Tenshinhan: Pure Human Or Of Alien Ancestry?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Tenshinhan: Pure Human Or Of Alien Ancestry?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 11, 2009 12:08 pm

It's a topic that has come numerous times: is Tenshinhan a pure human or of alien ancestry? Now, before I get shouted at, I want to say I do not believe that Tenshinhan is an alien. He is a human, that much is certain. Whether or not he has alien ancestry is up to speculation.

Now, no other human in the series has been shown to have 3 eyes. I've heard that Tenshinhan gained a third eye through meditation and becoming enlightened. Maybe there is some additional information in the Daizenshuu about Tenshinhan's third eye. However, as far as I know, nothing is stated in the manga about Tenshinhan having a third eye because of his supposed "alien ancestry". However, no-one at the tournament seems to be surprised or say anything about the fact that Tenshinhan has a third eye. Maybe Son Goku, his friends and the spectators didn't find it unusual for a martial artist to have a third eye, since they had seen martial artists like Giran, Goku transform into a giant ape and the Kamehameha destroy the moon. Still, I would've expected the spectators to say something. Possibly Toriyama just overlooked this?

Tenshinhan demonstrated the ability to sprout an extra set of arms against Son Goku at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. No other human in the series has demonstrated this ability. I got some information of tenshinhanpowerlevels.blogspot.com, which, admittedly, is basically a Tenshinhan fanboy site and not everything on there is totally reliable. However, they do make a mention of Kame-Senin's reaction to this, stating that his reaction is because he has never seen anything like that before in all his years. Although his reaction could be due to the fact that he was surprised a human had the ability to grow 2 additional arms, or a human could even learn how to do that. Although I think it's more likely that his reaction was due to him never witnessing that technique before, because if he had seen it before, I think he would've mentioned it.

Another unique technique that Tenshinhan has demonstrated he is capable of: the ability to create clones of himself, which he performs against Son Goku at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, another technique that other humans in the series have not been able to do. Kuririn creates clones of himself in the anime, but since that was a filler scene, it does not count. Although, if we go by that filler scene, it may be possible for a human to create clones of himself/herself. However, we see Piccolo being shocked at this. Same reasons as Kame-Senin's reaction to the Arm-Growing Technique: is this due to the fact that he has never seen anything like that before, or that he was surprised a human could do that?

Tenshinhan's character bio on "Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi" states:

"As a descendant of aliens, his body possesses unique characteristics which he demonstrates often in the Dragon Ball series, such as the ability to split himself into four separate fighters or sprout extra arms from his shoulders- unthinkable behavior as far as normal Earthlings are concerned."

Game information isn't completely reliable, however.

While Dragon Ball seems to imply that Tenshinhan is a pure human, he demonstrates techniques which other humans featured in the series have not displayed the ability to do. So he could be a pure human with strange abilities, or a human with alien ancestry. For me, the former seems more likely. There are other humans in Dragon Ball who have demonstrated other strange techniques. For all we know, there could be humans we haven't seen that have three eyes and those abilities.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon May 11, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:21 pm

We will never know. The thing is, if Tenshinhan was meant to be an alien, I'm sure that it would be revealed somewhere along the course of the series. If not, then I wouldn't even bother going into it. I mean you mentioned all the things he can do, but those are techniques. Very odd techniques, but techniques nevertheless. Think about all of the different kinds of people that exist in the Z universe. Krillin has no nose, Launch changes hair color and personalities when she sneezes, etc. The Dragon Ball universe is extremely odd. I just go by the idea that if it wasn't mentioned in the series, then it's not something that could be debated. Because you can spend a very long time debating something that just does not have any proof to it.

