FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 pm

It seems as if many people here have never read a DVD review before. First and foremost, what does it matter what score it got? Does it honestly change your opinion of the product? Not mine. Anyway, do you know how high 7/10 actually is? Everyone opposed to the review is being completely absurd. Sure, it's the best that DragonBall Z will probably ever look, but it's not at top tier transfer. Give me a break.

Shigeru
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shigeru » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Fuck me. I saw this at Best Buy and snagged it. Pictures soon. I love.
[b][url=http://twitter.com/ShigeruTurbo]Twitter[/url][/b]
I like the English dub. Kill me.
Fan since 1995.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:07 am

Its IGN you guys; not only do they not like anime to begin with, they're the ones who made that ranked Naruto above Vegeta, Lupin III, Luffy, and Vash in their best character list. Their review is nothing to me. :x

When I choose to try something new I do my own research before deciding instead of relying on reviews. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:10 am

IGN's more a of a general opinion of the public website. If you like something enough, obviously you'll rate it higher than IGN would. :P They're rating is pretty much suitable towards general DVD releases. Yes it's the best incarnation of DBZ in America, but that alone is not going to make everybody buy it even if they aren't a fan. That's what the orange bricks were for... sadly...

Also, does anyone know how the hell to copy the vob files to a hard drive from these discs? All I want are the audio ones, including the menu music files, and I have no idea where to start on how to get 'em copied. :?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:28 am

penguintruth wrote:
.:PoetikaL:. wrote:In the IGN comments:
Detvongsa wrote:I actually loved the American BGM. I thought it added real weight to the scenes. The Japanese music is so mellow, it makes me wonder how it could ever be proper music for an action show.
Sanzee wrote:@Detvongsa
I couldn't agree more. The american music is far superior to the Japanese.
It made me giggle. :P
The Japanese music is "mellow"? That big, sweeping orchestral music in the action scenes that makes them seem like big, epic battles is "mellow"?

I see IGN comments are a lot like YouTube comments.
If the big fast-paced action music is "mellow" to them, I doubt they gave the Japanese BGM a fair shot in the first place. They may even just be going by word-of-mouth.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:09 am

I JUST GOT MY DRAGON BOX!!

WHOOOOOOOOOO!! Happy Day!!

It's so well constructed! The Box actually feels sturdy, like I'm not gonna sneeze and break it (like the Orange Bricks did)

It's so nice...

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:58 am

I'm going to echo the sentiment of "chill out" concerning the IGN review. If you take away the fact that we've been frothing at the mouth for this since 2003, 7 out of 10 is a fair score for a show that's been released twice already. To the average joe, it's just another anime boxset like thousands of others.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:31 pm

IGN reviewed the Dragonbox Z just as they would any other Anime release. I don't really see a problem with that.

All it comes down to is whether or not you want to buy it. I wanna buy it! :D Soooo bad... :x
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:27 pm

It arrived today, long before I was expecting it. The only problem I have with it is that I can't bring myself to open it! It's so beautiful, and I know that it will never look this good again... I knew it would good, but photos just don't do it justice! And I'm stoked because there doesn't seem to be any damage or anything like that on it. And to get this for the same price as a season set is insanity.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:49 am

Question about viewing the Dragon Box in the proper 4:3 format.

First off, I am watching on a 16:9 HDTV (like most of you, I assume). This of course means that when I pop the Dragon Box into my PS3 and begin watching, the screen stretches the image to fit the full capacity, resulting in a slight deformation of objects (though the menus are in a full 16:9...).

What are my options? If I manually set the television's image options to display in 4:3, I get horribly distracting BRIGHT gray pillar boxes. There is no option on either of my two HDTVs to set these pillar boxes to a less-distracting black.

On the PS3, I see no option to set display preferences. Am I missing something that would enable black pillar boxes? The 360 does this when playing Xbox Original games, for example.

I would like to view this show in the correct aspect ratio, but unfortunately the only option I've seen that enables me to do this gives me gray pillar boxes, which literally boggles my mind at how horrid it looks. Watching it stretched to 16:9 isn't so bad, but can be a bit jarring at times....

Bleh...

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:03 am

Smooth Criminal wrote: What are my options? If I manually set the television's image options to display in 4:3, I get horribly distracting BRIGHT gray pillar boxes. There is no option on either of my two HDTVs to set these pillar boxes to a less-distracting black.
Are you sure your TV doesn't have settings for something called "anti-image retention" or something similar? Most plasma TVs have gray pillar boxes to prevent the image from burning in but they can almost always be turned off.

As for the PS3, try pressing triangle when you are playing the DVD and try the options there.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:28 am

About the "10% brighter" issue: If I wanted to adjust my TV's brightness setting to replicate the look of the Japanese DBoxes, is there some universal amount I should decrease my brightness by, or does it depend on my TV? What I'm asking is: what is 10% on my TV's brightness setting? My TV goes from 0 to 100, but 0 isn't completely black and 100 isn't completely white, so do the numbers represent percentages or not?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am

Folks, folks.

