DragonBall: Raging Blast (PS3/360)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 pm

Chuquita wrote:I love how with the current-gen games, practically all the awkward, polygon-ish stuff is gone. TTuTT

Look at the bottoms of Vegeta's boots, and at Goku's fingers. X3
Yeah, that's what I mean. The newer game may not make the hardware break a sweat, but they do look like video game representations of the characters. The older models looked like... I dunno, like mecha decked out in Z Senshi paint.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am

Innagadadavida wrote: Did you check out the updated screens? They look much better than the ones I originally posted.
In terms of clarity, that doesn't change the fact that the textures, lighting and geometry are very last gen.

They will have to make some significant revisions to their fighting engine to make this even slightly worthwhile, because right now it's ugly as sin, so it had better play well.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Awesome!

A new Sparking style game for my 360. This is the best year ever!

Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, King of Fighters XII, Virtual On, Marvel vs Capcom 2, King of Fighters 98, King of Fighters 2002, Garou: Mark of the wolves... and now this. AWESOME!
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Humpski wrote:Awesome!

Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, King of Fighters XII, Virtual On, Marvel vs Capcom 2, King of Fighters 98, King of Fighters 2002, Garou: Mark of the wolves... and now this. AWESOME!
Still looks like a PS2 game...

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri May 22, 2009 3:48 pm

sangofe wrote:

Whatevs, as long as it's as fun as BT3 I'll be playing it for years to come just like that game.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri May 22, 2009 3:53 pm

I can't believe some people out there hated sparking games..

:? :roll: Well I'm just happy no more generic fighting game!

So stoked for this!!!

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri May 22, 2009 4:09 pm

sangofe wrote:

Get realistic here.

The PS2 simply does not have the bump-mapping, model detailing and hi-res quality that this has... I don't know what you've been smoking, but this game looks at least as good as a lower-end PS3 game.

And for those of you complaining that there's not enough detail... what do you want them to add? Do you want Krillin to have pours on his skin? Individual hair for eyebrows? C'mon, it's just like the anime so I don't know what you're bitching about.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri May 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Why X360 owners cannot have a Dragonball game in the same style of the new Wii game? Are X360 and PS3 too "mature" to have a non-fighting all style video game based on Dragonball? :roll:

Based on the recent images the graphics are actually a lot more cartoonish than ever. Burst Limit did a good job trying to mimic the Anime style however it looks too bright and digital. In Raging Blast (why not Raging Balls? :P) the characters look like 3D colored papers, which is a positive aspect in my view.

However everything good pointed above doesn't actually matter because the "Raging Balls" (:P) is definitely based on Sparking! style video-game which is, expect for its enormous quantity of characters, absolutely awful. Starting on the characters movements...

I would obviously prefer a sequel to Burst Limit. Anyways...

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanos wrote:Get realistic here.

The PS2 simply does not have the bump-mapping, model detailing and hi-res quality that this has... I don't know what you've been smoking, but this game looks at least as good as a lower-end PS3 game.

And for those of you complaining that there's not enough detail... what do you want them to add? Do you want Krillin to have pours on his skin? Individual hair for eyebrows? C'mon, it's just like the anime so I don't know what you're bitching about.
This.
It looks much better than the PS2 games. And we haven't seen the game in motion, or seen the full environments. It could very well tap into the power of the system in other areas. The characters look like their anime counterparts. If the game is fun, I'll be playing it for years to come. That's coming from a guy who still plays Yie Ar Kung-Fu, was more excited for SFII Turbo HD Remix than for SF IV, and is currently planning out custom soundtracks for Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 (gotta love the Dreamcast).
Last edited by Onikage725 on Sat May 23, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri May 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I don't know why people care so much about the graphics.

Maybe I just have lower standards, but even the first pictures posted look fine to me. I don't need to see each individual blade of grass or Goku's bangs swaying in the wind. I just want a fun(Or in the Sparking! series ' case, simple.) game to play. In my eyes, the graphics are one of the lower items on my "most important things in a video game" list.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Fri May 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanos wrote: The PS2 simply does not have the bump-mapping, model detailing and hi-res quality that this has... I don't know what you've been smoking, but this game looks at least as good as a lower-end PS3 game.

I would actually love if they would put in the amount of detail and animation into Raging Blast as CyberConnect2 put into Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm. There's no doubting that that game looks absolutely breath-taking and looks almost completely like the animated series. I have just been dying for a Dragon Ball game to look like that. It can be done so, so some one GET TO IT!
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri May 22, 2009 5:31 pm

In regards to the terrible poly count on the terrain (cause let's face it the character models look great), I still think that's because of the sheer size of the stages (if there is a limit at all). I mean look at the screens we have, have you ever seen that much horizon in a sparking game.

I mean... That's what I hope.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri May 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:(cause let's face it the character models look great)
What?

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:In regards to the terrible poly count on the terrain (cause let's face it the character models look great), I still think that's because of the sheer size of the stages (if there is a limit at all). I mean look at the screens we have, have you ever seen that much horizon in a sparking game.

I mean... That's what I hope.
Plenty of 360/PS3 games have huge stages that have beautiful looking textures. There's no excuse for textures that horrible. The character models look like retextured versions of Sparking METEOR's character models, and badly retextured at that. What's with Goku and Vegeta's colors?
­

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri May 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Rory wrote:
What?

...he said the models look great. :?

I mean, it doesn't have to be Burst Limit to still look good. Plus, we're looking at 150/possibly 200+ characters in this game. To think every single chracter design to look as great as Burst Limit is kinda wishful thinking. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it isn't likely.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri May 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Big Momma wrote:I don't know why people care so much about the graphics.
Simple. The medium is called "Video Games." I'm all about the old school, I can still pop in a Master System game and enjoy the hell out of it...but when you're paying $300-600 for a system and $60 a game...yeah, graphics do enter into the equation. Especially since this generation has seen a promising "test" with Burst Limit that apparently is on the back burner in favor of this less impressive (visually, from what we've seen) effort.

