Unfortunatly all we got over here in America was Rock the Dragon for the Budokai 1 opening :cry:. I do belive the music in the second game is based a bit on both Head Cha-la and We Gotta Power tho. I was very impresed with the opening animation in the second game too-the part where Goku was flying with the birds is beautiful!!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:53 pm

Sorry, I was being a wee bit unclear. I meant: What animation is it while "Rock The Dragon" is playing? I believe the Japanese version actually has a CGI version of the Cha La beginning playing. Is that the animation they use to "Rock The Dragon", or do they show what the European one shows, which is shots of Goku, Gohan and Piccolo, followed by randon clips from the cut-scenes?

I wonder if they had to pay Hironobu Kageyama for all the music that was based on "Head Cha La" in the first game? At first, I thought that they had made it similar enough to be recognisable, but different enough so that they didn't have to pay him. But I (finally) beat Cell, and what do I get? A funky rock guitar rendition of "Cha La Head Cha La". So they obviously had to pay him for that...(And is that in the US version as well, or do they play "Rock the dragon" over the end credits?)

And surely they would have had to have payed Shuki Levi for the music to Rock The Dragon?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:57 pm

The animation isn't pure CG; it's really just the in-game models done in the "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" animation.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:59 pm

That's still better than clips of the cut scenes though.

Which Cha La beginning was it? :)