"Borrowed Attacks" Tidbit

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am

Herms wrote:
Adamant wrote:*I'm not QUITE sure, but I think it might've been said that Karin invented the Zanzouken, and Kame Sennin learned it from him.
Nah, it doesn't say that.
It might be a dub thing, I watched those episodes last week and he said he was familiar with the technique.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:48 am

The Time Traveller wrote:It might be a dub thing, I watched those episodes last week and he said he was familiar with the technique.
That's different than inventing it though. Incidentally, Karin does use the Zanzouken in Advance Adventures.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:20 am

I've never watched any dub of any episode Karin has ever appeared in, so that's definitly not where I have it from.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am

I have no idea if this could make it into the section because I don't know if it's ever stated to be related in any way (in the manga, anime or Daizenshuu), but I was thinking about Cell's creaton of the Cell jrs and wether or not this could be the result of him having Piccolo's cells.
I mean, you could look at them as sort of being little clones of himself that he releases from his body and Piccolo himself is the result of that same process (Daimao releasing Piccolo from his body as essentially a clone of himself) so I would assume that Piccolo also has the same ability, wich would give Cell the ability since he has Piccolo's cells.

I probably could have worded that a little better :P .
Like I said, I don't know if there's any kind of confirmation of the two abilities being related to each other, but I thought it was interesting and figured I'd throw it out there as a possibility.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 am

TriforceCaptre wrote:I have no idea if this could make it into the section because I don't know if it's ever stated to be related in any way (in the manga, anime or Daizenshuu), but I was thinking about Cell's creaton of the Cell jrs and wether or not this could be the result of him having Piccolo's cells.
Daizenshuu 7 does make that connection ("This special ability could be said to be a developed version the Namekian Piccolo’s ability to create offspring").

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:05 am

I like the Universally-borrowed techniques section. I'd probably personally put it under "Variations", since it seems like it's holding off the "meat" of the section more than a simple introduction would, but I like it.

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 am

Herms wrote:
TriforceCaptre wrote:I have no idea if this could make it into the section because I don't know if it's ever stated to be related in any way (in the manga, anime or Daizenshuu), but I was thinking about Cell's creaton of the Cell jrs and wether or not this could be the result of him having Piccolo's cells.
Daizenshuu 7 does make that connection ("This special ability could be said to be a developed version the Namekian Piccolo’s ability to create offspring").
I see, well then. Mr. EX, I guess you have another technique to add 8) .
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:43 am

I don't know if natural abilities like that really count as "borrowed techniques". Does the fact that Cell uses Piccolo's regeneration abilities count too?

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 am

Herms wrote:I don't know if natural abilities like that really count as "borrowed techniques". Does the fact that Cell uses Piccolo's regeneration abilities count too?
...True. Oh well, I tried :P .

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:54 am

Herms wrote:I don't know if natural abilities like that really count as "borrowed techniques". Does the fact that Cell uses Piccolo's regeneration abilities count too?
Isn't the Kamehameha, to Cell, a "natural technique"?

And considering that Cell is the only one that CAN borrow "Natural Techniques", isn't it worth noting?

EDIT: I also like how the section now claims that Majin Buu trapped Gohan using the Fusion Dance.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:41 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I like the Universally-borrowed techniques section. I'd probably personally put it under "Variations", since it seems like it's holding off the "meat" of the section more than a simple introduction would, but I like it.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not entirely sure where to toss it, yet. Since it's the most-recent section I've added it's at the top, but it may get thrown down as the very last one. What do you think?
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:EDIT: I also like how the section now claims that Majin Buu trapped Gohan using the Fusion Dance.
Oh hush, it's still being worked on :P. I suppose that doesn't change its hilarity, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:04 pm

I could be completely wrong with this, but I thought the Cell Jr.s using all the signature attacks of the other fighters was an anime only thing. The same goes for Cell using the Kienzan during the Cell Games. In general isn't it pretty unclear as to whose cells Cell has? If it weren't for him using the Taiyoken, I wouldn't have thought that he even had any human fighters' cells. Then again, since Goku picked up the technique, maybe that's where Cell got it from.

As a whole, though, it's a pretty spiffy tidbit section. I always wanted you guys to do a section like this after it was briefly discussed in some podcast episodes. Your choice of placeholder image is pretty um... "interesting," too :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:09 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:I could be completely wrong with this, but I thought the Cell Jr.s using all the signature attacks of the other fighters was an anime only thing. The same goes for Cell using the Kienzan during the Cell Games.
That's right. Well, I'm not sure if the Cell Juniors don't use any borrowed attacks in the manga, but I do know that the anime has them using a bunch that the manga doesn't, at least.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:41 pm

I haven't gotten around to flipping through the Cell Jr. stuffage in the kanzenban to see what's anime-only, yet :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm thinking it might very well be that they don't use anyone's special attacks in the manga, since I can't remember any, but I'm not 100% sure.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Herms wrote:I'm thinking it might very well be that they don't use anyone's special attacks in the manga, since I can't remember any, but I'm not 100% sure.
You're 100% right. In the manga they only last a few pages and don't use any special techniques at all before Gohan slaughters them.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 pm

In fact, doesn't Cell in the manga only have the cells of a very small number of characters? I seem to remember Cell having the attacks of the human characters and villains being something that was a huge discrepancy between the manga and anime versions. I think manga Cell only had the cells of....Piccolo, Vegeta, and Goku, right? And maybe some fourth guy?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:In fact, doesn't Cell in the manga only have the cells of a very small number of characters? I seem to remember Cell having the attacks of the human characters and villains being something that was a huge discrepancy between the manga and anime versions. I think manga Cell only had the cells of....Piccolo, Vegeta, and Goku, right? And maybe some fourth guy?
King Cold and Freeza. Maybe Nappa, I don't remember. But I think that's about it.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:55 am

And various animals, according to that android chart title page.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:36 am

Herms wrote:And various animals, according to that android chart title page.
Oh yeah, that's right. That might explain the cicada shape.

Edit: Also it only mentions Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza and King Cold, so no Nappa either.