And do not trust the Budokai Tenkaichi game bio. I mean...those things aren't perfect. If you wanna know how imperfect they are, even on the official DVD release of GT Season 1 (I didn't even check the others, but I'm sure they have tons of mistakes in them), the booklet read that Trunks' technique...and mind you, the only thing listed there, was the Kamehameha. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's ever done a Kamehameha. So you can't really trust anything like that. In this case, you can't trust anything other than Akira Toriyama's word, not even what Toei has to say about it really.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 11, 2009 12:24 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:We will never know. The thing is, if Tenshinhan was meant to be an alien, I'm sure that it would be revealed somewhere along the course of the series. If not, then I wouldn't even bother going into it. I mean you mentioned all the things he can do, but those are techniques. Very odd techniques, but techniques nevertheless. Think about all of the different kinds of people that exist in the Z universe. Krillin has no nose, Launch changes hair color and personalities when she sneezes, etc. The Dragon Ball universe is extremely odd. I just go by the idea that if it wasn't mentioned in the series, then it's not something that could be debated. Because you can spend a very long time debating something that just does not have any proof to it.

And do not trust the Budokai Tenkaichi game bio. I mean...those things aren't perfect. If you wanna know how imperfect they are, even on the official DVD release of GT Season 1 (I didn't even check the others, but I'm sure they have tons of mistakes in them), the booklet read that Trunks' technique...and mind you, the only thing listed there, was the Kamehameha. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's ever done a Kamehameha. So you can't really trust anything like that. In this case, you can't trust anything other than Akira Toriyama's word, not even what Toei has to say about it really.
I know. Some fans make the assumption that he is an alien because of those things and his third eye, but it's more likely that he's just a human with strange abilities rather than a human with alien ancestry. And if Toriyama did have the idea that Tenshinhan was some descendant of an alien, I think he would've mentioned it, like he decided to make Piccolo and Kami-Sama Namekians. And if you're talking about Present Trunks, he does do the Kamehameha...only in the Bio-Broly movie, though.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

You know, on one hand I wish I could say Bio-Broly doesn't count because it is a movie, but Toei made GT too, so who knows? Then again, in GT, Trunks did not use the Kamehameha and that's where it has his ability down as Kamehameha. Yes, let's forget about the Finish Buster or the Burning Attack, it's the Kamehameha that he's perfected. :roll:
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Mon May 11, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 11, 2009 12:41 pm

I always just assumed that he and Chaozu were part of the Monster class of the Terran species until the daizenshuu explained this. In other words, still 100% Terran human, but only in the sense that Pilaf is 100% Terran human.

Question for Herms when he shows up: what terms does the daizenshuu use to explain the Terran categories? I ask because they often refer to "human" as essentially any bipedal sentient being (meaning even aliens are human).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Dayspring wrote:I always just assumed that he and Chaozu were part of the Monster class of the Terran species until the daizenshuu explained this. In other words, still 100% Terran human, but only in the sense that Pilaf is 100% Terran human.

Question for Herms when he shows up: what terms does the daizenshuu use to explain the Terran categories? I ask because they often refer to "human" as essentially any bipedal sentient being (meaning even aliens are human).
Could I ask, what's Terran?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Tenshinhan: Pure Human Or Of Alien Ancestry?

Post by Herms » Mon May 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:However, as far as I know, nothing is stated in the manga or the Daizenshuu about Tenshinhan having a third eye because of his supposed "alien ancestry".
Daizenshuu 4 and 7 say that he is descended from the alien "3-Eyed Tribe" (apparently named in homage to the ancient race from Osamu Tezuka's manga The Three-Eyed One), which is what enables him to grow extra arms and split into four people.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 11, 2009 1:12 pm

Herms wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:However, as far as I know, nothing is stated in the manga or the Daizenshuu about Tenshinhan having a third eye because of his supposed "alien ancestry".
Daizenshuu 4 and 7 say that he is descended from the alien "3-Eyed Tribe" (apparently named in homage to the ancient race from Osamu Tezuka's manga The Three-Eyed One), which is what enables him to grow extra arms and split into four people.
Oh, I was wrong. Thanks, Herms.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon May 11, 2009 1:13 pm

Dayspring wrote:Question for Herms when he shows up: what terms does the daizenshuu use to explain the Terran categories? I ask because they often refer to "human" as essentially any bipedal sentient being (meaning even aliens are human).
In general (series and daizenshuu both), in DragonBall, ningen/human is used to refer all sentient species. In the series, Vegeta refers to Saiyans as "humans" when explaining the Oozaru transformation (he contrasts the power of the Oozaru form to a Saiyan's "human" form), and Ginyu refers to himself as "the kind of human who can alter his battle power". So asking whether Tenshinhan is a human or an alien doesn't make sense in DB terms.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 11, 2009 2:04 pm

