Covers of Japanese Tankoubon Being Renewed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Covers of Japanese Tankoubon Being Renewed

Post by kei17 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 pm

The covers of Japanese tankoubon release will be partly renewed.
Drawing on the spines will also be changed (no more 2 Yajirobe's!). They're coming in the beginning of May.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:04 pm

kei17, have the standards for what is acceptable in manga these days changed since the 80's like they have for anime? I'm just curious if we'll be seeing any Kai-style censoring issues...

Anyway, thank you very much for letting us know this!! It's a shame the changes to the covers are so minor though; I would have liked to see some new artwork!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Bah, and I just picked up volumes 18-20 to use to compare Kai with. Well, I kind of need 18 for this Sunday, but the other two I could have bought in May. Blast it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:kei17, have the standards for what is acceptable in manga these days changed since the 80's like they have for anime? I'm just curious if we'll be seeing any Kai-style censoring issues...
No, they've not changed unlike anime. Only TV channels have got too sensitive about viewers' complaints against brutal scenes. I believe that Shueisha won't do such silly censoring.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:24 pm

The covers of Japanese tankoubon release will be partly renewed.
I think those covers are... ugly. :shock: I like the classic look better. Eh, maybe it's just me. I do like the spine image though, having all the characters around the letters that spell out "DragonBall".

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Frankly, I'm surprised they even still sell tankoubon what with the kanzenban and all. Though they are cheaper and more compact, so I guess that's their appeal. But with these new printings, I wonder if they'll correct some of the mistakes that were fixed in the kanzenban, like the date of the Cell Games?

I also wonder if they'll replace the second Yajirobe with some other character? And which Yajirobe will they remove? (Well, I suppose the second one)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Well, it looks like the spine image is going to be completely re-done so, no worries about which one is gonna get cut. :D

Looks like Oolong is going to be on the spine image of Vol.1...

Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 pm

kei17 wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:kei17, have the standards for what is acceptable in manga these days changed since the 80's like they have for anime? I'm just curious if we'll be seeing any Kai-style censoring issues...
No, they've not changed unlike anime. Only TV channels have got too sensitive about viewers' complaints against brutal scenes. I believe that Shueisha won't do such silly censoring.
In Weekly Shounen Jump, there is a manga called "Beelzebub". One of the main characters is a naked baby with nothing to cover his danglers... not even a diaper... Also you got "Inamori Dash". a gag parody manga starring a kid with no pants that nobody seems to have a problem with it.

B2T... I think "New cover art" is a lame excuse to re-release the manga when there is already a re-release in the form that we know as "Kanzenban" that includes new cover arts, better quality paper, colors and less volumes than the Tankuobon which is not even out of print.

It feels just like Viz with their multiple re-releases. Slap a new cover, use a different name for the format, and everyone will wolf it down... unless there are smart people who are happy enough with the original releases and saving their money for somthing better.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Herms wrote:But with these new printings, I wonder if they'll correct some of the mistakes that were fixed in the kanzenban, like the date of the Cell Games?
There are precedents of correction of mistakes on Jump comics that had not been corrected for long time like famous 「何をするだァーッ」 in Jojo's bizzarre adventure, so there is a possibility that they will do.
Last edited by kei17 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm

The gimongous white space inbetween the D and B bugs me a little, aesthetically, but I'm excited about the new spine art. :3 (I can also tell who's who in some of that silhouette XD )

About the tankoubon/kanzenban thing; my local Kinokuniya stopped selling the kanzenban quite a while ago and only sells the tankoubon. I'm assuming the kanzenban were more "limited edition"?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well, it looks like the spine image is going to be completely re-done so, no worries about which one is gonna get cut. :D

Looks like Oolong is going to be on the spine image of Vol.1...

Oh, that's neat (but that means we're going to have to update our spine image guide on Kanzentai...). I think I can make out Bulma as the character after Oolong, and it looks like Buu and Mister Satan at the end.
Chuquita wrote:About the tankoubon/kanzenban thing; my local Kinokuniya stopped selling the kanzenban quite a while ago and only sells the tankoubon. I'm assuming the kanzenban were more "limited edition"?
Nah, the Kanzenban are still all over the place, in Tokyo at least. Just about every bookstore I've gone to here has had both the DB tankoubon and kanzenban.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 pm

Nah, the Kanzenban are still all over the place, in Tokyo at least. Just about every bookstore I've gone to here has had both the DB tankoubon and kanzenban.
Oh, I didn't think the Kanzenban were so common. When I go to Kinokuniya (here in NY) they always just have the tankoubon. Thought maybe it was a limited release or something. Odd. Oh well... ::shrugs::
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Eh... Don't really see the point in editing the name around, but okay. The star with the volume number is pretty neat, though. And it looks like Vegeta won't be getting a spine debut until the Buu arc, if I'm looking at it right.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Is it just me, or do some of those shadows look like pokemon?(pokemen?)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:41 pm

Well Viz has another excuse as well to release it all over again.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Covers of Japanese Tankoubon Being Renewed

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:54 pm

kei17 wrote:The covers of Japanese tankoubon release will be partly renewed.
Drawing on the spines will also be changed (no more 2 Yajirobe's!). They're coming in the beginning of May.
What's the use when we got the Kanzenban :/...?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm

It took me a minute to realize what had been changed. I was looking at the picture on the front, not the actual volume cover itself.

I don't really care for the new cover. Heck, I don't really care for the Tankobon since the Kanzenban is out there.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm

They look pretty good! But the Kanzenban are still cooler. 8)

And something about censorship, in One Piece, Whitebeards Manji flag was changed in the anime to a regular cross, and a few years later, Oda was told that he had to change it in the manga too.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Did anyone else notice that that image of Goku in the background of the ad is from the cover of Kanzenban 1? Kind of ironic, huh?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:01 pm

*breathes sigh of relief*

Having just ordered the first five Kanzenban, I totally just freaked out thinking they were re-doing them with new artwork.

I will agree with the sentiment that the new lettering looks crappy, I am looking forward to the complete spine image however.