Vocal Performances...?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Vocal Performances...?

Post by Gozar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:00 am

I hear a lot of people complaining about certain aspects of the Vocal performances in Kai. Namely Chiba's Raditz, Tanaka's Kuririn and Yajirobe, and most recently, Horikawa's Vegeta.

But I have a question...As someone who only every once in a while switches my Video Games over to the Japanese track. Didn't anyone notice this in the Video Games? Was it not present in the games? Or was it simply swept under the rug as a mediocre performance for the same story they do every year game after game?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 am

I haven't played any db games in a while, but from what I remember, even though I normally play with the audio set at Japanese, I'm way too engrossed in fighting whoever it is that I'm fighting to really notice if the voices sound off. ^^;;

I think I remember reading something about Ms. Nozawa's kamehameha vs Mr. Schemmel's in Burst Limit though; that she was pronouncing it in a way different than she usually does or something like that.

(Was it he was pronouncing it how she normally does and she was pronouncing it the way he normally does? It was some sort of reversal-type thing I think.)

I didn't even notice the Kuririn-to-Luffy switch until Kanzentai's comparisons; he's definitely been Luffy for the past couple games because when I heard Z Kuririn in the comparisons, I initially didn't recognize that inflection.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:57 am

All of em' are getting any younger and its really showing with Kai. Tsuru's lifeless performance and Nozawa's gurguling screams. Aside from that, I can't think of anything else wrong. I'm hoping they get in the spirit of things as episodes go by. Especially Tsuru.

They was definitely some difference in Horikawa's performance, but nothing that I found wrong. I just think he was trying something different. Same for Chiba. I really admired Midorikawa's potrayal of Tenshinhan. It wasn't exactly Suzouki (nor was it trying to be). I just remembered his "CHAOZU!!!" and "KIKOHOU".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Vocal Performances...?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:43 am

Gozar wrote:I hear a lot of people complaining about certain aspects of the Vocal performances in Kai. Namely Chiba's Raditz, Tanaka's Kuririn and Yajirobe, and most recently, Horikawa's Vegeta.

But I have a question...As someone who only every once in a while switches my Video Games over to the Japanese track. Didn't anyone notice this in the Video Games? Was it not present in the games? Or was it simply swept under the rug as a mediocre performance for the same story they do every year game after game?
No, there have been some minor complaints in the games recently. As you've noted, you've barely switched them over and probably just haven't checked out some of those recent conversations.

Most notably has probably been Norio Wakamoto's Cell, who has just felt so freakin' OFF the last few games (specifically Sparking! METEOR). Everyone else has been pretty spot-on with only a few minor complaints here and there, but that was the big one.

Some of the replacement voices have been pretty bad, too. I personally had a huge problem with Mitsuaki Madono as Tenshinhan in Burst Limit.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:58 am

VegettoEX wrote:Most notably has probably been Norio Wakamoto's Cell, who has just felt so freakin' OFF the last few games (specifically Sparking! METEOR). Everyone else has been pretty spot-on with only a few minor complaints here and there, but that was the big one.
Did he forget how to play the character?! He sounded like he was yawning in 1st Form Cell instead of the reptilien voice.

When I heard Wakamoto's performance in the podcast, I really liked it and had an urge to buy the episodes of the Cell saga.

But listening to him in the Sparking games, I'm now so worried of how it'll be in Kai.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 am

Goku's voice doesn't bother me, the one that bothers me is Ryu's(Vegeta), his performance in episode 14 was really off, like it was someone else who voice acted Vegeta. Freeza's voice also starts to bother me, he sounds like Mayuri from Bleach while the original Freeza had a lower pitch than that.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Vino wrote:Ryu's(Vegeta)
Uhh... what? :?

His name is Ryo.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm sure the voice actors are doing the same performances as they did in the Kai when recording for the videogames, we just don't really notice because we hear nothing but battle grunts for a good portion.

I don't mind the new take on the characters, it just has more of an updated feel to me. Sure it may kill some of the nostalgia but I wouldn't call it bad.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Horikawa is more screamy and older with his voice, still I like him. For me, nakao's Freeza is still my most favourite no matter that his voice is changed from Z.

It's pretty obvious that the performance won't be same after 30 years.
But I really can't stand Mr. Popo
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Nozawa still has it, but you can tell she has some trouble at parts, but she's still the same ol' Goku I love to hear.

Horikawa's voice still sounds similar, but with subtle deeper tone.

But I have to agree, Popo's seiyu... MY GOD!!! It's like ear-rape to me... it really is.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:35 pm

I did not dig Tanaka's Neo-Yajirobe.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:37 pm

Baba was voiced by Tanaka this time around wasn't she? Or am I hearing things?

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 am

Freeza.exe wrote:Baba was voiced by Tanaka this time around wasn't she? Or am I hearing things?
Yes, and it makes sense, since she played Uranai Baba for part of the original run of DBZ, as well. Uranai Baba was originally played by a man (which I always thought sounded really bad, since it was so obviously a man trying to imitate an old lady voice), but Tanaka Mayumi later took over the role (according to ANN, from ep. 190 of DBZ and on).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:16 pm

Hope this isn't too old to bump - it's still on the first page, and most of the other threads are episode-specific, so I'm gonna take a shot and do it anyways.

So, I decided to check out some Kai for the first time today (as some of you already know I'm not really a 'full-time Dragonball fan' anymore I guess you'd say, so yes, I'm behind the times), and I think most of the voices sound pretty good, if not exactly the same as they did back in the original...but I'm noticing Hiromi Tsuru's Bulma voice seems really...I dunno, dull compared to the way it used to? It's fine for the casually talking scenes, but I'm really noticing it when she starts shouting (like at Gohan and Kuririn in episode 33). That's the only voice I really noticed, though...then again, that's having only watched like 2 episodes, but still.

I think all things considered (particularly age), Nozawa still sounds great. Particularly for Gohan. Kuririn sounds a lot more like Luffy though ^^;
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

Annelie

Post by Annelie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:01 am

What do you mean by "under the rug"?
shop rugs online in Australia http://www.elanlinen.com.au/rugs