Interesting Myth

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Interesting Myth

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm

I recently found a Chinese Myth that, to me, seems to correlate pretty strongly to the end of GT. Whether or not the creators were aware of this story is debatable. Here is a version (I've found several but this version is the shortest while still maintaining the important parts):http://www.fairrosa.info/dragon/dragons.pearl.html

For those too lazy to ready it, here is a synopsis: A boy named Xiao Sheng, finds a pearl (Dragonball?) that appears to grant good luck. He ends up swallowing it (remember Si Xing Qiu?), in order to protect it. It burns him (reminiscent of Si Xing Long's attribute) Eventually, he ends up becoming a dragon. Before leaving, as his "final farewell", he brings rain the people had needed and carves the riverbeds. Then, he flies off into the unknown.

To me, the pearl reminds of the Dragonballs in general, and when he swallows it, it more specifically reminds of when Goku swallowed Si Xing Qiu. The last good deed before disappearing reminds of Shenlong's last granted wish.

In the boy we seem to have a combination of Goku and Shenlong, but it really appears to me as some plots points in GT correspond to this.

It could be a coincidence and I am reading too much into it. What do you guys think?
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Interesting comparison. It does sound very similar to the end of GT. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Even if that is a coincidence, it still blew my mind.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Wow, that's really cool of Toei if they pulled it from a myth like that. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Amazing! Maybe that's why I always thought the end of GT was wonderful.

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Well, I guess that Dragonball started with a legend and they wanted to end it with a myth. :wink:
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:20 pm

That's an interesting find. Someone at Toei probably heard it as a kid and used it for GT unwittingly.
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:16 am

Wow. Just wow.

I have always believed that Goku became some sort of God-like Shenron dragon thingymajig.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:50 am

Amazing... It actually does ring so true... I LOVE IT! :P
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14 am

b
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.