Mailbag!

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NewDebuJin

Mailbag!

Post by NewDebuJin » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:35 pm

Is this section ever going to return? It was fun >_<

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:46 pm

Isn't it "Ask VegettoEX" now?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:28 pm

DebuJin... your name is so ridiculously familiar to me, I can't stand it! :D I was going to go through some of my old HTML files to find where I know you from, but I don't know where that CD-R is right now. Was it a message board? Something on the site? My mind remembers less and less as time goes on ^^;;

In a way, yes... "Ask VegettoEX" is the evolved "Mailbag" (you'll notice I finally removed the inactive "Mailbag" link from the site's navigation menu). Back in the day, the "Mailbag" allowed me to answer some questions, and also showcase the utter stupidity of some DBZ fans. However... the mere fact that I was showcasing it prompted and encouraged even more (and I'm sure 90% of it was just "joke" entries).

I'm really trying to steer the site away from some common misconceptions and such that I've (unfortunately) attained over the years, one of them being that I'm a complete asshat. If the board is any indication, that's not true! :P What's funny is that most of the people who disagreed with the way I ran the "Mailbag" were people who couldn't spell properly, themselves, and were waaaay younger than even I was at the time.

Regardless...

I hope that's somewhat an explanation x_X;;. And where do I know you from?!?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NewDebuJin

Post by NewDebuJin » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:45 pm

Ah, thanks for the explantion :)

I used to post on the AOL Anime DBZ board ages ago, but that was back when Cartoon Network had first gotten DBZ (1998 or 1999, time certainly does fly)

Stumbled across the site just a few days ago... So nice to see it back up, and awesome job so far! :)

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:57 am

Well since the question has been answered should we lock this thread? Up to you Mike.. just my thought.. don't be angry.. :p
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:01 am

Nah, I don't really believe in locking threads just because a question has been answered. I think locking a thread is useful when something's "broken a rule," and I don't want people to think it's OK to continue to act in that way and/or whatever-else.

I dunno. I'm tired. No locking :D
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:03 am

LOL! I didn't even realize you were on. Thats cool. ^_^

Your forums and you have a point.. if someone else comes along maybe they will have something to add to the thread. :D
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:46 pm

I'm still holding out on the asshat thing, personally. Change my mind! Give me money!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:37 pm

PsyLiam wrote:I'm still holding out on the asshat thing, personally. Change my mind! Give me money!
I hate you :P

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:06 pm

Tsk. I'm going to go and sit over here with Jon Allen. Screw you!

Judau

Post by Judau » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Nah, I don't really believe in locking threads just because a question has been answered. I think locking a thread is useful when something's "broken a rule," and I don't want people to think it's OK to continue to act in that way and/or whatever-else.

I dunno. I'm tired. No locking :D
Whoa, you are probably one of the first admins I have met who has the same view as myself... perhaps I have just not visited the right boards, but it seems as though admins and mods are usually running around locking everything in sight. ^^;;
http://www.yanime.com

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:22 pm

It's because (to massively generalise) a lot of moderators and admins are, well, teenage kids. Or at least twenty-something kids who don't have the greatest social skills. In the real world, they are nerds, outcasts, laughed at. But on their own board, they have POWER. Power over everyone. And they like to show it.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:58 pm

**Remembers the mIRC rooms of 1995-98**

I got banned my nick was "Braddock" instead of "Baadacku". Braddock wasn't even a DB related nick. :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:07 pm

I remember getting moderation powers in a board when I had like a single digit age... I have no idea how that happened. Crazy, though. But if that CAN happen, maybe that's why board moderators suck so much sometimes.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:42 am

Single digit?

Pft. The internet hadn't even been invented when I was in single digits. We had to make do with leaning out of our window and shouting loudly. And we damn well enjoyed it too.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:03 am

Oh ya, I remember doing that too and I actually did something called "play outside" and "using my imagination to make-up games". Remember that anyone? :wink:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:28 am

Well, if by "out outside" and "use your imagination" you mean "stay in and play Wing Commander and SWIV", then yeah, I remember.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:56 am

No, no, besides Missile Command and DigDug were more fun. No this is actually like out of the house, you know that place in between the inside of buildings? You know, there's wind and clouds above your head? And imagination is when you don't have any toys to play with and you have think up a game all by yourself? Try not to be scared about that concept, it's easier than it sounds. :P

Judau

Post by Judau » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:42 pm

Yes yes... but that *was* before the internet.

Now things are different, we don't need to deal with such creative hardships any longer. The world is now our playground!! Well, sites that are english and worth a damn anyway. <<
http://www.yanime.com

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:52 pm

Haha... by single digit age, I mean 9. I'm 14 now...

This outside stuff you speak of is a strange concept. Out there? In the cold? Surely I've misunderstood you.