New Live-Action Dragon Ball Photo(s) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:I liked Chatwin in the Invisible (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435670/). Good movie, you all should see it.

On topic now, I'm not sure I really like that picture. I am a supporter of the movie and will be there at midnight... but... I don't know...
You liked the invisible?

I find it interesting the person who directed that movie co-wrote 2 little movies called "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight."

Too bad The Invisible was... bad.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:58 pm

I remember the trailers for "The Invisible" having me intrigued before it came out, but I never got to see it. I keep meaning to in order to get some idea for Chatwin's acting talent, but the opportunity hasn't arisen. :/
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm up for Chatwin for Goku, awesome new poster, but he almost looks like he's yawning. That was the first thing I thought of when I glanced at his face.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:54 am

The invisible was ok it just lacks flare. It had a lot going for it, but it just fell flat and some how got washed away with other teen angst films.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:55 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:I remember the trailers for "The Invisible" having me intrigued before it came out, but I never got to see it. I keep meaning to in order to get some idea for Chatwin's acting talent, but the opportunity hasn't arisen. :/
I actually set out to watch it for exactly this reason, but I’m sorry to say his acting was less than impressive. Not that the movie—basically an angsty teen emo flick—was very demanding, but watching it I just could not imagine why he of all people was chosen to play Goku. I think it will end up being bad casting choice. But don’t take my word for it… do see the movie for yourself. It’s actually kind of funny.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:44 am

Acid_Reign wrote:I think it will end up being bad casting choice.
I'd say the very fact that the guy playing Yamcha came in, wearing a cap and shorts, and didn't even say a single line before the director even said "You're Yamcha" says a lot about the entire casting decisions made for this movie.

Especially if this is who is playing as Chichi...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:32 am

Tsukento wrote:Especially if this is who is playing as Chichi...
Yeah, honestly. Of all the talented actors out there, they go with someone who had to hack it on The Real World just to get noticed. And even then, she’s only ever had bit parts (“Hooters Girl” from Chuck & Larry), save her stint as Samurai Girl, if that really counts. I can’t help but think that, even in lieu of the changes, they at least could have hired more experienced actors than this.

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:47 am

Tsukento wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:I think it will end up being bad casting choice.
I'd say the very fact that the guy playing Yamcha came in, wearing a cap and shorts, and didn't even say a single line before the director even said "You're Yamcha" says a lot about the entire casting decisions made for this movie.

Especially if this is who is playing as Chichi...
Snips image
I guess Meri was right by calling her a "slutty Asian" the first time she saw Chung. :lol:
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 am

kvon wrote:I guess Meri was right by calling her a "slutty Asian" the first time she saw Chung. :lol:
Wikipedia wrote:According to her mtv.com biography page, Chung is a second-generation Korean-American woman raised by "traditional" parents in San Francisco
I’m sure they’re very proud.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:50 am

Acid_Reign wrote:Yeah, honestly. Of all the talented actors out there, they go with someone who had to hack it on The Real World just to get noticed. And even then, she’s only ever had bit parts (“Hooters Girl” from Chuck & Larry), save her stint as Samurai Girl, if that really counts. I can’t help but think that, even in lieu of the changes, they at least could have hired more experienced actors than this.
Yeah, it's definitely one of the many reasons why I can't take this movie seriously as an actual film. Not only is it a poor adaption so far, but the make-up and wardrobe is horrible, the casting choices are so poor that they figured hiring James Marsters and Chow Yun-Fat would cover up the fact that they pulled a bunch of nobodies out of the gutter to represent characters in the film that are poor adaptions of actual characters from the series.

Aside from those two actors, the only one I've ever heard of and immediately recognized was Ernie Hudson...and he's supposed to be based on an old, martial arts master with the very Asian name, Mutaito. Had I not actually seen Chatwin's pictures, I wouldn't have recognized him at all. The past movie's he's been in have been either unmemorable or his parts have been unmemorable.

I mean, really. The main role for this movie has been more of a bit part actor than an actual lead character. Not only that, but most have been TV parts for generally one or two episodes per series.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Chatwin wasn't bad in LOST, in fact I didn't recognize him.

Sure, it was all the hair's doing, but hey, I'm throwing him a bone.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Chatwin wasn't bad in LOST, in fact I didn't recognize him.
Tsk tsk tsk, didn't even make an impression...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Tsukento wrote:Especially if this is who is playing as Chichi...
I see no problem here.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Acid_Reign wrote: Chung is a second-generation Korean-American
I took her for Chinese with a name like Chung. The more you know...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:I see no problem here.
Enjoy your trashy Asian girl then. She's like the anti-Chichi considering how completely different the two are in terms of all around looks and personalities.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if movie Chichi's supposed to be a typical, stuck up, popular high school girl.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Tsukento wrote: Enjoy your trashy Asian girl then.
I don't see why you have to come at her as person just because you feel she was miscast. Seriously dude you don't even know her...
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Tsukento wrote:I honestly wouldn't be surprised if movie Chichi's supposed to be a typical, stuck up, popular high school girl.
We won't really know until we see her in action. Ms. Chung herself, however, has focused on Chi-Chi's spunk, martial arts, and general kickassery the couple times she's been interviewed about it. Anything about the high school factor or this "it girl" thing everyone seems to be dwelling on... certainly doesn't seem to be how she sees the role.
deviantART
[thread]

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:01 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
Tsukento wrote: Enjoy your trashy Asian girl then.
I don't see why you have to come at her as person just because you feel she was miscast. Seriously dude you don't even know her...
Welcome to the entertainment industry.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:05 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Anything about the high school factor or this "it girl" thing everyone seems to be dwelling on... certainly doesn't seem to be how she sees the role.
Uwe Boll thinks he's "the only genius in the whole fucking movie business" (direct quote from him). Because he sees himself as such, does that make it so?

Also, inb4LeaveJamieAlone.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:15 pm

Tsukento wrote:Uwe Boll thinks he's "the only genius in the whole fucking movie business" (direct quote from him). Because he sees himself as such, does that make it so?
Well, everyone hates Uwe Boll but Uwe Boll himself. He claims to be good, but his repeated puke-worthy films prove he's wrong, and an idiot with delusions of grandeur.

However, if Ms. Chung says Chi-Chi is a martial-artist firecracker in the movie, it'd be fair to believe her until we see otherwise. And so far, all we've actually seen of Chi-Chi, from promotional pics and the promo, show her kicking ass and taking names. Meaning she ain't lying.
deviantART
[thread]