Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Blade wrote:DBO has already been released as an open beta. If you are feeling intrepid and fraudulent enough there are certain websites which host the full installation client and house instructions as to how to participate in the open beta and play the game for free. Unless of course you have a Korean social security number, in which case you're fully entitled to play it legally.

The main plot of DBO involves time-travel quests allowing the player to re-live defining moments of Dragonball, there isn't even a single reference to any of the events in GT, let alone a playable story-arc from it.
Beta? No thanks. If I'm going to steal something, I'd rather it be a finished product. I'll wait patiently for the game to come out. Then I'll keep coming up with excuses about not wanting to pay for it just yet. Then a couple years later it will shut down and I'll have never played it. Damn you, Matrix Online!!!

And yeah, I knew it would ignore GT. That's why I had the whole post speculating why.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Blade wrote:Wait, so you are saying that at the end of Z there was simply no plausible and interesting plots which could have seen any characters apart from Goku reach new levels of strengh and power? I mean, that's a really unimaginative position to take, and it's exactly that lack of interest in the "supporting characters" which makes the majority of the writing for GT utterly lackluster in comparison to the previous sagas.
Yeah, pretty much. That's why things like "fusing by dancing/earrings" and "power unlocked by the king of the gods" were invented - the characters had just become too strong for plausible growth.

Where exactly do you suggest Gohan do to get stronger? All his hidden powers were uncovered by Elder Kai. He couldn't even go Super Saiyan or get strength from the zenkai anymore. Oh sure, if he trained he could gain a little strength, but the days of WARGH ME ANGRY *free power* are over for Gohan.

Gotenks is already at the max. Unless you give SS4 to him as easily as he got SS3 (which is completely bullshit, may I add)

And if you give Goten and Trunks more powerups, it's just the same old things for back when Super Saiyan became common as dirt. That's not interesting. And unless they go SS3, you couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Pan has room to grow, but she's so weak anything that can take out the other will crush her easy-like.

Uub was a waste, I agree.

But the main thing I think would've improved GT in this regard is NOT giving out free transformations to the kids. Instead, let them have fights. Actual fights, not "haha you are so puny i dust my shoes your attack does nothing" bullshit.

Z did the 'zomg nobody is worth anything but Goku" several times, but it's not as commented on because the other characters deal damage, or at the very least, get a moment to show their skills off. Remember Vegeta vs Recoome? Now compare to Vegeta vs Super 17. Just expanding the fights to shift the spotlight away from Goku for a bit would improve GT immeasurably.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:07 pm

I have no idea if this has already been mentioned or not because I haven't read through this thread, but DragonBall GT pales in comparison because it had to follow Z. Enough said.

Rami

Post by Rami » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:lol That and his pink wristbands. That's so irritating to me. Why would he have pink wristbands?
He was promoting Breast Cancer research. :)
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

spencer7x7

Post by spencer7x7 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Dragon Ball GT was pretty good. It was not as good as Z but it was enjoyable. The only thing that bugged me was Frieza and Cell's drawings.
Penguin eating fish.

(o< <º))))><
//\
V/_

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 pm

spencer7x7 wrote:Dragon Ball GT was pretty good. It was not as good as Z but it was enjoyable. The only thing that bugged me was Freeza and Cell's drawings.
That whole fight was a disappointment. The biggest problem of GT for me.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Krazy Monkey

Post by Krazy Monkey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:09 pm

^ I agree, but it wouldn't be the first time that Frieza was beaten easily. In Fusion Reborn, Gohan defeated him in just one punch, and he didn't even need to become a Super Saiyan.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote:^ I agree, but it wouldn't be the first time that Frieza was beaten easily. In Fusion Reborn, Gohan defeated him in just one punch, and he didn't even need to become a Super Saiyan.
This is true, but you only have so much time in the movies. When doing this in a series like GT, you can stretch the fight over several episodes...which they did, but it still sucked.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm

I like everything Rocketman has to say about this.

I mean, why shouldn't have the two #17's fought against Vegeta and lost before they merged? That would have at least been slightly more entertaining.

