What's your BIGGEST mess-up regarding Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

What's your BIGGEST mess-up regarding Dragonball?

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 pm

What's your biggest screw-up? (Names, Sagas, Covers, etc;) Mine goes as follows:

THIS is the cover box for "Fusion - Hope Returns"

By this time I had NOT seen the parts where Son Gohan returns to Earth.
So all I know is that Goku and Gohan are on Supreme Kai's (Oh god, I'm so sorry.) Planet. I actually thought, the person that was being choked (?) was Goku. Because on Z-Store I saw a a VERY tiny picture of it, so I had NO idea.

So, how about you?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Oh wow this is going to be a fun topic to read.

I would have to say as a whole my biggest screw up was once believing
the whole "DBZ IS 4 ADULTS AND IS NOT KID STUFFZ!" ordeal

Also I mispronounced a shit ton of names in my life time. The biggest two were calling Go-Jee-Ta "Go-Gee-Ta" and Kuririn "Kurrin" for reasons I'm still not sure of.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 pm

When I first heard about the Cell saga from a friend, before seeing it, for some reason I imagined the Cell games taking place indoors, like a large, indoor arena. I have no idea why.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 pm

I would have to say as a whole my biggest screw up was once believing
the whole "DBZ IS 4 ADULTS AND IS NOT KID STUFFZ!" ordeal
Are you trying to say it isn't?

:lol:

Seriously, this was my biggest sin. Very sad.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 pm

When I was very young. I think kindergarten, I must have been 5. I remember my grandma would turn on the TV before church and there was Dragon Ball Z. It must have been the Saiyan saga cause I remember complaining about it being boring and all they ever do is stand around in a desert and talk. :cry:

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:59 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:calling Go-Jee-Ta "Go-Gee-Ta"
There a difference in pronunciation there?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Rocketman wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:calling Go-Jee-Ta "Go-Gee-Ta"
There a difference in pronunciation there?
Let's try again then :lol:

I pronounced the "ge" in Gogeta as in karate Gi. When to my knowledge it's supposed to be pronounced like the "ge" in Vegeta (surprise, surprise).
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Years ago, a friend and I came across an "Anime" store in the mall. (It was literally just called 'Anime Store') It's the sort of place that sold import Japanese stuff, but mostly filled with bootleg movies and toys.

One toy we came across was the 'Great Saiyaman'. At the time, we'd only seen up to the Freeza fight on Cartoon Network. My friend was a bit older than I am and introduced me to Dragonball, so I pretty much took his word on anything that had to do with the series.

When I asked who the Great Saiyaman was, he started telling about the amazing series 'Dragonball GT' which actually came after 'Z' in Japan. The basis for this story, he explained, was that when it was wished for all the people that Freeza killed to come back to life, it brought back the planet will all the Saiyans.

Wow, I thought! That makes sense, as far as I know!

The Great Saiyaman, he continued, was the leader of the Saiyans and their great super hero who wanted to conquer the Earth, and had a conflict of interest with Vegeta over who'd rule the Saiyans.

I believed this for a very, very long time...

midoco13

Post by midoco13 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 pm

My biggest screw up regarding dragonball is when I first read dragonball manga, I assumed that whatever VIZ media put in the manga in terms of names, was right.
Last edited by midoco13 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 pm

midoco13 wrote:Back on topic, the biggest screw ups of Dragonball are
1. Dragonball GT and then dubbing it the way they did.
2. Lord slug and Bio Broly
Wrong topic. This is personal mistakes - like, a misinterpretation of the series you made or something.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:33 am

midoco13 wrote:Back on topic, the biggest screw ups of Dragonball are
1. Dragonball GT and then dubbing it the way they did.
2. Lord slug and Bio Broly
Bio Broly was awesome.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:11 am

-The first episode I ever saw was "Bulma meets the crab"
-I thought Super Saiyan Goku was Nail.
-I thought Vegetto was Vegeta and Bulma's son.
-I thought Supreme Kai could see into the future and allowed the events of the Buu arc to play out because they were supposed to.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:17 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:When I asked who the Great Saiyaman was, he started telling about the amazing series 'Dragonball GT' which actually came after 'Z' in Japan. The basis for this story, he explained, was that when it was wished for all the people that Freeza killed to come back to life, it brought back the planet will all the Saiyans.

