So... How was it?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:44 am

VegettoEX wrote:Image
That image rules. ^^ Mind if I swipe it for use elsewhere?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:48 am

Jakez04 wrote: 3)I am really stupid and should use my brain a lot more. :wink:
I'm gonna have to go with that one. EX how is this kid still on the forums?

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:20 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Jakez04 wrote: 3)I am really stupid and should use my brain a lot more. :wink:
I'm gonna have to go with that one. EX how is this kid still on the forums?
Cuz I am so lovable. You just have to love my um.. whatever it is that you have to love. :wink:
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:23 am

Xyex wrote:That image rules. ^^ Mind if I swipe it for use elsewhere?
Actually, I'd rather you didn't :P. I use it as a personal identifying image in certain places for certain reasons ^^;;

Glad you like it, though!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:25 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Actually, I'd rather you didn't :P. I use it as a personal identifying image in certain places for certain reasons ^^;;

How about me big guy? I'm I still getting the Pork N Beans form you this week? Or do I have to go the store this time?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:31 am

Jakez04 wrote:How about me big guy? I'm I still getting the Pork N Beans form you this week? Or do I have to go the store this time?
If you don't shut the Hell up and stop being retarded, you WILL be banned.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:38 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Jakez04 wrote:How about me big guy? I'm I still getting the Pork N Beans form you this week? Or do I have to go the store this time?
If you don't shut the Hell up and stop being retarded, you WILL be banned.
lol So mean seriously. Fine I won't play around I'll be serious and dull.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:03 pm

If it's getting to the point where intelligence is associated with dullness, I don't want to live in this world.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

Aww, boo. Guess I'll just have to track down something and make my own... needs to be different though... hmmm.... *wonders off mumbling under his breath.*
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

maarken

Post by maarken » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:53 pm

Xyex wrote: Aww, boo. Guess I'll just have to track down something and make my own... needs to be different though... hmmm.... *wonders off mumbling under his breath.*
I always find mumbling to myself through the woods is nice.

Sorry about my earlier "improper grammar" EX, I must have skipped past that part of the rules.

Anywho, does anyone else feel that, while entertaining and exciting at some points, that Dragonball is an "entry level" anime for those new to the concept of japanese anime?

Not to sound condescending of a good anime in my taste, but it certainly is not Hellsing or Evangelion. What do you guys think?
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

seriously... give me my money!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:21 pm

maarken wrote:Not to sound condescending of a good anime in my taste, but it certainly is not Hellsing or Evangelion. What do you guys think?
Forgive me for sounding condescending and throwing my own thread off-topic... but... HELLSING?!?

Oh geeze... ;_;

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:30 pm

Oh, god. First of all, Dragonball is the greatest. Nyah. And Hellsing isn't even on the list...

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:35 pm

Dragon Ball is aimed at a younger audience. It's an comedy/action series. Evangelion is a psychological/religious/philosiphical/Kabbalistic/subliminal/really-kick-ass-mechas-that-have-really-cool-guns-and-lances series that made no sense to me. It just so happened that American audiences were introduced to DB since it was one of the very first anime shows released here.

I don't know what Hellsing is, but yah, it's not on the list! Hmph!

EDIT: By the way, what list?
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:39 pm

Anywho, does anyone else feel that, while entertaining and exciting at some points, that Dragonball is an "entry level" anime for those new to the concept of japanese anime?

Not to sound condescending of a good anime in my taste, but it certainly is not Hellsing or Evangelion. What do you guys think?
le sigh... if I had a nickel for every time I'd seen something like that...

err anyway. Yes, I would probably say DB is an "entry level" anime... it obviously wasn't meant to have a very deep or complex story, and is not too hard to follow or particularly thought-provoking...
It does have some mature aspects though, and deep characters...
In conclusion, yes it could be called a beginner anime, but so could a lot of other series.

EDIT: just want to add something. No matter how "cool" Hellsing may be - Dragonball still ownz it. :twisted: muahaha.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:34 pm

DragonBall Z and Pokemon are pretty much solely responsible for bringing anime to any sort of prominence in the west. Sure, you had shows like Star Blazers and Speed Racer back in them thar old days, but those shows really were changed beyond all recognition.

For all that their parent companies have tried to hide their "Japanese"-ness, DBZ and Pokemon were the first sort of anime that the general populace knew were from a foreign country. They went from there outwards, to lesser known types of animes. So yes, DBZ was a "starter-anime" for many people. Unfortunatly, that's also what's caused the "Ewww, you still like DBZ?" attitude amoungst Otaku snobs/wankers.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:51 pm

PsyLiam wrote:For all that their parent companies have tried to hide their "Japanese"-ness, DBZ and Pokemon were the first sort of anime that the general populace knew were from a foreign country.
Yet, they still tried to claim that Brocks rice balls were really donuts. :lol:

Next they'll try to say it's a Big Mac.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:44 pm

I always found that quite funny, to be honest. It was amusing seeing how many different sorts of food products they'd end up calling them.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:51 pm

Let's not even mention all that "tea" they drank on Tenchi Muyo! :P

Sure, DB/Z/GT isn't as complex or deep as some other shows, and it's certainly more "kid friendly" than other shows out there. That doesn't stop it from being my personal favorite, however. There's something about the show that I really connect with in a way I don't with a lot of other anime/shows that I've seen. In a critical way, there are certainly other anime shows or movies that are "better" than DB from a technical or cinematic standpoint. But there's a true difference between the what you think are the "best" anime/shows/movies/books/etc, and which ones are your "favorite". And when it comes to anime, you better believe Dragonball is my favorite! :D
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

maarken

okay

Post by maarken » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:35 am

I wasn't trying to throw your thread off topic, EX, I was merely wondering. I agree that Dragonball is an awesome anime, far-surpassing many of its predecessors and those that came after it. I realize the story wasn't meant to be deep and thought-provoking. I think Dragonball is the one solid "children's" anime (if you can call Dragonball a children's lol *Muten Roshi is a dirty dirty old man haha*).

*Even though it's "off-topic", if you haven't seen Hellsing, you should. It's just that good, but it has a lot of blood and stuff so only if you're comfortable with it.*

But the Hellsing and Evangelion were examples, EX, I wasn't trying to open discussion on them. I just feel that a lot of people use Dragonball and Pokemon and now Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade (ugh) as their entrance to anime.

I don't think you can have a serious anime discussion about any of these except Dragonball because of its concept. I am sorry if anyone was upset about my intended innocent question. I didn't mean to get everyone so upset by asking about Dragonball's purpose in the western world.

On the side, DB is my favorite anime of its genre, I started watching it as a Saturday morning cartoon back in the day. I'd even watch GT on the Spanish channel (oh man. it was horrible). I just don't think GT is an any way comparable to DB or Z, especially since the creator had nothing to do with it. (If Toriyama's out, then that says something). But yeah, I do apologize to you, EX, for throwing your thread so far off (I lead them to Tenchi Muyo :D )
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

seriously... give me my money!

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:40 am

Frothy mugs of water...

Dragon Ball/Z was one of the first major anime shows to reach America. So people got into DBZ, and after realizing they like anime, went for other shows. I'm not really an anime fan, but I did enjoy Akira and the Evangelion movies. And I would say they were better than Dragon Ball. But of course, it's not fair to compare them, since they are in totally different genres.

Ooh, on topic....er...AF rules!

I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.