Overall Feelings on Kai Music?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:02 pm

It's a lot worst then Bruce Faulceners, not as good as Sabans, and doesn't (and nothing will) compare to the original DBZ score.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat May 09, 2009 5:25 pm

I would say the general consensus here is: Good but not great.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun May 10, 2009 1:21 am

Jurik wrote:I don't. New recap music is so... boring.
I edited your grammar. Please keep in mind that Mike doesn't like sloppy grammar. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention this. Gozar, since you asked us the question, shouldn't this thread be in an appropiate place? Post your question in the Question forum. It is that obvious when Mike set up that forum for eveybody who has a question. :wink:
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 am

Pretty boring in my opinion. It sort of just sits there. It's not as bad or unfitting as Bruce's score but it's fairly comparable to the Saban score.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun May 10, 2009 9:50 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Jurik wrote:I don't. New recap music is so... boring.
I edited your grammar. Please keep in mind that Mike doesn't like sloppy grammar. :)
I'm sure Mike can deal with such matters himself (y'know... when he's finished moving into that house o' his), so I wouldn't recommend going around calling people out on small problems with their grammar, it just makes one look like an asshat. There wasn't really anything abysmally wrong with his grammar anyway.
DragonBallKaiHD wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention this. Gozar, since you asked us the question, shouldn't this thread be in an appropiate place? Post your question in the Question forum. It is that obvious when Mike set up that forum for eveybody who has a question. :wink:
Uh... no.

... Oh, right, my opinion? A little too Star Wars rip-offy for my liking. I like the SW music, just not when it's copied and pasted in Kai.

I haven't watched past Episode 2, so this opinion may now be obsolete... just sayin'.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun May 10, 2009 10:20 am

I can't say I like it or not since the music is almost non-noticeable. I cannot watching Kai and being focus on the story and notice the music like in the original- which the music (darn good!) help narrate the story. In Kai it is just "in there".

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun May 10, 2009 4:11 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:It's a lot worst then Bruce Faulceners, not as good as Sabans, and doesn't (and nothing will) compare to the original DBZ score.
Uhhh... Dont you mean its a lot worse than Saban's? Bruce Faulconer is wayyyy better than Saban's. I mean have you listen to the score played when Goku was about to throw his Genki Dama to Buu? It was just so EPIC I'm glad Funimation hired Faulconers. GT sucked because there was no Faulconers to play the scores for.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun May 10, 2009 6:49 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
I mean have you listen to the score played when Goku was about to throw his Genki Dama to Buu? It was just so EPIC I'm glad Funimation hired Faulconers. GT sucked because there was no Faulconers to play the scores for.
There is more then one Bruce? :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 10, 2009 7:18 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
I mean have you listen to the score played when Goku was about to throw his Genki Dama to Buu? It was just so EPIC I'm glad Funimation hired Faulconers. GT sucked because there was no Faulconers to play the scores for.
There is more then one Bruce? :lol:
Hmm... cRookie and Mike Smith. Yeah.

Sorry, had to bring that up.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun May 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Rory wrote:Yes, because the people who like Kai are always polite, well mannered folk, who won't shit on the original. Of course, and all the fans of the original series ALL TALK LIKE THIS AND SCREAM AND RANT ABOUT HOW THEY HATE KAAAAI!!.
Wrong thread for this kind of bitching really, and it's always irritating to see somebody split people into black and white groups, with no middle ground.

As for being on topic, Kai's music is ok, I like a lot of the new music, but there isn't enough good music to keep me interested, I'd rather just listen to Kikuchi's original music.
That wasn't the point of My post, it was that "KAI HATERS ARE LOUDER AND IN THE MAJORITY" and Those of us who like Kai are in the Minority, so it's represented with a smaller font and no caps

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:35 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri May 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Well to sum it up, it's not that great.