Herms wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Question for Herms when he shows up: what terms does the daizenshuu use to explain the Terran categories? I ask because they often refer to "human" as essentially any bipedal sentient being (meaning even aliens are human).
In general (series and daizenshuu both), in DragonBall, ningen/human is used to refer all sentient species. In the series, Vegeta refers to Saiyans as "humans" when explaining the Oozaru transformation (he contrasts the power of the Oozaru form to a Saiyan's "human" form), and Ginyu refers to himself as "the kind of human who can alter his battle power". So asking whether Tenshinhan is a human or an alien doesn't make sense in DB terms.
No, I meant the pie-chart in daizenshuu 7 that explains the three categories of humans. It has one for animals, one for monsters, one for hybrids, and one for humans. What term does it use in the human category?

@Piccolo Daimao: Terrans are people born on Earth. The term is probably derived from the Latin name for Earth.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon May 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Dayspring wrote:No, I meant the pie-chart in daizenshuu 7 that explains the three categories of humans. It has one for animals, one for monsters, one for hybrids, and one for humans. What term does it use in the human category?
It's labled as "types of Earthlings", and divided into Human-type (Kame-sennin), Animal-type (Oolong), and Monster-type (Pilaf). So basically, in DB, not all humans are Earthlings, and not all Earthlings are human.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Herms wrote:
Dayspring wrote:No, I meant the pie-chart in daizenshuu 7 that explains the three categories of humans. It has one for animals, one for monsters, one for hybrids, and one for humans. What term does it use in the human category?
It's labled as "types of Earthlings", and divided into Human-type (Kame-sennin), Animal-type (Oolong), and Monster-type (Pilaf). So basically, in DB, not all humans are Earthlings, and not all Earthlings are human.
Wow... that's confusing. So does that mean the only aliens we've seen that would be considered humans are Jeece, Saiyans, and Recoom?

Yamcha_krillin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yamcha_krillin » Mon May 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Tenshinhan demonstrated the ability to sprout an extra set of arms against Son Goku at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. No other human in the series has demonstrated this ability.However, they do make a mention of Kame-Senin's reaction to this, stating that his reaction is because he has never seen anything like that before in all his years. Although his reaction could be due to the fact that he was surprised a human had the ability to grow 2 additional arms, or a human could even learn how to do that.
This was always enough for me to not consider him a human.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Yamcha_krillin wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Tenshinhan demonstrated the ability to sprout an extra set of arms against Son Goku at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. No other human in the series has demonstrated this ability.However, they do make a mention of Kame-Senin's reaction to this, stating that his reaction is because he has never seen anything like that before in all his years. Although his reaction could be due to the fact that he was surprised a human had the ability to grow 2 additional arms, or a human could even learn how to do that.
This was always enough for me to not consider him a human.
It took more for me to even consider Tenshinhan being a distant alien in the slightest. Growing an extra set of arms, no matter how strange it may be in the DB world, is shocking, but so is firing a blast of chi energy from your palms, trapping your opponent by wrapping them in some gum thing (that's one of Giran's attacks) and being able to transform into a giant ape. Growing an extra set of arms is just as shocking.

ToshiMustgrind
Beyond Newbie

Post by ToshiMustgrind » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 am

I always figured Tien was, indeed, a human however perhaps "awakened".
I do believe in the "third-eye" and that we all have one, though not visible. Tien, in the fictional world of Dragonball, has an "awakened" third eye and is in fact a much large, muscular fighter. It has been noted that Tien can learn moves from observing them with his third eye, which is how he was able to perform the Kamehameha after only observing it twice!
It could very well be possible he learned the 4-Arm technique (mentioned previously) from another fighter he encountered before his introduction in the show.
It should also be noted that Krillian is depicted being able to preform the Split-Form technique.
And its not like anyone questions if Yamcha's really some kind of anthro-wolf person since he does "transform" into a wolf at times while do the Wolf Fang Fist.

