Official "Show off your Dragonball Crap" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:35 pm

-Just posting to fix an error-
-Anyone know why this 'no topic exists' error comes up on this thread so much?-

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:53 pm

desirecampbell wrote:-Anyone know why this 'no topic exists' error comes up on this thread so much?-
I believe that usually means that there was a page worth of posts deleted, which creates this extra space. At least, that's what I've seen in other forums.

Vivisection

Post by Vivisection » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:14 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: What is that "Dragonball Book"? It looks a lok like a doujinshi, but that's a weird title for one...
Yup, it's a (rather bizarre :wink: ) doujinshi. It's hard to spot, but I believe the title's actually underneath: "nami wa bimi naru tamentai" is my dubious romanization.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Snail wrote:Those Dragonboxes.....*drools so...sexy. I could live with a dry spell of a whole year (don't judge me :cry: ) if I could get my hands on those babies for a good price that wouldnt burn my wallet up into flames.

Anyways, great collection. I'm not entirely into figures as much either. I'm a DVD addict.
You can get the Dragonboxes off celga.com's service for about $700-$1000+ and if you're smart, you can get both of the Z ones for $1500 total. They're pretty oversaturated on japanese auction sites.

I decided to get the R2 singles since it's more economically efficient in the long run and I can choose whatever part of the series I want to get.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:43 am

Vivisection wrote:My massive collection:
o.o Ooooh! You have Be Here Now! I've been eyeing that book for a long time- is it any good?
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:38 pm

If I had all the Dragon Boxes, I'm pretty sure I'd be set in terms of DVDs forever. I know they don't have subs or anything but still... it's one of those things that if you've got 'em, you pretty much collected a significant chunk of DB awesomeness and don't even really need to pick up anything else for a while.

Maybe I'll hunt 'em down in fifty or so years once I end up like those old people that have already lived their lives and just travel the world. That'd be nice :).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DragoonClawNZ
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragoonClawNZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:24 pm

I would love to get the Dragonboxes one day also. My collection is pretty small, I don't really collect figures and books, not yet. I've only been collecting for nearly a year and still have to get a job sometime. But here it is, sorry if the images are too big:

Remastered Season Sets, I'm sick of the Madman releases because of all the flaws they made with theirs so I'm getting the FUNimation ones soon. I do have Garlic Jr till Kid Buu sagas but I'm not going to show them because they're not genuine:

Remastered Movie Collections, Madman are releasing Dead Zone and Worlds Strongest in New Zealand but they have screwed up the release so I got the brilliant FUNimation release:

Original Movie Releases, just missing Bio Broly, Wrath of the Dragon and the two TV specials:

Fan-made emblems I have on the wall:

Piccolo Daimao's:

Kamesennin and Kaio-samas:

And the only poster I have, probably shouldn't of even posted it:

And that's about it.
"There is no spoon"
"There is no peace, peace is a lie"

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:49 pm

DragoonClawNZ wrote:Remastered Season Sets, I'm sick of the Madman releases because of all the flaws they made with theirs so I'm getting the FUNimation ones soon.
Whats wrong with the Madman Season Sets?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:
DragoonClawNZ wrote:Remastered Season Sets, I'm sick of the Madman releases because of all the flaws they made with theirs so I'm getting the FUNimation ones soon.
Whats wrong with the Madman Season Sets?
I second this question, I know the Madman singles had subtitles errors.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:31 pm

@DragoonClawNZ

What's up with Yamcha in that poster, I don't ever remember him having the blue under shirt.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:58 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:@DragoonClawNZ

What's up with Yamcha in that poster, I don't ever remember him having the blue under shirt.
He had it once at Kami's lookout. Should have worn it more often, makes him look cooler.

DragoonClawNZ
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragoonClawNZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:Whats wrong with the Madman Season Sets?
Here are the flaws.

#1: The Japanese/Alternate Angle is gone so only FUNimations is on there.
#2: Season One Episode 4 track 2 plays Japanese BGM and Mark Menza at one time, gets really annoying.
#3: Seasons Two and beyond don't have book holders.
#4: The FUNimation trailers are missing and replaced by shit Madman ones.
#5: The art of Shenron on the inside has been replaced by a useless reversible cover so that also means, no spanning spine that shows part of the title on each season.
#6: Heaps may disagree with me but the cardboard packaging is gone and replaced by plastic cases, which I don't like.
#7: No marathon feature on Seasons One, Two and Three but they're still on Seasons Four and upcoming Five.

