Dragon Ball/Z Manga Translation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball/Z Manga Translation Thread

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:21 pm

I was wondering, maybe we should have a thread where users can post what they want translated from original Dragon Ball manga, like at MFG. Any thoughts? I'll start with a few of what I want translated (sorry I don't have the links, MangaHelpers isn't working at the moment):

DB Volume 4 - Goku's line to Kuririn about Yamcha when they first fought

DB Volume 8 - Korin's line on how strong Goku's become after his training

DB Volume 8 - Korin's line on Goku surpassing Kame-Sen'nin

DB Volume 10 & 11 - Kame-Sen'nin on Kuririn's Kamehameha being useless against Chaozu's Dodompa

DB Volume 13 or 14 - Piccolo Daimao stating that he only used half his power when he fought Goku

DB Volume 16 - Piccolo Junior on how his power's grown through training for the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Is this really necessary? I guess I just don't see the point. Rather than having all of our Japanese-speaking forum posters endlessly translate minor bits of inane dialogue over and over, can't we just ask them when it's necessary and appropriate...? :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:50 pm

If that can help you, and spare some other members the time to translate these, I can give you a translation of the new French interpretation which is really really good (and will be 100% perfect with the Kanzenban).

However, I'm not trained enough in English to render all the natural of it. So keep in mind that if you see something weird, it's probably a clumsy translation by me of an otherwise awesome and natural translation. Also you'll see a lot of "..." cause that's what there is when the text switches bubbles!

GOKU'S LINE TO KRILIN ABOUT YAMCHA WHEN THEY FIRST FOUGHT ( Vol. 4 ):
If it's in volume 4, I guess by 'they' you mean Yamcha and Jacky Chun. Then Goku tells Krilin something like :

"Hey, Krilin! Check it out!! The old man's awesome!!"

KARIN'S LINE ON HOW STRONG GOKU'S BECOME AFTER HIS TRAINING ( Vol. 8 ):

Karin: "Nya ha ha! Oh no, I didn't trick you! Your strength has increased."
Goku: "Huh... Ah!"
Karin: "Did you finally understand? Because of your repeated rise and fall on Karin's Tower... and because of your repeated attempts to take my jar... All of this was just a training destined to increase your power. Come on, get back down on the ground and contemplate the results of your training.

KARIN'S LINE ON GOKU SURPASSING KAME SENNIN ( Vol. 8 ):

"Still this little guy... ...might have already surpassed Muten Roshi..."

KAME SENNIN'S LINE ON KRILIN'S KAME HAME HA BEING USELESS AGAINST CHAOZU'S DODONPA ( Vol. 10/11 ):
In both Vol. 10 & 11:

"No way... A Kame Hame Ha learned in haste can never stand a chance against the Dodonpa!"

PICCOLO DAIMAO STATING THAT HE ONLY USED HALF HIS POWER WHEN HE FOUGHT GOKU ( Vol. 13 or 14 ):
Sorry, you'll need to be more specific on that one, there are too many lines when Piccolo states he will now show his true power! Could you be a bit more specific?

PICCOLO ON HOW IS POWER HAS GROWN FOR THE 23rd TENKA ICHI BUDOKAI (Vol. 16):
If this is when Piccolo joins the Dragon Team to warn Goku, right before the announcer announces the finale:

"Fu fu fu... But this time, I'll definately finish you off. And let me warn you, my power is totally different from the Piccolo from three years ago."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Cold Skin wrote:If it's in volume 4, I guess by 'they' you mean Yamcha and Jacky Chun.
I think he means when Goku tells Kuririn about how he and Yamcha were about even when they first fought, after Kuririn asks if Yamcha is strong.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Herms wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:If it's in volume 4, I guess by 'they' you mean Yamcha and Jacky Chun.
I think he means when Goku tells Kuririn about how he and Yamcha were about even when they first fought, after Kuririn asks if Yamcha is strong.
Oh sorry, I misinterpreted!
Then it goes:

Krilin: "Hey Goku, that Yamcha guy seems pretty strong, right?"
Goku: "Yep! I fought him in the past, he could move so fast that it was almost turning him invisible, he was really really strong!"

Goku refers to the Roga Fufu Ken when talking about being so fast it makes him almost invisible, at least that's my guess.