The Great Saiyaman, he continued, was the leader of the Saiyans and their great super hero who wanted to conquer the Earth, and had a conflict of interest with Vegeta over who'd rule the Saiyans.
I love ill informed playground rumors. Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon were big playground rumor fodder.

Pikablu, anyone!? :wink:

Kienzan88gt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kienzan88gt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 am

When I was about 10-11 years old, I started drawing a lot of fan art from Dragon Ball Z, and one time I was drawing a family portrait of Vegeta and Goku's side. I thought Android 18 was Bra...I still can't figure out why I thought that :P.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 am

I didn't really do much screwing up with Dragonball that I can remember, but I do happen to remember that when I was searching for Dragonball Z sites after watching my first episode of the show (where Goku fights Reacoome), I came across a site that, in it's intro paragraph on the main page, referenced the Kamehameha.

I thought to myself, "What's a Came Hame Ha?" (pronounced Kay-m, Hay-m, Ha)

Luckily I never asked anyone what it was before seeing Goku do it a several episodes later (this was before Season 3, so it would do the episodic breakdown of Tree of Might, then start back over after the episode I saw).

No, wait!

At one point, before getting to the Namek portion of the show (but having already seen Gohan, Krillin, Vegeta, and Goku fighting the Ginyu Force) I had assumed and told someone that the story was about how these martial artists keep having to fight alien invaders. First, Raditz. Then, Vegeta and Nappa (Nappa died and Vegeta became good). And, finally, the Ginyu Force came to Earth, too, after Vegeta betrayed them.

At the time, having only seen the Goku vs. Reacoome episode then the series up through when Goku shows up and kicks Nappa's ass, I didn't know that they weren't fighting on Earth when going up against the Ginyu Force. Also, I think I tuned into the Reacoome vs. Goku episode after he had left the space ship, so I never got to see it and see that he had just arrived on some other planet.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 am

*Not* picking up the 1997 Final Bout when in the bargain bin at EB Games only to have it shoot up to $200+ in 1999-2000. :x

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 am

The first time I downloaded the terrible Anime-Labs fansubs. I went into school the next day after watching half of the Vegetto vs. Buu episode and told my friend how "GOKOW AND VEGETA FUSE".

;_; I was 10 years old, saw close to no Dragon Ball Z, and didn't know Gokou was just Goku.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:47 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
MisterFlashdude wrote:When I asked who the Great Saiyaman was, he started telling about the amazing series 'Dragonball GT' which actually came after 'Z' in Japan. The basis for this story, he explained, was that when it was wished for all the people that Freeza killed to come back to life, it brought back the planet will all the Saiyans.

I love ill informed playground rumors. Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon were big playground rumor fodder.

Pikablu, anyone!? :wink:

I don't know why, but "Pikablu" sounds familiar?
OH! Was that the rumor about (*Can't think of the spelling*) Maril? Marel? That round blue mouse-type pkmn?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 am

I used to call Kuririn 'Kukurin'....
Castor Troy wrote:*Not* picking up the 1997 Final Bout when in the bargain bin at EB Games only to have it shoot up to $200+ in 1999-2000. :x
Why would you want it?
:shock:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:56 am

jda95 wrote:I used to call Kuririn 'Kukurin'....
Castor Troy wrote:*Not* picking up the 1997 Final Bout when in the bargain bin at EB Games only to have it shoot up to $200+ in 1999-2000. :x
Why would you want it?
:shock:
To sell it since it was going for $200 shortly after he found it for like $5.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co