Obscure races

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Obscure races

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 pm

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

Daizenshuu 7 has two pages on the races of DragonBall, and it starts out listing the various races in the series. The main ones of course are the Earthlings, Saiyans, and Namekians.

Then there are the Nikochan-Seijin and Okakaume-Seijin who live in Penguin Village. “Nikochan-Seijin” is the race of King Nikocan from Dr. Slump, who appears in DragonBall very briefly during when Goku goes to Penguin Village. He's short, green, has antennae, and his forehead resembles a butt (and even farts). Okakaume-Seijin is Suppaman's race. In Japanese, sei means “planet” (and star, and pretty much any other shiny object in the sky), and is added on to the names of planets, while jin means “person”, as you probably know. So X-Seijin basically means “person/people of Planet X”, and it's the generic formula for alien races.

After the main races and the Dr. Slump aliens, it lists the races from the anime, both filler and movies:
Tsufuru-jin, Brench-Seijin, Beppa-Seijin, Zalt-Seijin, Makyo-Seijin, Litt-Seijin, Shirts-Seijin, Tabbu-Seijin, Kanassa-Seijin, Meat-Seijin, Kuhn-Seijin, Ahter-Seijin, Aria-Seijin, Konattsu-Seijin, Shamo-Seijin, Beanz-Jin, Ikonda-Seijin, and the Race of Hera.
That's quite a list. You probably know what many of those are, but I bet there are quite a few you've never heard of. To tell the truth, that list has been driving me crazy for awhile, since I've been trying to figure out some of the races. Part of the problem is that a lot of those movie races were only named in background information that didn't make it into the movie. For instance, before DBZ movie 5 premiered, there was an issue of Weekly Jump that provided lots of background information on Coola's henchmen, including what planets they were from. Of course none of this got mentioned in the movie.

The really annoying thing is that even the daizenshuu don't really record this background information in an encyclopedic way, they just make offhand references to random bits of it. So going back to the Coola henchmen, that issue of Weekly Jump said Sauzer was from Planet Brench. Daizenshuu 7's bio for him doesn't mention this at all, but then “Brench-Seijin” gets listed as a race in the race section, and the section on languages mentions that he is the “genius of Planet Brench who knows 7,000 languages”. So you end up with that race list above, where some of the races are never explained or even mentioned in any other part of Daizenshuu 7. Kind of annoying...

To find out what these races are, I've been searching around the Japanese Wikipedia pages for DragonBall stuff, and other Japanese websites. So here's my annotations to that race list, with explanations for both those super-obscure races and the more familiar ones.

Tsufuru-jin: These are of course the original inhabitants of Planet Vegeta (which they called Planet Plant), who the Saiyans wiped out. Though they only appear in the anime, they were thought up and designed by Toriyama. Their name is a pun on fruits (furutsu).

Brench-Seijin, Beppa-Seijin, Zalt-Seijin: These are the races of Coola's three henchmen from DBZ move 5. Sauzer is from Planet Brench (a pun on french dressing, just as Sauzer's name comes from thousand island dressing), Dore is from Planet Beppa (derived from pepper), and Neiz is from Planet Zalt (a pun on "salt", as Chibi Mystic Gohan points out). Sauzer is distinguished as being the “genius of Planet Brench” and knowing 7,000 languages. Planet Beppa is a lava-covered world, while Planet Zalt is covered completely in water.

Makyo-Seijin: Garlic Jr.'s race, who come from Planet Makyo. The dub calls Planet Makyo "Makyo Star" (I mentioned earlier that sei can be both "planet" and "star"), but in this context it's clear that Makyo is a planet.

Litt-Seijin: This is the small race who Gohan and Kuririn's battle armor they wore on Planet Namek was designed for. Their name is most likely a pun on “little”. In the Viz manga, they are called “the people of Planet Lilliput”. In the manga they are only mentioned by Vegeta and never actually appear, but in the Garlic Jr. filler arc, Vegeta is shown slaughtering them. The anime gives them a birdlike appearance.

Shirts-Seijin: The inhabitants of Planet Shirts, who Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz wipe out in three days, as shown in a filler scene. They look basically just like humans.

Tabbu-Seijin: The only one I haven't been able to figure out. Though I think the name might be a pun on buta, Japanese for "pig".

Kanassa-Seijin: The people Barduck and his crew wipe out in the Barduck special. Their name is a pun on sakana, Japanese for “fish”, which they resemble. The only one of them given a name is Tooro, who isn't called by name in the special itself, but is listed in the credits.

Meat-Seijin: The other race Barduck's crew wipe out in the special, before Dodoria and his men kill them all.

Kuhn-Seijin: The inhabitants of Planet Kuhn, one of the planets from Plan to Exterminate the Saiyans. They resemble dogs, which is where they get their name from (“ku~n” being the cry of a dog). Some of them can predict the future. They are harassed by the space pirates from Planet Ater. Because of this, the town on Planet Kuhn is named Pirates.

