Dr. Gero Cures Aids

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Dr. Gero Cures Aids

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 am

Yahoo! news wrote: Dr. Gero Huetter said his 42-year-old patient, an American living in Berlin who was not identified, had been infected with the AIDS virus for more than a decade. But 20 months after undergoing a transplant of genetically selected bone marrow, he no longer shows signs of carrying the virus.
Link to full article

Yes, yes, I know the connection is coincidental, and only amusing to those of us who are unfamiliar with randomly hearing about a Dr. Gero that didn't blow up South City (or an island nine miles southwest there of).
... But Yeah, I was neither the first to notice nor the only one amused that Dr. Gero 'cured' AIDs. So... there. ^_^

[ Yeah, and I know this doesn't necessarily constitute a cure. But it's something, right? ]
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:09 am

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

The story or page you were trying to access may have expired.
Looks like you have a typo in the URL.

Funny though (and interesting)!

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:55 am

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Didn't Bulma say he was a famous scientist? Maybe this is one of the things he did before he joined the Red Ribbon Army, and all of the events of Dragon Ball will happen in the future. :P
­

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Taku128 wrote:Didn't Bulma say he was a famous scientist? Maybe this is one of the things he did before he joined the Red Ribbon Army, and all of the events of Dragon Ball will happen in the future. :P
Bardock was also a scientist. A brilliant one too.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Super 17 wrote:
Taku128 wrote:Didn't Bulma say he was a famous scientist? Maybe this is one of the things he did before he joined the Red Ribbon Army, and all of the events of Dragon Ball will happen in the future. :P
Come to think of it, how many brilliant scientists did we have in the series/universe?

- Dr. Gero
- Dr. Brief
- Dr. Uiro
- Dr. Myuu
- "Doctor" (the one who worked for Freeza)
- Bardock
- Appule

OK, so all the REAL ones had "Doctor" either IN their name, or it WAS their name. Did I miss anyone?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:19 pm

If you are counting the movies you have Dr. Kochin, the so-called OVA spotlights Dr. Raichii, and then there was the doctor at the hospital where Kakarrot, Son Gohan and Kuririn were at after the Saiyan Saga.

By the way, the Appule feature was great, it is funny how someone can take a few scenes and develop something completely contrary to what actually occurred and many will believe that it is fact. :D
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:29 pm

That is a pretty funny coincidence, considering Dragonball's popularity I wonder if, someone has ever made him aware of it, although I doubt it. :P

As far as the brilliant scientists of Dragonball go, I don't think we can exclude Bulma, she created the Dragon-radar, built a time machine, and helped her father fix 16. I always imagined she had a Ph.D in programing, robotics, or something. We just know her as Bulma, cause naturally her friends are going to call her by first name, and it would also get confusing since there's already a Doctor Briefs.
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Super 17 wrote:
Come to think of it, how many brilliant scientists did we have in the series/universe?

- Dr. Gero
- Dr. Brief
- Dr. Uiro
- Dr. Myuu
- Bardock
- Appule

OK, so all the REAL ones had "Doctor" either IN their name, or it WAS their name. Did I miss anyone?
What about Dr. Frapple? Is he Dr. Uiro in Japanese? I never have heard of him.
Yasai-R-Mighty wrote:That is a pretty funny coincidence, considering Dragonball's popularity I wonder if, someone has ever made him aware of it, although I doubt it. :P
Its funny how I typed in "Dr. Gero" in google and nothing comes up on the cure for AIDS guy, only DBZ-related, at least not in the first few pages of google. Now if you type in "latest news Dr. Gero" you will find the cured for AIDS article.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Yasai-R-Mighty wrote:I always imagined she had a Ph.D in programing, robotics, or something.
She was still going to (probably high) school in early DB, so I doubt she had an official Ph.D.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:OK, so all the REAL ones had "Doctor" either IN their name, or it WAS their name. Did I miss anyone?
Credited as "the scientist", there's always that squid-lookin' guy who worked for Paragus. :shock:

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Super 17 wrote:What about Dr. Frapple? Is he Dr. Uiro in Japanese? I never have heard of him.
Dr. Uiro was the giant brain monster robot man from the Second Z movie, also known as Dr. Wheelo in the Funimation dubs and Dr. Willow in the AB Groupe dub.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Ohh ok I haven't watched Movie 2 in a long time, so I gues I forgot.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Super 17 wrote:What about Dr. Frapple? Is he Dr. Uiro in Japanese? I never have heard of him.
Dr. Frappe is the anime-only scientist that supposedly made #8. He's mentioned no where in the manga.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:05 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Super 17 wrote:

- Dr. Gero
- Dr. Brief
- Dr. Uiro
- Dr. Myuu
- Bardock
- Appule

Not sure how to spell their names, but were those scientists on Slug's ship doctors in movie 4. Spelled phonetically I believe that they are Ongroo and Mowa (I know I butchered the spellings).
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."