Kai Blu-Ray Release

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Kai Blu-Ray Release

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:41 am

http://muhootsaver.tistory.com/entry/Ju ... ay-release

9/18/09, 3045yen (about $31.00 USD), 3 episodes.

HELLO FUNIMATION HOW ARE YOU ;p

-Corey

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:43 am

Wow. I'm ridiculously amused by this. o_O;;

Only 3 episodes huh?

Not that I was planning to buy Kai anyway, but that still feels like a raw deal. The DBox singles have 5 to 7 episodes per disc, don't they?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:46 am

Chuquita wrote:Wow. I'm ridiculously amused by this. o_O;;

Only 3 episodes huh?

Not that I was planning to buy Kai anyway, but that still feels like a raw deal. The DBox singles have 5 to 7 episodes per disc, don't they?
6 episodes each, usually. In any case, I might snag the first disc for novelty...but I doubt I'll collect the whole series.

Here's the ad, in case that link dies for any reason.

-Corey

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:47 am

Yes, the Dragon Box discs contain double the amount than the BD...
Wow, its $10 an episode. Maybe I'll bite for the hell of it. I am quite curious about the release.

I'll most likely get the first BD and then only the DVD there after...it will get very expensive. Gah, Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 am

I'll probably nab the first Blu-Ray to get the OP/ED animations, but I see no point buying a chopped up version of a series I already own.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:11 am

I am curious if the release (the BD Release) will have an uncompressed 5.1 or the uncompressed 2.0 like they did with the Jump Special.

I am leaning towards a 2.0 uncompressed stereo for the DVD to fill out the DVD. I recently bought the Haruhi R2 Release and it was in uncompressed stereo to fill out the disc.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:12 am

I'll probably wait until the series is finished or nearing it's end before I pick any of these up.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:22 am

I'll pass entirely. Getting ripped off isn't my thing.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:25 am

JAPPO wrote:I'll pass entirely. Getting ripped off isn't my thing.
In their defense (marginally) it is a Blu-ray release. And FUNimation was charging about as much for 7/10 of the last decade for regular DVD's with the same episode count ;p

Still, it is steep. I'll snag one, and unless it's got amazing extras...I'll wait until the series is all done, and even then debate buying.

-Corey

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:33 am

Let's hope they give us a hole instead of a burn.
In other word, let's hope for some differences between the DVD/BLu-Ray releases and the TV version in contents and edits.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:10 am

I'll get them if they're uncensored; if they're not, though, it's a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 am

That's some cool news, but it's true that I'm surprised of the way they release it. I would have imagined whole season packs this time, and more possibly more episodes per Blu-Ray. A regular 40-minutes TV show puts 4 episodes, so considering the Dragon Ball Kai are 20-minutes (well, a little more, but I simplify), guess it would be like 8 episodes a Blu-Ray.

Too bad it's only in Japan for now. Chances are it will eventually be released in the US as well when Kai arrives there, but in France, it's unlikely we'll ever see Kai one way or another, or the translation AND dub would have to be all new! I don't think they will invest time and money on that for an already aired show.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 am

Cold Skin wrote:That's some cool news, but it's true that I'm surprised of the way they release it. I would have imagined whole season packs this time, and more possibly more episodes per Blu-Ray. A regular 40-minutes TV show puts 4 episodes, so considering the Dragon Ball Kai are 20-minutes (well, a little more, but I simplify), guess it would be like 8 episodes a Blu-Ray.

Too bad it's only in Japan for now. Chances are it will eventually be released in the US as well when Kai arrives there, but in France, it's unlikely we'll ever see Kai one way or another, or the translation AND dub would have to be all new! I don't think they will invest time and money on that for an already aired show.
I don't know what to think about this release. It'll be worth to buy if it's uncut, but if not, then no way. By the way, really good English you just wrote for being French, Cold Skin :D

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:58 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:6 episodes each, usually. In any case, I might snag the first disc for novelty...but I doubt I'll collect the whole series.
Same, I may even get the Bluray Disc since I might be getting a laptop with a Blu-Ray player in about a year... I think.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 pm

sangofe wrote:By the way, really good English you just wrote for being French, Cold Skin :D
Thanks, I do my best! :wink:

The thing is that being French, I write in English, but still use the (updated) official French translation for the names, but I don't think it will cause much trouble around because:
1. In the Dragon Ball fanbase, each fan pretty much chooses their favorite spellings anyway.
2. The French names of the new translation, even when not totally identical, are close enough to American / Japanese names so everyone should recognize them right away (even if they disagree with that interpretation for their own reasons).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:55 pm

There's an updated French translation? Does that have to do with Goku now being "Son Goku" instead of "Sangoku"?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Only 3 episodes? oh well, I hope they fix the fucked up censorship and add in the manga parts they took out.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't see how anyone can still think there will be uncensored DVDs when Wasted Wisher stated that that was part of the entire process of reanimation. Unless they went back and unedited it due to backlash, but I doubt.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:03 pm

bkev wrote:I don't see how anyone can still think there will be uncensored DVDs when Wasted Wisher stated that that was part of the entire process of reanimation. Unless they went back and unedited it due to backlash, but I doubt.
I don't see any reason not to uncensor it, that's the whole point of the DVDs. I don't think anyone would buy em if they stay the same.

Wasted Wisher could be wrong as well, once he stated that Nappa is going to stay with the brown armor throughout the series, but it didn't happen. :P

Mystery Person X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystery Person X » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:12 pm

I find it interesting that so many are calling this a ripoff. Are you not familiar with Japanese prices? To my knowledge, this is far and away the cheapest (as in, best value for money) Blu-ray release of an anime TV series to date in Japan.