Ater-Seijin: The inhabitants of Planet Ater, the other planet from Plan to Exterminate the Saiyans. Most of the planet is water (hence the name), and they live underwater. Some of them are space pirates. The town on their planet is named Aqua, for obvious reasons.

Aria-Seijin: The insectoid race that Vegeta and Nappa destroy in a filler episode. I think their name might be from ari, Japanese for “ant”, though they look more like grasshoppers than ants. Maybe they're just all opera fans.

Konattsu-Seijin: Tapion and Minoshia's race, from DBZ movie 13. Planet Konattsu is in the southern galaxy, and it's name is a pun on “coconuts”.

Shamo-Seijin: The small, mohawk-sporting race that Paragus enslaved in DBZ movie 8. Planet Shamo itself is destroyed by Broli midway through the movie. Goku rescues them from the destruction of New Planet Vegeta. Somewhat confusingly, one of them is actually named "Shamo" (the Vegeta of his race, perhaps?).

Beanz-Jin: The race of Turles' two henchmen Rezun and Rakasei, from DBZ movie 3. Their race is actually extinct, and Turles revived them from a petrified state using extract from the Shinseiju fruit. Note that they're “Beanz-jin” and not “Beanz-Seijin”, so it's unclear what the name of their home planet was. Anyway, the name is an obvious pun on “beans”.

Ikonda-Seijin: The race of Kakao, the big red cyborg from DBZ movie 3. I think the name might be a pun on daikon, Japanese radish.

Race of Hera (heraa ichizoku): The race of Bojack and crew, which they are the only survivors of. I don't know what it's a pun on.

Here's a bonus one, not from the list: Alpha-Seijin. They're the race of vaguely toad-like aliens who Kid Buu wipes out in the filler scene that shows Buu's origins. Their name is often mis-romanized as "Aruhua-Seijin". The name comes from Daizenshuu 10, which shows their character model sheets, though it mistakenly describes them as the inhabitents of the planet Buu wiped out while searching for Goku and Vegeta (the inhabitents of that planet were never shown).
Last edited by Herms on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Obscure races

Post by Rocketman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:13 pm

Herms wrote:Race of Hera (heraa ichizoku): The race of Bojack and crew, which they are the only survivors of. I don't know what it's a pun on.
Is this Hera spelled/whatever like the name of the Greek Queen of the Gods?

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Rocketman wrote:Is this Hera spelled/whatever like the name of the Greek Queen of the Gods?
No, it has a lengthening mark on the end, meaning you'll supposed to stretch the ending sound when pronouncing it. For Hera the goddess, it's spelled ヘラ, but for Bojack's race it's ヘラー. In Japanese, a stretched "a" sounds on the end of things is often used to approximate the "er" sound in English, so an alternate romanization might be "Herer".

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 pm

BEAUTIFUL work, Herms!

The universe section of daizenshuu 7 agrees with you regarding "Makyosei" being a planet instead of a star; its bio describes it as "the homeworld of the family of demons."

As for the Tabbu, they're probably either Yakon's or Pui Pui's race (either the inhabitants of the Ankokusei/Dark Planet or Zun). My guess is Yakon's, since he looks and eats like a pig (buta), and since the nature of his planet (pure darkness) works with the taboo pun, as many cultures believe the concept of pure evil/darkness to be a taboo.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 pm

Herms wrote:Beanz-Jin: The race of Tullece' two henchmen Rezun and Rakasei, from DBZ movie 3. Their race is actually extinct, and Tullece revived them from a petrified state using extract from the Shinseiju fruit. Note that they're “Beanz-jin” and not “Beanz-Seijin”, so it's unclear what the name of their home planet was. Anyway, the name is an obvious pun on “beans”.

So we're to believe Turles has the technological know-how and the intelligence to bring people back to life? :shock:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:So we're to believe Turles has the technological know-how and the intelligence to bring people back to life? :shock:
That's the Shinseiju fruit for you. I guess 'petrified state' is different to 'dead' though.

Good work Herms. Interesting stuff.
Last edited by Bussani on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Herms wrote:Beanz-Jin: The race of Tullece' two henchmen Rezun and Rakasei, from DBZ movie 3. Their race is actually extinct, and Tullece revived them from a petrified state using extract from the Shinseiju fruit. Note that they're “Beanz-jin” and not “Beanz-Seijin”, so it's unclear what the name of their home planet was. Anyway, the name is an obvious pun on “beans”.