These fighters all learn how to channel, harness, manipulate and control there own energy as well as the energy around them... being gifted enough to be so enlightened within the martial arts as well, I really don't see any reason why they also can not learn further techniques that can push there threshold and potential even further then they ought to be able to.

I see no reason to question Tien being a human despite having a visible third eye.
I do see reason to question Choutzu's origin! I mean c'mon! He looks far weirder than any other character in the series! What the hell is he?!

Dayspring wrote:
Herms wrote:
Wow... that's confusing. So does that mean the only aliens we've seen that would be considered humans are Jeece, Saiyans, and Recoom?
Any creature living on the planet is considered an "Earthling".
Since in Toriyama's world there are talking, transforming pigs, dogs who are Police Chiefs and fox boy orphans and so on, all are accepted in the world. We see no "racism" toward "Dog-People" or anything of the like.
Goku is a Saiyan but from Earth thus an Earthling.
Radditz, Nappa, Freeza, Buu and so on are considered "alien" since they are not of that "world".
Main Entry:
1alien Listen to the pronunciation of 1alien
Pronunciation:
\ˈā-lē-ən, ˈāl-yən\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin alienus, from alius
Date:
14th century

1 a: belonging or relating to another person, place, or thing : strange
b: relating, belonging, or owing allegiance to another country or government : foreign
c: exotic
2: differing in nature or character typically to the point of incompatibility
Jeece and Recoom never go to Earth but would also be considered "alien" but are "humanoid".
Vegeta, however, can and should be considered an "Earthling" since he kind of adopted it as his home anyway.
[url=http://toshimustgrind.deviantart.com]DeviantArt.com[/url] | [url=http://www.cosplay.com/member/302/]Tenucha on Cosplay.com[/url] | [url=http://www.myspace.com/tenucha]Tenucha on MySpace.com[/url]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 am

People always say "why should we question that he's human?" It's not like fans are just making up that the Daizenshuu say he has alien ancestry on two separate occasions. Yes, the third eye and special abilities he has aren't that strange considering the things we see in Dragon Ball, so he could very well be a pure blooded human genetically. The Daizenshuu just disagrees. Basically, just as there's no reason to think he isn't pure human, there's also no evidence that says that he isn't. It doesn't make a difference to the story either way.

Also, I don't know if we ever figured out where the thing about Tenshinhan's eye having special powers came from. In the Viz copy of the manga no one says any such thing, and I've been told that it's accurate to the Japanese manga in that case. The Daizenshuu also says that Tenshinhan just learned it because he's skilled at controlling his ki, and implies that anyone else with the same skill could do it too.

As Herms pointed out, the way Dragon Ball uses the word human is different to how we would normally use it.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 12, 2009 6:45 am

Krillin, the most powerfull pure human/earthling :D

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue May 12, 2009 12:34 pm

rereboy wrote:Krillin, the most powerfull pure human/earthling :D
If Tien's 3rd eye is enough to cause him to have alien ancestry, then Krillin's lack of nose does the same for him. Which would mean that Yamcha's the only truly human Z Fighter.

As for the thing about "human" in dragonball, it seems to me that it's just used in the place of words like 'person' and 'humanoid'.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue May 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Xyex wrote:If Tenshinhan's 3rd eye is enough to cause him to have alien ancestry
No, it's not.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Xyex wrote:
rereboy wrote:Krillin, the most powerfull pure human/earthling :D
If Tenshinhan's 3rd eye is enough to cause him to have alien ancestry, then Krillin's lack of nose does the same for him. Which would mean that Yamcha's the only truly human Z Fighter.

As for the thing about "human" in dragonball, it seems to me that it's just used in the place of words like 'person' and 'humanoid'.
The only reason ten is supposed to be an alien is because some guides say so. Not because he has 3 eyes.

If we consider that that info is correct, then Krillin is the most powerfull pure human/earthling in the series. Not bad for such a shy and not so confident, noseless and most of the time bald person :lol: