FUNi GT Opening And Ending Themes

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBHighDefinition
Regular

FUNi GT Opening And Ending Themes

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 pm

So...it's finally been released ( Kind of ) it has accurate translations, and actually sounds good *cough**Grand Tour**cough*

Me? I totally was not expecting that, hats off to FUNi for actually attempting that...and it worked.

What do you guys think?
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:31 pm

I was talking to Conan the SSJ about it in AIM. It doesn't sound bad by any means, and the translation is surprisingly decent, it just sounds...odd in English to me. I attribute that more to the fact that I've heard it in Japanese for a decade or so solely (aside from the Blue Water dub's version).

It's not something that will find its way into my playlists or anything, but job well done to FUNi for the effort and surprising outcome.

-Corey

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm really really surprised Funimation would treat us to something so pleasant. It feels weird to have them start treating Dragonball as one of their current dubs to some degree. I really do think this is a step in the right direction and I hope it keeps up. They really are full of surprises.

As for the song itself needless to say I thought it sounded fantastic. Much better then Blue Waters 12 second rendition. It was a little hard to catch all of the words right away but that is an extremely minor qualm. Now we just have to wait for the second release so I can see the ending "The way it was meant to be seen." (Surprisingly Funimation's new saying actually fits very well with this release.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Yeah, these impressed me. Unlike the Dragon Ball themes, they actually tried to stick to the Japanese music. Still confused on why they had Hitori ja Nai sung by a woman. Not that's bad or anything, I'm just used to a male singing it.

Well, I listened to DAN DAN in English again, and I wrote the lyrics too:

Bit by bit, I'm falling under your spell.
Your smile's all I need to see to know we'll,
leave this endless darkness, saying come along with me!
Hold my Hand

Back when you first came into my life,
I recalled a place that I knew as a child.
A special place, one that I held close to my heart.
Won't you lead me in a dance down this Winding Road?
Where Light and Shadow entwine to take hold,
of the thoughts of the one left far behind.

Know that sometimes, I want, to turn, around and see the things, that I've passed on the journey.
But know, with love on my side, with courage and pride, I'll fight, I will carry on!

Bit by bit, I'm falling under your charm.
You'll keep me and all the world far from harm,
bring hope to everyone, take in your eternity.

Even when seems that I don't need you,
just know that I am in love, can't wait to,
leave this endless darkness.
Won't you come along with me?
Hold my Hand

There you go.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:41 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Yeah, these impressed me. Unlike the Dragon Ball themes, they actually tried to stick to the Japanese music. Still confused on why they had Hitori ja Nai sung by a woman. Not that's bad or anything, I'm just used to a male singing it.

Well, I listened to DAN DAN in English again, and I wrote the lyrics too:

Bit by bit, I'm falling under your spell.
Your smile's all I need to see to know we'll,
leave this endless darkness, come along with me!
Hold my Hand

Back when you first came into my life,
I recalled a place that I knew as a child.
A special place, one that I held close to my heart.
Won't you lead me in a dance down this Winding Road?
Where Light and Shadow in twain to take hold,
of the thought of the one left far behind.

Know that sometimes, I want, to turn, around and see the things, that I've passed on the journey.
But know, with love on my side, with courage and pride, I'll fight, I will carry on!

Bit by bit, I'm falling under your charm.
You'll keep me and all the world far from harm,
bring hope to everyone, take in your eternity.

Even when seems that I don't need you,
just know that I am in love, can't wait to,
leave this endless darkness.
Won't you come along with me?
Hold my Hand

There you go.
Man, i never realised how close that is to the orginal. I guess I'll forgive FUNi for removing my YouTube videos...
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 pm

Amazing! I never thought FUNimation would do something like this. Does anyone know if they made an English version of Hitori ja Nai (or as FUNimation calls it, "Hitorijyanai")? If they do redo the endings in English, I'm buying the DBGT box sets. :D
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:44 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Amazing! I never thought FUNimation would do something like this. Does anyone know if they made an English version of Hitori ja Nai (or as FUNimation calls it, "Hitorijyanai")? If they do redo the endings in English, I'm buying the DBGT box sets. :D
Yes they have done the endings:

Hitorijyanai: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmsnmndwm0x

Don't you see!: http://www.mediafire.com/?qdxmxwnxmet

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:Amazing! I never thought FUNimation would do something like this. Does anyone know if they made an English version of Hitori ja Nai (or as FUNimation calls it, "Hitorijyanai")? If they do redo the endings in English, I'm buying the DBGT box sets. :D

Thank you! I'm very happy with FUNimation now. Though, I don't really like how they did Don't You See!. Oh well. I can't wait for Blue Velvet and Sabitsuita Mashingan de Ima o Uchinukō!