So we're to believe Turles has the technological know-how and the intelligence to bring people back to life? :shock:
Is it really that irrealistic that he'd try to use the fruit as a means of a medicine? I can easily see him giving a fruit to an alien scientist and saying "Here. Make a medicine out of this. Or I'll kill you and your family. Slowly. And Painfully."
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:

Nah. Dead and petrified are slightly different. I'm thinking by 'petrified' they mean more along the lines of 'suspended' in some fashion, such as suspended animation. Doubt it would have been natural, since they're supposedly extinct, though.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 pm

Dayspring wrote:The universe section of daizenshuu 7 agrees with you regarding "Makyosei" being a planet instead of a star; its bio describes it as "the homeworld of the family of demons."
I'm pretty sure it's stated in the Garlic Jr. filler arc as well.
As for the Tabbu, they're probably either Yakon's or Pui Pui's race (either the inhabitants of the Ankokusei/Dark Planet or Zun). My guess is Yakon's, since he looks and eats like a pig (buta), and since the nature of his planet (pure darkness) works with the taboo pun, as many cultures believe the concept of pure evil/darkness to be a taboo.
But it can't be Yakon or Pui Pui's race, because Daizenshuu 7 says Tabbu-Seijin is a race from the anime.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Herms wrote:and Neiz is from Planet Zoruto.
You didn't mention this one, but I Zoruto quite obviously comes from salt (soruto), which fits with Dore's home planet of Beppa. I would personlly call it Planet Zalt.

Sounds cool.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Herms wrote:and Neiz is from Planet Zoruto.
You didn't mention this one, but I Zoruto quite obviously comes from salt (soruto), which fits with Dore's home planet of Beppa. I would personlly call it Planet Zalt.

Sounds cool.
Sidebar: French translated "Zoruto-seijin" to "Zoltiens," which would be "Zoltians" in English.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:You didn't mention this one, but I Zoruto quite obviously comes from salt (soruto), which fits with Dore's home planet of Beppa. I would personlly call it Planet Zalt.
Man, that's weird. I did a thread awhile back on the background information for Coola and Turles' henchemen, and there I called it "Planet Zalt" and noted the name pun. I guess I just forget since then. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll go change "Zoruto" to "Zalt".

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Herms wrote:I'll go change "Zoruto" to "Zalt".
Why? It's obviously a pun on "soruto", not "salt". :?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Soruto-->Salt, Zoruto-->Zalt

Like how most people write "Freeza" instead of "Furiiza."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Soruto-->Salt, Zoruto-->Zalt

Like how most people write "Freeza" instead of "Furiiza."
So is soruta engrishy for "salt," or is it the Japanese word for it? If it's engrishy, I take back my statement.

If not, I don't see a point in changing it. It would be like saying Kakarot is better than Kakarotto.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Is it possible that the Tabbul are a species of one of Freeza's henchmen that appear only in the Bardock special? The alien that Bardock flips over so that the guy's superior punches through him, for example.

EDIT: And you didn't mention the Three-Eyes, the alien decendents of Tenshinhan, in your guide. :P

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:25 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Dayspring wrote:So is soruta engrishy for "salt," or is it the Japanese word for it? If it's engrishy, I take back my statement.
shio is the Japanese word for "salt", but soruto is also used sometimes.
Dayspring wrote:Is it possible that the Tabbul are a species of one of Freeza's henchmen that appear only in the Bardock special? The alien that Bardock flips over so that the guy's superior punches through him, for example.
Maybe. Although now I think it might be the race of Deiz, the earing-wearing, human-looking Turles henchman. I forgot to include this in my first post, but the Japanese Wikipedia page for DBZ movie 3 gives Amond, the other human-looking Turles henchmen, as being from Planet Nuts. That gives a race to all of the Turles henchmen except Daiz, so I'm thinking Tabbu-seijin might be his.
EDIT: And you didn't mention the Three-Eyes, the alien decendents of Tenshinhan, in your guide. :P
Ahaha...yeah, I kind of didn't want to go into that, since it tends to start arguements. But don't you mean the alien ancestors of Tenshinhan?
Kunzait_83 wrote:God I love Daizex. Nowhere else on any other English language Dragon Ball site would something this cool EVER be posted.
Aww, thank you!
Ha! I never knew those guys were actually supposed to be Litts. That's just... incredible how the Toei filler writers remembered such an obscure throwaway detail from one line in the manga, and ran with it enough to actually design them and include them in the anime. This is the sort of shit I especially love filler for.

Were they actually referred to as Litts within the episode, or is that only information in the Daizenshuu/Japanese Dragon Ball websites? Cause I totally don't remember if they were. I might just consult my DVDs and check.
I think that they were, but it's been awhile since I've seen those episodes.
Oddly enough, I’d recently watched that ep like less than a month ago, and while I know that race was mentioned, I can’t recall if Simmons subbed their name as “Shirts” or as something else. Again, something for me to check out.
The direct romanization of their name is shatsu, so maybe that's what was used. This is how you write the English word "shirt" in Japanese, and I think that's their name pun. Incidently, my last name is "Schutz" (pronounced like "he shuts the door"), which you write basically that same way in Japanese, so when I get to translating something that mentions them for Kanzentai, I might be a complete bastard and call them "People of Planet Schutz".

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:16 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 pm

I st lrned shing ut fanfic cracter 've had or 8 ars.

Hot mn, y cputer cks.

... WTF?
memory k

I just learned something about A character that I've been fanfic-ing for 8 years.
(damn, I'm typing really f**king slowly so my letters don't die. :mad: )
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).