Or maybe that happened? Only saw the show through once, years ago.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Dragon Ball GT was a very entertaining show. Well, at least to me. Like you noted, it had those funny moments similar to the original Dragon Ball series, as well as the action and excitement from the Z series (I'm not saying the original 153 episodes weren't exciting, it's just that as big a fan I am, I haven't actually seen much of Dragon Ball besides reading the first six manga volumes - it's a little disappointing that I'm missing out on the thing that started it all...). Anyway, it's a great show but people hate on it for some reasons:

1) The story isn't by Toriyama, so it has MANY plot holes in it and problems with it. I try to overlook them when watching... plus, it was a while back when I actually watched most of the episodes, so I wasn't that much of a sophisticated fan to even notice them.

2) The dub and FUNimation's treatment of the series bother MANY people. I saw the show, again, when I was little, so I actually watched it dubbed. As a big dub fan at the time (not anymore), I didn't see issues with FUNimation. I thought the theme song was cool then... I don't hate it like most of you guys here on the forum now... it's OK... it's different... it's... um, "creative." How am I going to get out of this without making a fool of myself...?

"Do you know GT?" That phrase upset... you probably guessed it... MANY people! They got rid of Izumi Sakai's great music and lyrics... and made this rock/rap combo for the musical score. It's so unfitting... Thank the lord that the season sets had dubbed OPs and EDs! My one problem with that whole new arrangement was that the narrator sounded too sinister to talk over the soft, "Dan Dan" jingle. He just didn't sound right.

Overall, I like GT. Beside those two main issues and some other ones I don't really feel like getting into since they've probably already been discussed, it was a good show. The best episodes had to be 40 and 64 (Piccolo's decision... so emotional, Farewell to Goku and friends, so emotional!), and the TV special (also because of its emotional tone).

The final credits were great, too! FUNimation ruined them with their score, though...
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

"Filler in Dragon Ball" are four of the worst words to come across in a sentence in the eyes of us Dragon Ball fans. So it's even worse when we get practically a whole filler series.
Anyway, TOEI were the people who made Yamcha beat Olibu. I don't know why I was so surprised at first by their shoddy handling of GT.

I will now like to take back my earlier comment of "GT could've been a great continuation of Z". Because, even if TOEI had made GT half-decent, I can't think of much more they could've done with it. They'd done everything. Goku became a SSJ3 (anymore than that was taking the piss--SSJ4 was an OK idea, though), Gohan's full power was finally brought out, Vegeta stopped being a bastard...everything was done, nothing more to complete, no loose ends or cliffhangers, Dragon Ball was over.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
I will now like to take back my earlier comment of "GT could've been a great continuation of Z". Because, even if TOEI had made GT half-decent, I can't think of much more they could've done with it. They'd done everything. Goku became a SSJ3 (anymore than that was taking the piss--SSJ4 was an OK idea, though), Gohan's full power was finally brought out, Vegeta stopped being a bastard...everything was done, nothing more to complete, no loose ends or cliffhangers, Dragon Ball was over.
I agree.

Not to mention that buu was the most "complete" villain that I can imagine. He had no weaknesses, he could regenerate from ashes, his power was incredible, he had the ability to do powerful magic, he could absorb other opponents to become stronger, he understood ki at least as much as Goku and the others, and he had lots of transformations. He even spawned a good buu to join the gang.

Maybe he wasn`t the best villain in Dragon Ball in terms of personality or background, but he did pretty much everything a villain could do, including destroy Earth.

