"Borrowed Attacks" Tidbit

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:37 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:While I'm here, Goku first used the Taiyo-Ken in the 23rd Budokai against the four Tenshinhans, not against Vegeta. ;)
Nice catch! I totally forgot about it!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:58 pm

There’s no source for the ‘hame’ part of “Kamehameha” meaning ‘destruction’. The idea presumably comes from the word 破滅/hametsu, “destruction”, but using ‘hame’ as a shortened form of that doesn’t really make sense since the ‘metsu’ part is written with a single character. According to Toriyama, he simply took the name from his wife’s suggestion for an attack name to go along with “Kame-sennin”, so there’s probably not any meaning for the whole name.

I’m wondering how correct it is to describe Goku in his first fight against Majin Buu as “newly-SSJ3”, since it wasn’t the first time he reached that form, just the first time we ever saw.
Kame-Sen'nin successfully performs the attack, but unfortunately breaks the jar in the process.
Kame-sennin actually only misses the jar, which remains unharmed. You’re probably thinking of how Tenshinhan broke the jar he trained with.

According to Tenshinhan, Cell’s variation of the Shishin no Ken doesn’t lower his power and speed into fourths.
The Masenko is only used once in the manga (two if you count the thing Piccolo does against Freeza), so I’d say “and used slightly more in the TV series than in the manga” is an extreme understatement.

The technique of Gotenks that Buu uses to trap Gohan is actually the “Renzoku Super Doughnuts”. “Galactic Doughnut” is the single ‘doughnut’ version. Daizenshuu 7’s special attack index lists him as using this technique.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:07 pm

You didn’t mention how Goku copied Jacky Chun’s Zanzouken after seeing it once.

Borrowed attacks from GT:

Pan uses the Kamehameha, and she, Goku, and Trunks use a three-person Kamehameha to defeat Rild.

Goku tries to use the suicide attack which Vegeta used against Buu (his “Last, Final Attack”).

Uub uses Buu’s Transfiguration Beam after merging with him.

Baby uses some of Vegeta’s attacks while he’s inside his body, such as the Big Bang Attack and Gyarikku-Ho.

Qi Xing Long uses the Kamehameha after absorbing Pan.

Yi Xing Long uses many of the other evil dragons’ techniques after absorbing the other dragonballs: San Xing Long’s Freeze Beam, Liu Xing Long’s Reppuu Shinkuu-Zan and Senpuu Kaiten-Jin, Si Xing Long’s extremely high body temperature (if that counts as a technique), Wu Xing Long’s Dragon Thunder and Electric Slime, and Qi Xing Long’s nameless homing blast from the ground attack.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 pm

What about Master Roshi's "After Image"?

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:23 pm

His wasn't borrowed. Unless you meant Goku copying his, though I already mentioned that.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 pm

I am unfamiliar with the original names. 8)

Roshi never said he created it. At least not in the dub.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:28 pm

There's only a pretty small number of techniques whose creator is actually known for sure, so going by that logic you'd have to list most techniques as potentially borrowed.

Although that does tangently make me wonder if Fusion should be counted as a borrowed technique, since Goku learned it from the people of Planet Metamora.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:53 pm

What about Absorption? It probably dosn't "originate" from anyone, but mutltiple characters still use it, like Cell, Buu, and the One-Star Dragon.

Also, Namekian Regeneration, which Cell copied from Piccolo due to being made of his cells. Or you could just put Regeneration as a whole, and slap Buu on it.

This most likely doesn't count as an attack, but I'll mention it anyway. Buu's yelling to rip open the Room of Space and Time is used by Gotenks and Piccolo.

Also, in Legacy of Goku II, Dr. Gero and No. 19 could absorb energy attacks. I forget if that's in the original.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:55 pm

B wrote:Also, in Legacy of Goku II, Dr. Gero and No. 19 could absorb energy attacks. I forget if that's in the original.
It is in the original, and is only unique to them. It wasn't really borrowed by #19, more like given, since he didn't have a choice as to having it or not.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:- Kaio-shin uses a sort-of Shunkan-Ido-like technique after he merges with Kibito, so could that go under the "Variations" part?
Good point. Thinking about also tossing in Chibi Buu's, as well.
Kibito was seen using that form of teleportation prior to merging with Kaioshin, and its called "Kai-Kai" (he says the name when he teleports Gohan to the Kaioshin Realm). The difference between it and Goku's Shunkan-ido is that you teleport directly to a place, rather than having to lock onto someone's ki. This is probably the form of teleportation that Kid Buu learned, since he never saw Goku use Shunkan-ido.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't a group kamehameha used in movie 3 against the tree? Or are they just using their own signaturea ttacks? It's been quite awhile since I watched the movie...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:18 pm

bkev wrote:Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't a group kamehameha used in movie 3 against the tree? Or are they just using their own signaturea ttacks? It's been quite awhile since I watched the movie...
Chaozu uses a Dodonpa, Tenshinhan uses a Kikoho and Goku, Kuririn and Yamcha all use a Kamehameha.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm

B wrote:This most likely doesn't count as an attack, but I'll mention it anyway. Buu's yelling to rip open the Room of Space and Time is used by Gotenks and Piccolo.
Do you mean Kiai?

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 pm

jda95 wrote:Do you mean Kiai?
Daizenshuu 7 calls it "Opening a Hole in the Dimensions", but it is a variation on a kiai yell.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Not sure if it has been mentioned already because I just skimmed most of these posts, but under Variations ("Not-Quite-Borrowed") - Cell - Genki Dama? you have a picture of Gotenks from the new special.

Oh and pretty pictures, by the way. Are some of them from the Dragon Box singles?

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm guessing it is just a placeholder image.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Yes, it's just a place holder. VegettoEX said that he planned on getting a screenshot of Cell doing the attack from the Budokai game itself.

And I'm sure some of the shots are from the Dragon Box singles (I know he has the singles for the Raditz episodes), and I'm sure the rest are from FUNi's releases.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 am

VegettoEX wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:While I'm here, Goku first used the Taiyo-Ken in the 23rd Budokai against the four Tenshinhans, not against Vegeta. ;)
Nice catch! I totally forgot about it!
Interesting that I own the whole story arc that this is a part of. The thing is that while it's the first time we see him use it, it's significgant for other reasons. He first used it against Tenshinhan and that is the only time it was used in the Dragonball series. In DBZ he may have used it against Vejita, but that is....merely a repeat of a better time when he used it.

I am happy to own the Funimation version even though it's not the Dragonbox version. I would like to own all of the seasons, but a lack of liquid spending money is a real problem for me. Need to eat more than I need Dragonball. Good to have though if I could in the near future. the pics in your new section reminded me of that.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:43 am

*Vegeta uses the Kamehameha in Shin Budoukai if video games count.
*Buu uses the Shunkan Idou
*The Janken Punch is mentioned to have been invented by grandpa Gohan.
*I'm not QUITE sure, but I think it might've been said that Karin invented the Zanzouken, and Kame Sennin learned it from him.
*And of course, the Kaiouken and Genki Dama are both passed down to Goku from Kaiou.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:45 am

Adamant wrote:*I'm not QUITE sure, but I think it might've been said that Karin invented the Zanzouken, and Kame Sennin learned it from him.
Nah, it doesn't say that.