EDIT: I felt like putting up the lyrics to Hitori ja Nai.

I was once convinced I had no time for friends
That all I'd ever need was me, but then I changed my mind
Because I came to find how lonely life could really be

Now I've spent so much time just tryin' to figure out what my purpose is in life
I don't know what you do, I try to talk to you, no answers, only silence
But I promise you don't have to hide all the feeling you have inside

Because you're not alone; I am here and I wanna share my dreams with you
All my life I've been searchin' for answers and now my purpose is with you
We live together as one
Joined by love, there is nothin' to be afraid of; just have the strength to fulfill all your hopes and dreams
And remember that I'll be here, standin' right by your side

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 am

DBHighDefinition wrote:

Thanks for these! Do you have an MP3 of DAN DAN as well?
Trans rights, now!

Masako-kun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masako-kun » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Nothing will top ZARD's rendition. The chorus is sublime!

As for Dan Dan, the arrangement was alright and the lyrics were good. If you could have the original music with those lyrics, it should sound great! I might have to try that. :3

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:15 pm

One thing you gotta remember is the guy who originally directed DBZ no longer works at Funimation...nor does the mixing engineer that was his minion.

So yeah I would expect decisions to change a bit ^^
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Masako-kun wrote:Nothing will top ZARD's rendition. The chorus is sublime!

Agreed, ZARD is great.
Trans rights, now!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 pm

Masako-kun wrote:As for Dan Dan, the arrangement was alright and the lyrics were good. If you could have the original music with those lyrics, it should sound great! I might have to try that. :3
That would be awesome. You should do that. I wish it could be the full song though. Maybe you could write lyrics to the rest of the song?

Edit: I'm adding lyrics... again. :lol: I suddenly felt like writing my own lyrics to continue (at least part way) the English version of the song. It's based off of Julian's translation, and I wrote it to fit with the English version, so it matches how Vic sings the similar part of the song. Someone still needs to write that last part, though.

Lyrics:
No matter what I’ll always love you; even when you’re mad, even when you are blue
Is it okay that we live our lives rushing by?
As for me, I’m tossed and lost in the seaside blue
Because of the daily things that you do
You remember, but does he think of you too?

I have something, I want, to tell, you but I cannot seem to, find the time or the chance
Noises in the busy street, are all stopping me, but still, I will carry on

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:01 am

SonEric84 wrote:
Masako-kun wrote:Nothing will top ZARD's rendition. The chorus is sublime!

Agreed, ZARD is great.
I agree too.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm

I just wanted to say that I do believe, if I'm not mistaken, that both "Hitori Janai" AND "Hitori Jyanai" are correct. ;p

However, the first one is more accepted.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:26 pm

Is there a high quality rip of Dan Dan floating around out there?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Big Momma wrote:
I just wanted to say that I do believe, if I'm not mistaken, that both "Hitori Janai" AND "Hitori Jyanai" are correct. ;p

It's not just that the style of romanization they use is weird, it's also because they write it all in one word. I just find it strange that they used Hitorijyanai instead of Hitori ja Nai or Hitori Janai. It reminds me of how Viz used Minnano Kimochi instead of Minna no Kimochi.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Big Momma wrote:

It's not just that the style of romanization they use is weird, it's also because they write it all in one word. I just find it strange that they used Hitorijyanai instead of Hitori ja Nai or Hitori Janai. It reminds me of how Viz used Minnano Kimochi instead of Minna no Kimochi.
Oh, I see.

Also, our very own Tsukento made a version of the English DAN DAN(or should we call it "BIT BY BIT"?) with the Japanese Karaoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMsYEbaCqXs&fmt=6

Very nice, If I must say. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm

QUESTION!!!

Uh, why is Vic Mignogna singing Dan Dan??? Was Vic Mignogna even involved with GT?

I mean I think this is a really good dub of Dan Dan and I know that Vic is a singer on the side, but still... Vic Mignogna?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:QUESTION!!!

Uh, why is Vic Mignogna singing Dan Dan??? Was Vic Mignogna even involved with GT?

I mean I think this is a really good dub of Dan Dan and I know that Vic is a singer on the side, but still... Vic Mignogna?
AH, HIS POOR VOCAL CHORDS! :P

So what if he didn't do any voices in GT? He can sing DAN DAN if he wants, dammit! :P

Most incidentally, I've been viewing quite a few of Vic's convenion appearances on the U-Tub, and thinking "He seems like a pretty cool guy. I wouldn't mind meeting him." And, a short while later... I discover he's gonna be at Comic-Con London. Holy shit. :shock:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.