"Dear Fanboys..."

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Eh?

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:09 am

I don't know if I've got one to boldface yet, but I like the ones I see so far.

Really, the only thing that ever bothered me at all was when someone would try to nitpick and explain every little thing in the series that wasn't outwardly explained . . . you know, those things that were left to our imaginations? Sometimes a person would just change it completely with an outlandish statement to suit some weird purpose, or a dying need for answers that were never given. Like . . .

"Goku first reached Super Saiya-jin 2 during the second Cooler movie, but kept it to himself after that, which explains why Gohan is the only one we see reach it 'for the first time' in the series, and how Goku knew about Gohan's latent powers before it happened."

So maybe, uh . . . Not everything in the Dragonball universe can be explained.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:47 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Really, the only thing that ever bothered me at all was when someone would try to nitpick and explain every little thing in the series that wasn't outwardly explained . . . you know, those things that were left to our imaginations? Sometimes a person would just change it completely with an outlandish statement to suit some weird purpose, or a dying need for answers that were never given. Like . . .
Well explaining things are hit or miss, if you don't care to know, well then you're entitled not to know, but if you want to know one thing that may tie into the next thing someones going to explain... sometimes people just praddle. Heh.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:"Goku first reached Super Saiya-jin 2 during the second Cooler movie, but kept it to himself after that, which explains why Gohan is the only one we see reach it 'for the first time' in the series, and how Goku knew about Gohan's latent powers before it happened."
Well, one thing here- movies aren't cannon for the series, so Gohan was the first. And two, I don't think Goku was SSJ2 during the first, or second Cooler movies.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:So maybe, uh . . . Not everything in the Dragonball universe can be explained.
That is also very, very true. On multiple level's even.

Kuan-Yaa

Post by Kuan-Yaa » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:04 pm

I think these are not just limited to DB.

Respect other people's opinions.
Everyone thinks differently, and sooner or later, someone will post something that you will not agree with. Please try to consider where the other person is coming from. It is okay to argue (this is a discussion board afterall) but argue fairly. Point out what you do not disagree with and include your own thoughts on the matter. No name-calling or cursing.

Fanfics may be fun to write and read about, but do not consider them to be the same as the words of the author.
Remember that Toriyama-sensei is the writer of DB. Although you may be able to add more plot twists and hints of other plot devices, chances are, you aren't writing DB. Toriyama-sensei designed DB to flow in a way that only he can write it. Instead of bragging about how good your DB fanfics are, why not write the story only you can write?

A dedicated DB fan is not always the one who could afford the most merchandise and brag about it or the one who could spew on and on about their DB knowledge.
A dedicated DB fan is often the one who is inspired by DB to do something worthwhile with his or her life. For example, a person might be motivated to do better in school after seeing how these fantasy characters are willing to go above and beyond what people often accomplish. He or she might be thinking "maybe, just maybe I could do a little more."
Your mind is your own. Therefore, no matter how much control someone else seems to exert upon you, you retain knowledge and thoughts unknown to anyone but yourself.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:06 pm

Kuan-Yaa wrote:I think these are not just limited to DB.

Respect other people's opinions.
Everyone thinks differently, and sooner or later, someone will post something that you will not agree with. Please try to consider where the other person is coming from. It is okay to argue (this is a discussion board afterall) but argue fairly. Point out what you do not disagree with and include your own thoughts on the matter. No name-calling or cursing.

Fanfics may be fun to write and read about, but do not consider them to be the same as the words of the author.
Remember that Toriyama-sensei is the writer of DB. Although you may be able to add more plot twists and hints of other plot devices, chances are, you aren't writing DB. Toriyama-sensei designed DB to flow in a way that only he can write it. Instead of bragging about how good your DB fanfics are, why not write the story only you can write?

A dedicated DB fan is not always the one who could afford the most merchandise and brag about it or the one who could spew on and on about their DB knowledge.
A dedicated DB fan is often the one who is inspired by DB to do something worthwhile with his or her life. For example, a person might be motivated to do better in school after seeing how these fantasy characters are willing to go above and beyond what people often accomplish. He or she might be thinking "maybe, just maybe I could do a little more."
Welcome to the forum Kuan-Yaa
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:59 am

I think those are some of the best points that have been posted in this entire thread Kuan-Yaa.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:58 am

Kuan-Yaa wrote:No name-calling or cursing.
But I like to curse!! :o *pouts*

Alright, I'll concede to agree with Jersey, he makes a good point; of course personal opinion is usually faultered when it comes to DBZ, since a lot of people like to stretch, and tear borders to prove non-existant points...
But sure, respect all around! :)

Also... your avatar is a bit too large, Kuan. :shock:

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Re: ...

