Girlfriends?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:57 pm

I live in Ohio.

I like the bad boys like Vegeta, but not as much as the nice guys. Now Goku's more my type. =D

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:31 am

Booney wrote:Girlfriends and DBZ?
Heck I feel like I'm the only Dragonball fan in my area.
I think the largest group of Dragonball fans in the Netherlands live either west or south west.
I have yet to meet an active Dragonball fan here in the north.
My friends used to like it and still know what it is about, but they only went with the hype and threw everything away as soon as it wasn't "hip" and the show didn't air anymore.

As far as girls go.
Half of them don't now what Dragonball is and the others have a vague memory.

Some did have problems with Krillin and Bardock looking at us from the television.
They're now in the closet :P
It's just like here in Portugal.
Everyone knows about the show and the characters, but that's just it. From the people I know, I'm the only one who took the time to read stuff and watch the original series and register on a message board to talk abou it :P

And you can't expect to find a girl in here with the same fanatism for dragon ball, or you'll take your whole life finding, the trick is to get them to fall for you then they'll pretend they're interested just because they like you :lol: but it is still impossible to have a nice discussion over various dragon ball things.

So the trick is to not care so much for it, or travel to America 8)

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:17 pm

I don't even try anymore to pursue relationships. My last girlfriend was 3 years ago, and that one pretty much just destroyed any and all motivation to continue on. Pretty much every relationship I've ever been in starts out great but turns into a disaster.

I don't regret giving up. Every time I start to feel a little lonely, one of my friends goes through this horrific Earth shattering life altering break up which reminds me why I gave up and how much I don't wanna go through that again.

Lately I've been looked at as a big brother or guardian figure by my female acquaintances. Think Wolverine & Rogue from the live action X-Men movies. Of course, their boyfriends always hate that I'm the one they come to for advice and support, which is understandable, and something that I stress isn't my place and more their boyfriend's. Unless their boyfriend is being a total ass.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:25 pm

It's just like here in Portugal.
Everyone knows about the show and the characters, but that's just it. From the people I know, I'm the only one who took the time to read stuff and watch the original series and register on a message board to talk abou it :P

And you can't expect to find a girl in here with the same fanatism for dragon ball, or you'll take your whole life finding, the trick is to get them to fall for you then they'll pretend they're interested just because they like you :lol: but it is still impossible to have a nice discussion over various dragon ball things.

So the trick is to not care so much for it, or travel to America 8)[/quote]

I think every portuguese member on this message board has the same issue, few people on our country take this show seriously, well... almost every anime in this country is bashed as being only for kids, but if I like it, screw the rest :P

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:12 pm

nem mais !

just don't expect to find a girl that's into dragon ball as much as you are. We have to be happy to find a girl with the same movie and music tastes :lol:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Wow, here I am about to remake the "Your relation with DB and how outsiders respond to it" and I stumble upon it here... with a slight twist.

My ex-lady was into quite a number of anime, but she had absolutely no idea what the DB series was about until we hooked up. I didn't want to be one of those creepy boyfriends that would push their hobbies on her, so whenever I'd end up talking about DB, I'd try not to make her feel that out of the loop and try to catch myself soon enough and change the subject :oops:.

Either that didn't work out that well or she was just cool like that and ended up going through all the manga in about a month. I remember phone conversations where I'd hint at future events. Similar to Jeff's newbie opinion while reading through the manga, her insight was pretty fascinating, too. One night, she even wakes me up via phone just to express how shocked she was to find that Trunks was Vegeta and Bulma's son. She also mentioned how she had no idea why so many fangirls would swoon over him. Then again, she's brought up multiple times that she never fell for the pretty boy in shounen titles (dunno what that said about me :?).

Other things I'd remember her talking about in terms of DB were "typical girlie" stuff like how cute Gohan and Goten were when they were smaller and how she'd name our kids after them. Yeah, I'm almost certain that last part was said in a joking manner.

Other than that, I just remember her choosing to watch the Bardock special over the Trunks one since the series already gave Trunks enough backstory and she was curious about Goku's dad.

Woulda been our year and two month anniversary today, but I had to put a stop to things due to well... stuff.

As for friends and peers, my roomie and neighbor would watch the occasional episode of Kai, while I'd chime in with the random nerd comparison with the original. Team Four Star's abridged work was also another bit of awesomeness we'd use to pass the time. They're favorite joke so far is probably the Chiautzu/pokemon one.

Other than that, there was that one time when two of my classmates invited themselves over for a review for finals at my room. They both noticed my DB poster and wallscroll and had a brief nostalgia trip talking about how they'd rush over straight from school just so they'd catch the latest episode on Toonami. A similar thing happened in high school my sophomore year in science class when I showed up wearing a DBZ sweatshirt. I remember being pretty amused when the entire class (note: all boys high school here) reminisced about the excessive amounts of violence in the show before class actually started.

Dunno if any of those were actually funny, but they're something I always think of to remind me that even in general audiences, the series is still appreciated.