The only thing that I liked about the Madman ones are that the menus were actually widescreen (1024x576) instead of (768x576) like the FUNimation releases.
Kid Trunks wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:@DragoonClawNZ

He had it once at Kami's lookout. Should have worn it more often, makes him look cooler.
Yeah, I remember that but I don't remember him ever wearing it with that hairstyle and arc.
"There is no spoon"

Torque

Post by Torque » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Got some goodies from FedEx today:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 pm

I only own the first two season sets, but I much prefer the packaging Madman went with to the flimsy US packaging.

As for the missing marathon feature, a Madman rep said that it was cut due to the amount of coding they had to do to keep it in, it has been stated that the newest season set (whichever that is, I don't actually care) will have the marathon feature.

As for subtitle problems on Madman's releases, The path to power's sub track dies half way through the movie, and an episode of the Uranai Baba saga only has dubtitles.

In the "Z era" the only subtitle problem I'm aware of is during movie 5 where two of Cooler's lines appear as "#NAME" thankfully neither of these are that important.

Anyway, the way I see it, the season sets are more flawed a product.

DragoonClawNZ
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragoonClawNZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I only own the first two season sets, but I much prefer the packaging Madman went with to the flimsy US packaging.

As for the missing marathon feature, a Madman rep said that it was cut due to the amount of coding they had to do to keep it in, it has been stated that the newest season set (whichever that is, I don't actually care) will have the marathon feature.

As for subtitle problems on Madman's releases, The path to power's sub track dies half way through the movie, and an episode of the Uranai Baba saga only has dubtitles.

In the "Z era" the only subtitle problem I'm aware of is during movie 5 where two of Cooler's lines appear as "#NAME" thankfully neither of these are that important.

Anyway, the way I see it, the season sets are more flawed a product.
Yeah but they could of at least kept the art of Shenron on the inside instead of the reversible covers.

I knew that but it was an disappointment but doesn't really matter because I like watching the openings, recaps and endings.

I heard about that, it was an disappointment.

I know! I was watching my Coolers Revenge DVD in Japanese with subtitles and it said #NAME in the subtitles. I was so confused.

Oh well, it was nice to see what the Madman versions were like but I'm going to continue it getting FUNimations releases.
"There is no spoon"

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Today at FYE I just picked up these rare gems.
I also have these DVD's too
I also have Season 5 & Budokai Tenkaichi 2

DragoonClawNZ
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragoonClawNZ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:28 pm

Very nice collection db_fan1991.
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Today at FYE I just picked up these rare gems.
Wow, I didn't know that they were that rare and I also didn't realise how different they looked to my Madman releases.
"There is no spoon"

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Madman are still putting those releases out in a box, sadly the original Movie 1 disc was replaced with the ultimate uncut version of movie one.

DragoonClawNZ
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DragoonClawNZ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:51 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Madman are still putting those releases out in a box, sadly the original Movie 1 disc was replaced with the ultimate uncut version of movie one.
As you may see in one of mine, I have the the Pioneer release of Dead Zone, got it for $6 on Trademe and it's almost brand new. I prefer the Ultimate Uncut Edition version though but I always watch the Steelbook/Double Feature now, I just keep the UUE and Pioneer releases for nostalgic purposes.
"There is no spoon"

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:41 am

I just picked up the Season One box. It was sitting there at Wal-Mart for $19.94. I picked it up, turned it over, and saw the nice and useful "39 Episodes" number.

There is a point at which I will stop being stubborn. There is a point at which I'll swallow a few flaws.

$20 for a season set is that number, for me.

Just watching the series, I'm honestly much happier with the set than I thought I'd be. It's nice to own this much of the series in a single box. And the widescreen, the remastering...it just doesn't bother me that much while watching it.

I get my Dragonball on the relatively cheap. I suppose I'm just happy with that.

Watching the series got me in a Dragonball mood, so I finally ordered the 2nd VizBig and the "Complete Illustrations" from Amazon. Now I'll have all of Dragonball in Manga, and maybe all of Z in the orange bricks. And then I can continue to work both ways until I finally have it all.

It's nice to own this stuff.
Last edited by Super Ghost Kamikaze on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.