Post by Mattias » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Blastero wrote:How 'bout.

Stop whining about how horrible the Funi DVDs are.

Really. Just stop. You don't have the right to say this. You are not less of a fan because you watch Funi's dvds. Just accept it. Almost the entire series has been released in both dub and original format with fantastic subtitles and great quality. Aside from the Dragonboxes, these are the best you can get. If you want to go insane trying to find fansub tapes in Chinatown stores because you think its "more authentic", go ahead. Its your funeral.
I can add to this. It's quite amusing, yet annoying, to see purists constantly complain about how poorly the English localization of a Japanese show was handled and how much better the original version is. But what's even more amusing is that they couldn't simply just watch the original version and ignore the English version altogether since they feel that way. That would make too much sense.

Purists are never happy unless they're complaining, methinks. :shock:
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Mirai Trunks´s Nr. 1 fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mirai Trunks´s Nr. 1 fan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:30 pm

Here´s one:

Don´t whine about things just because other people do.

It´s also called being a wanna-be...
^I´m with stupid^

How to keep a blonde occupied, see below.
How to keep a blonde occupied, see above.

Ultimate Armor X

dunno if its already been said but....

Post by Ultimate Armor X » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:10 pm

I dunno if its been said but Janemba is a character, not a fanboy cult XD

Thats kinda stupid, but I've heard so many people say "JANEMBA IS the PWNINATION TO the MAXIMUN!" when they havent seen the movie. It gets annoying.

Supa Burori

Post by Supa Burori » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:01 pm

Knowledge of DB doesn't make you better than anyone Just because a new fan doesn't know the japapnese translations of the characters names, or doesn't know anything about the manga doesn't make you better than that person. If all someone knows is the Funimation Dub of DB then help them out instead of getting all uptight about it. Don't get condesending towards another person because of their lack of knowledge of mispronuntiation of a word.

So you have a huge DB collection? Great, keep it to yourself No one wants to hear you flaunt about all of your figures, video games, mangas, fansubs or any other DB merchandise. If someone wants to know, they'll ask you. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

^^I've experianced a lot of this on now dead DB fan sites and boards. Hardcore members used to jump on us newer members for not knowing eveything about DB. All they did was kill the desire to be on that particular board. Thankfully, DaizenshuuEX is not like any of those sites. :)
Part of the Star Wars Revolution Staff Team.

http://sw-rev.net/forums/index.php

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Fri May 19, 2006 8:46 pm

I feel bad about having to mention this, and I feel that it is largely unnecessary but I will say it anyway.
The way you act on other forums as a flamboyant DB fan will give not only you, but all fans a reputation good or bad. I have been to websites' message boards where a few bad apples came and happened to be DBZ fans. Now they look at all DBZ fans with suspicion and look down at them. I just hope that we and everyone here can help the reputations of our fellow fans on the other sites we visit. It's like you are a visitor in another country or another person's home. You want to leave that person or the people of the country with a good impression of yourself and your affiliations.
8) Gracias. 8)
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 12:13 pm

So you put your Online name as SSJ10 Goku eh?
Doing so doesn't make you seem cooler, a greater fan, or seem like the smartest of all the Dragon Ball newbies. We're all in the same boat and we're all fans of a fantastic series, showing off will get your ass overboard.

"I've seen all of Dragon Ball AF"

No you haven't, and even if newbies believe you, Anime and Dragon Ball fans know you haven't.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Wed May 16, 2007 1:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:http://www.daizex.com/interaction/dear_fanboys/

If somewhere someone takes offense to just one thing in there, then I've done my job correctly.
A FAN-tastic list! :)

I wonder, why isn't this linked to under the "interaction" section on the main page? I think if you link that Dear Fanboys page on the front it may reduce the number of headaches that are caused when people on the message board (or elsewhere) attempt to bring up the things the Dear Fanboys section mentions.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri May 18, 2007 11:01 am

I'm pretty sure it was linked from the main page at one point, but was removed for some reason... Meh?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:47 am

This can be just shown as venting from trying to socialize on FUNi's forums, but I feel it needs to be said.

Broly is NOT a god. Get over it.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:11 pm

There Never was nor will be a Dragonball AF!!

still to this day I see videos on youtube or whatever like...look the DBAF opening SEE SEE its real...and they are movie clips to the earlier DB games...
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Detective X wrote:You will not bring back the Dragonball anime, no matter how hard you try.
I think this new less-fillerific version with occasional redrawings disproves that XD
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]