Do graphics carry a game though? Of course not. Burst Limit was pretty but in need of some serious fleshing out, much like the first Budokai title. I really have found that the Sparking games could rarely hold my attention much longer than the time it took to beat them, however, and it this game is simply a rehash...well, it'd better be at least pretty :P
Big Momma wrote:
Rory wrote:
What?

...he said the models look great. :?

I mean, it doesn't have to be Burst Limit to still look good. Plus, we're looking at 150/possibly 200+ characters in this game. To think every single chracter design to look as great as Burst Limit is kinda wishful thinking. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it isn't likely.
Not picking on you, BTW. Your quotes are just on this page :P

It's fairly easy for all the character models to look as great as Burst Limit. Those aren't that difficult to make. It's more a matter of whether the hardware can handle such a load between rendering the backgrounds and the character models without significant frame rate drops and so on. You're right that it isn't likely, but that's not because of anything except for the laziness of the developers.

However, let me counter your argument about graphics by raising perhaps my greatest issue with the Sparking titles:

The roster count.

I'm cool with putting lots of Dragon Ball characters in, however when it comes to this kind of excess (especially when they feel so "copy and pasted") I really find myself going back to earlier titles which had less characters but much more lift and polish. I'd rather have a lineup of 20-30 characters with their own unique move sets than 150-200 characters who are all exactly the same.

I hope this game turns out good, perhaps capturing my attention, but for now I'm thinking it will be the Sparking series' Burst Limit...only less pretty.

-Corey

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri May 22, 2009 11:37 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:(especially when they feel so "copy and pasted") I really find myself going back to earlier titles which had less characters but much more lift and polish. I'd rather have a lineup of 20-30 characters with their own unique move sets than 150-200 characters who are all exactly the same.
*Sigh*

I take it you haven't watched Innagadadavida's videos. The characters in Sparking! do not play exactly the same, just similar at best.

If the roster of characters is anything below what it was at least in Sparking! Neo, you really are looking at something that feels cherry-picked and incomplete. Either it's just up to the Cell Saga, which... hell no, or you have Androids or (necessary) henchmen simply cut out. Dragon Ball is the kind of franchise where you gotta have a crapload of characters for it to work. And, frankly, the characters in the anime don't have their own style exactly.

If you want ten characters with their own unique fighting-style, go play Street Fighter. :roll:

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanos wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:(especially when they feel so "copy and pasted") I really find myself going back to earlier titles which had less characters but much more lift and polish. I'd rather have a lineup of 20-30 characters with their own unique move sets than 150-200 characters who are all exactly the same.
*Sigh*

I take it you haven't watched Innagadadavida's videos. The characters in Sparking! do not play exactly the same, just similar at best.
If you have to watch a video to find that out then they're too similar. :P
­

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri May 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Taku128 wrote:If you have to watch a video to find that out then they're too similar. :P
... -_-

Plenty of games seem to have characters that are similar, but when you get down to it, they are unique.

And, it wasn't the videos that clued me in. It was my amazing ability to not play two characters for ten seconds and go, "DAMN THESE CHARACTERS ARE ALL THE SAME, SHEEIT" *goes and plays Super DBZ and feels proud of self*

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 am

Thanos wrote:*Sigh*

I don't need to watch someone else playing the game. I've played all 3 entries in the series to completion. I can understand that they don't all play exactly the same perhaps, but there are a number of striking similarities that make a number of the characters feel like carbon copies.
If the roster of characters is anything below what it was at least in Sparking! Neo, you really are looking at something that feels cherry-picked and incomplete. Either it's just up to the Cell Saga, which... hell no, or you have Androids or (necessary) henchmen simply cut out.
The number of characters would be fine...if they felt fleshed out. I mean, when it's something like "Hey, we've got 150+ characters...but this one doesn't have an ultimate...and this one's ultimate is just a rapid ki blast..." the numbers of characters doesn't mean dick to me personally.
Dragon Ball is the kind of franchise where you gotta have a crapload of characters for it to work. And, frankly, the characters in the anime don't have their own style exactly.
Disagreed. On both counts.

A crapload of characters throughout the series itself? Fine. All in one game? Not really. I mean, are the masses chomping at the bit to be a Saibaiman? I feel like Budokai 3 kind of introduced the concept of an incomplete game, and the Sparking games stepped in and kept with that tradition. None of the titles have felt "done" to me. And slapping more characters on at the last moment with incomplete move sets and such does nothing to deter that feeling.

As for the "own style" argument, it's the little things we see in the series that could be extrapolated to their fullest in a game. Vegeta's sadistic/humiliating approach, combined with his love of over-the-top ki blasts. Chibi Gohan's initial reluctance to fight with his full strength, until he's infuriated and goes over the edge. Should I keep going?
If you want ten characters with their own unique fighting-style, go play Street Fighter. :roll:
Street Fighter had two characters and they played exactly the same. So, I'll play with the 19 in Street Fighter IV. Or the 18 in Super DBZ :P
And, it wasn't the videos that clued me in. It was my amazing ability to not play two characters for ten seconds and go, "DAMN THESE CHARACTERS ARE ALL THE SAME, SHEEIT" *goes and plays Super DBZ and feels proud of self*
I beat all three Sparking titles with 2 characters in 10 seconds? :shock:

Shit, someone call Guinness quick! I didn't know my PS2 could even boot up that fast! :lol:

-Corey