... Ah, feels good having a massively long post after not having one in a while :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:38 pm

I met my husband because we were both anime fans, but he's never really been a Dragonball fan. Sure, he watched it all on Toonami and seemed to enjoy it, but it never was one of his favorite series. He watched some raw episodes with me while they were airing on the International Channel (back when it....existed), but he didn't like the Japanese version, being put off by high pitched Gokuu. I did show him the movies (dubbed) on DVD, also. And we had a laugh together watching Dragonball Evolution. Now, the most connection Dragonball has to my love life are the occasional DB related gifts I get from him (still waiting for my birthday present, which was originally supposed to be released in March, but has been delayed several times :( ). But he always has to make sure I didn't buy it for myself first when looking for a DB related gift :P
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Deity wrote:nem mais !

just don't expect to find a girl that's into dragon ball as much as you are. We have to be happy to find a girl with the same movie and music tastes :lol:
I'm a gal who's very into DBZ. I'd be quite a catch for a guy who's into it as much as me. But the problem is finding them. I guess it would be harder in some places than others.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Karrit wrote:I'm a gal who's very into DBZ. I'd be quite a catch for a guy who's into it as much as me. But the problem is finding them. I guess it would be harder in some places than others.
Well, DBZ fans like us here on Daizex are few and far between. But seeing as how DBZ is a Shonen anime, you're more likely to find a guy who's interested than a girl.

Not impossible though. Just like it's not impossible to find a guy who's into things geared toward girls. Hell, I have Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7 in my living room, that shit is awesome.

I don't generally like girly anime though. Snooze-fest.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:57 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Not impossible though. Just like it's not impossible to find a guy who's into things geared toward girls. Hell, I have Gilmore Girls seasons 1-7 in my living room, that shit is awesome.
Now *that* deserves a high-five. Totally agree with you on that :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 am

My boyfriend, while becoming more and more eager to watch anime, isn't fond of Dragonball. Might chuck on a movie or two next time we do the drink/smoke thing get it in his mind, but otherwise can't blame him for not being interested. Freeza saga dub, crica 2000 will do that to a person.
... Maybe later.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:58 am

Karrit wrote:
Deity wrote:nem mais !

I'm a gal who's very into DBZ. I'd be quite a catch for a guy who's into it as much as me. But the problem is finding them. I guess it would be harder in some places than others.
It can be hard in some place or another, it's not hard to find in here at all! some probably live near you, or near enough

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:04 am

Here in France, it's pretty hard to find a girl that's interested in Dragon Ball. Actually, in the manga sections of the shops, it's often boys you see anyway. Anyway people will often have a wrong image of it because of the old dubbed/censored version we have here for TV, which makes anyone will at first think it's only for little kids (right after Dora and Diego).

Good point is, you make anyone read the manga (re-translated version), and they often become interested, cause it's a totally different stuff here in France. Just a few weeks ago, I just turned one of my roomate into a fan despite him stating "I hate Dragon Ball" at first. Yeah, like much people, he didn't know about the REAL Dragon Ball.

The TV show here is only for fans to laugh, hearing things like Trunks' conversation with Goku about the upcoming cyborgs:
- "Are they human?"
- "No, they look nothing like human, they're actually from a totally different world, from another planet"
or when Goku is supposed to shout "I am Son Goku! The Super Saiyan!!" and instead yells "By the power of Kaio, transformation!!" with the narrator saying "Goku is now completing his transformation", it's really something!

So it's easy to get anyone interested in the manga here. I had a girl turned into a fan with my collection, not because of anything related to the action, but because of the humor, that really made her laugh out loud. Maybe that's the key to interesting our mates: most people who don't know the show consider it as only made of scenario-less action all of time, but they don't know about the astonishing humor and quests of the series. That's their weak point, one should attack with that fact in mind!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Screw it, I'm just gonna move to Japan. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Guys. It's a shounen anime. Maybe the key is to find a boyfriend into the world of Dragonball.
... Maybe later.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:27 pm

My GF was watching Naruto and I was watching it with her...... Then I said, hey, this is really bad and boring anime, let's see Dragon Ball. Now she loves it and she finished two Dragon Ball games. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Infinite World I gave her on Christmas :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:52 pm

I’m not seeing anyone currently, but I can honestly say that a girl who likes Dragon Ball scores major points in my book. :D

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:I’m not seeing anyone currently, but I can honestly say that a girl who likes Dragon Ball scores major points in my book. :D
That actually hasn't been a problem for me. Maybe it's a California thing, but I know a good number of girlies that are into DB.

... I'm just keeping my options open, is all :P.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:24 am

DaemonCorps wrote: That actually hasn't been a problem for me. Maybe it's a California thing, but I know a good number of girlies that are into DB.
This.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SSj Gogito
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSj Gogito » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 am

Finding a girl in Australia who likes DragonBall, Is like trying to find a needle in a haystack

Although i did go to two conventions last year (Supanova) and (Armageddon), I suppose there would be a few fans there.

If any girls are going to Armageddon this year give me a shout.
Where's The Beef