If I were to say the original Japanese BGM kicks ass then Kai's BGM missed the bum completely, the music sounds a lot more dull. I would have liked remixed versions of the original tracks, they did it for me, but Kai's music gives me reminders of the dub and that ain't a good thing. There are some pieces I liked but they haven't even used that many, and they have repeated a few of the tracks and they don't sound too good. I do think that the rest of the BGM to come will be better, they can't use the same for the rest of the series, but I still think they should have used the original score with updated versions of the music.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri May 15, 2009 7:22 pm

I like some, but the original is superior.

I wish they could remix the old tracks...

I wonder what track they would use in the Kamehameha x4 kaioken vs Galick Gun sequence...i'd be pissed if they use any rock theme.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 pm

I really like the new music. It's nice to see the story with music that's new but still in the right tone for the story.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:15 am

To me, the new music is probably one of the main positive points about Kai, but then there's hardly a point that I don't like more in Kai than in the original Z. It's simple, I can't stand watching a Z episode, I can't stand missing a Kai episode.

About the music, if they keep up the good work like this, the music itself could be a reason to watch the whole show. I have most tracks from the original Z soundtrack, and I never listen to them (even when trying to improve them with audio programs, there's nothing much one can do to save them from their old, flat style). But the day they make a Kai soundtrack, that'll be a totally different story!
It's beautiful, dynamic, makes you smile or feel tension or feel sad... Total success with me!

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:04 am

Generic. That's how I'd describe it overall.

There's an occasional good piece sometimes, but there's nothing I really love. Even Bruce Faulconer's score had a few good songs, though...
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:42 pm

It does nothing for me....at all.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

shelzu

Dragon Soul?

Post by shelzu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 pm

hello everyone, i'm a new member. i was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on dragon soul. What i am asking is this; is dragon soul a group created by takayoshi tanimoto that performs dragon ball music, or just music in general, or is not a group at all? i know that it is a song, and the opening to dragon ball kai. any thoughts about this subject would be most helpful.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Soul?

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 pm

shelzu wrote:hello everyone, i'm a new member. i was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on dragon soul. What i am asking is this; is dragon soul a group created by takayoshi tanimoto that performs dragon ball music, or just music in general, or is not a group at all? i know that it is a song, and the opening to dragon ball kai. any thoughts about this subject would be most helpful.
It is not a group at all. It is merely the title of the first DragonBall Kai opening theme. Takayoshi Tanimoto is the vocalist in the song, yet Yumi Yoshimoto wrote the lyrics, and Takafumi Iwasaki and Seiichi Kyouda did instrumental half of the song, and it is all produced by Columbia Music Entertainment.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Soul?

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:59 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
shelzu wrote:hello everyone, i'm a new member. i was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on dragon soul. What i am asking is this; is dragon soul a group created by takayoshi tanimoto that performs dragon ball music, or just music in general, or is not a group at all? i know that it is a song, and the opening to dragon ball kai. any thoughts about this subject would be most helpful.
It is not a group at all. It is merely the title of the first DragonBall Kai opening theme. Takayoshi Tanimoto is the vocalist in the song, yet Yumi Yoshimoto wrote the lyrics, and Takafumi Iwasaki and Seiichi Kyouda did instrumental half of the song, and it is all produced by Columbia Music Entertainment.
Actually... it is technically a group. Although I understand where you're both coming from because it's all very confusing since the name of the opening itself is "Dragon Soul". In the episodes the theme songs are credited as being sung by "Tanimoto Takayoshi (Dragon Soul)", indicating he is part of a group. However, the only group members are Tanimoto Takayoshi and Iwasaki Takafumi. As far as I know, the group was formed solely for the purpose of writing/singing song for DragonBall Kai, but I could be wrong. On the CD single release of "Dragon Soul", the second track is specifically credited to the group Dragon Soul.

Here's an interview with Tanimoto Takayoshi (left) and Iwasaki Takafumi (right) from Columbia's website. I could be wrong, and Herms will probably have to correct me, but I believe they refer to themselves as Dragon Soul.

Finally, shelzu, make sure you use your shift keys a little more often. I see you got it once, but be sure to be a little more consistent.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::