If I'm understanding the hardware technology correctly, you don't need to and shouldn't be adjusting your brightness. The FUNimation Dragon Boxes are increased at 10% brightness to match how the JP DVDs would be displayed on a Japanese television without further image modification.

The difference is made so you don't need to change anything.

In that respect, if you have the R2 DVDs and are watching those in the US, you should increase your brightness by 10% if you want to match how it would be displayed if you lived in Japan.

Unless I'm totally wrong. But that seems to be the logical reading of it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:23 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: Image
I just checked some screenshots with my Dragon Box on TV now. My TV is a 40' and is set to 16:9 and my DVD player is set to 16:9, when I change the DVD options to 4:3(Letter box) a lot of stuff gets cut out from the menu. When I push play (in the 4:3) format there are black blocks on the side, is this the way the Dragon Box should be watched in?

I'm using this krillin image because I've got the exact same image on now, and looking at mine it's cutting out quite a bit of krillin's ear. Do I have to change the settings or is it the screenshots?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:57 pm

If your TV is 16:9, your DVD player should be set to 16:9. If 4:3, then 4:3. If watching the Dragonbox on a 16:9 TV, the menu will be 16:9 and the episodes will be 4:3 with black bars on the sides. If watching on a 4:3 TV, the menu will be 4:3 with stuff cut off the sides of the menu and the episodes will be 4:3 filling your entire screen.

This is how the menu will appear on a 4:3 screen.
(they/she)

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, except you're wrong about it displaying in 4:3 on a 16:9 tv. As stated, it by default stretches the image to fit the full screen... And for me personally, I have yet to find a way that allows me to view it with black pillar boxes.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Kendamu wrote:If your TV is 16:9, your DVD player should be set to 16:9. If 4:3, then 4:3. If watching the Dragonbox on a 16:9 TV, the menu will be 16:9 and the episodes will be 4:3 with black bars on the sides. If watching on a 4:3 TV, the menu will be 4:3 with stuff cut off the sides of the menu and the episodes will be 4:3 filling your entire screen.

*4:3 screen*

This is how the menu will appear on a 4:3 screen.
Well I'll leave my TV and DVD on 16:9, just that I thought the Dragon Box was meant to be watched in 4:3. It's strange because when I set it to 16:9 or 4:3 and watch a episode it still cuts a little bit off, for example krillin's ear.

The menu is in 16:9 for me and it cuts our krillin's ear, even if I put it in 4:3 it cuts it out. :lol: I just put disc 5 in my computer and everything is great then, nothing getting cut out. Anyway thanks for the help!

Edit:
Kendamu wrote:If watching the Dragonbox on a 16:9 TV, the menu will be 16:9 and the episodes will be 4:3 with black bars on the sides.
That's not happening for me, the TV and DVD is on 16:9 but when the episode plays it's full screen with no black bars.
Last edited by SSJSteve on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Yeah, except you're wrong about it displaying in 4:3 on a 16:9 tv. As stated, it by default stretches the image to fit the full screen... And for me personally, I have yet to find a way that allows me to view it with black pillar boxes.
Then there's something wrong with your display settings.
(they/she)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:Question about viewing the Dragon Box in the proper 4:3 format.

First off, I am watching on a 16:9 HDTV (like most of you, I assume). This of course means that when I pop the Dragon Box into my PS3 and begin watching, the screen stretches the image to fit the full capacity, resulting in a slight deformation of objects (though the menus are in a full 16:9...).

What are my options? If I manually set the television's image options to display in 4:3, I get horribly distracting BRIGHT gray pillar boxes. There is no option on either of my two HDTVs to set these pillar boxes to a less-distracting black.

On the PS3, I see no option to set display preferences. Am I missing something that would enable black pillar boxes? The 360 does this when playing Xbox Original games, for example.

I would like to view this show in the correct aspect ratio, but unfortunately the only option I've seen that enables me to do this gives me gray pillar boxes, which literally boggles my mind at how horrid it looks. Watching it stretched to 16:9 isn't so bad, but can be a bit jarring at times....

Bleh...
You should go to the DVD/Blu-Ray options on your PS3. My PS3 selects the viewing format automatically. I forgot what it was called, I think it's pan and scan? It just slipped the top of my mind. Anyway, my PS3 automatically detects the viewing format, so if it is meant to be in 4:3, it displays 4:3, if it's meant to be 16:9, it displays 16:9. Right now with the Dragon Box, it shows the main menu at 16:9, but the show itself is in 4:3.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Oh, wow. PS3? You have to change your Upscale settings to "Normal." You can find it in the A/V settings from that menu you can bring up with Triangle while playing a DVD. If the Upscale is "None" or "Full" it'll stretch. If it's "Normal" it'll fit your screen properly.
(they/she)