Its hard to top that.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote: I will now like to take back my earlier comment of "GT could've been a great continuation of Z". Because, even if TOEI had made GT half-decent, I can't think of much more they could've done with it. They'd done everything. Goku became a SSJ3 (anymore than that was taking the piss--SSJ4 was an OK idea, though), Gohan's full power was finally brought out, Vegeta stopped being a bastard...everything was done, nothing more to complete, no loose ends or cliffhangers, Dragon Ball was over.
It would have been nice to have it focus on Uub's training.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: I will now like to take back my earlier comment of "GT could've been a great continuation of Z". Because, even if TOEI had made GT half-decent, I can't think of much more they could've done with it. They'd done everything. Goku became a SSJ3 (anymore than that was taking the piss--SSJ4 was an OK idea, though), Gohan's full power was finally brought out, Vegeta stopped being a bastard...everything was done, nothing more to complete, no loose ends or cliffhangers, Dragon Ball was over.
It would have been nice to have it focus on Uub's training.
But it would just be the same old, same old. Powerful, experienced master in martial arts teaches young, inexperienced student with a great amount of potential. Déjà vu?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:57 pm

It would be like Master Roshi and Goku, except Goku is Roshi and Uub would be Goku. It would be nice to see the training, but it's like what was said before... Toei did everything.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:19 pm

rereboy wrote: Not to mention that buu was the most "complete" villain that I can imagine. He had no weaknesses, he could regenerate from ashes, his power was incredible, he had the ability to do powerful magic, he could absorb other opponents to become stronger, he understood ki at least as much as Goku and the others, and he had lots of transformations. He even spawned a good buu to join the gang.

Maybe he wasn`t the best villain in Dragon Ball in terms of personality or background, but he did pretty much everything a villain could do, including destroy Earth.

Its hard to top that.
Sounds like Cell. :wink:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
But it would just be the same old, same old. Powerful, experienced master in martial arts teaches young, inexperienced student with a great amount of potential. Déjà vu?
.:PoetikaL:. wrote:It would be like Master Roshi and Goku, except Goku is Roshi and Uub would be Goku. It would be nice to see the training, but it's like what was said before... Toei did everything.
The Master/Student thing is done all of the time, and it could be done in a new/fresh way with Goku and Uub.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

I think a mentor/student relationship between Goku and Uub would be very fresh no matter how they handled it for the simple fact that 417 episodes separate the end of the 21st Budokai from the start of Dragon Ball GT.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:I think a mentor/student relationship between Goku and Uub would be very fresh no matter how they handled it for the simple fact that 417 episodes separate the end of the 21st Budokai from the start of Dragon Ball GT.
Indeed. So many things get repeated in Dragonball, such as Super Saiya-jin levels, Villain conversion, Yamucha sucking, etc. that when the opportunity for Toei to replicate the single greatest concept in DB/Z they decide to.... ignore it.

Ugh.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:
rereboy wrote: Not to mention that buu was the most "complete" villain that I can imagine. He had no weaknesses, he could regenerate from ashes, his power was incredible, he had the ability to do powerful magic, he could absorb other opponents to become stronger, he understood ki at least as much as Goku and the others, and he had lots of transformations. He even spawned a good buu to join the gang.

Its hard to top that.
Sounds like Cell. :wink:
Cell couldn`t do magic, couldn`t regenerate from ashes and in the same fashion as buu, and he apparently lost his absorption ability after reaching his perfect form.

Don`t get me wrong, I understand what you mean. Cell was, in many ways, a perfect being.

But, when we really look at it, he was, in fact, only a perfect combination of all the major previous villains and heroes` powers and abilities.

Buu went even beyond that. Besides being obviously stronger.

Look at it this way, in this villain scale:

Vegeta in the sayan arc
(very powerful and has the ability to transform into a giant ape to become stronger. He has no regeneration capabilities and he can`t feel ki. He can`t survive in space)

<

Freeza
(much more powerful and capable of transforming multiple times into creatures increasingly powerful. He also can`t feel ki. He has very limited regeneration capabilities since he is able to regenerate his tail when he transforms. He is capable of surviving in space)

<

Cell
(much more powerful and capable of transforming multiple times into creatures increasingly powerful. He can feel ki. He has extensive regeneration capabilities and he can survive in space. He can absorb enemies to become stronger in some of his forms)

<

Buu
(much more powerful and capable of transforming multiple times into creatures increasingly powerful. He can feel ki. He has extreme regeneration capabilities and he can survive in space. He can absorb enemies to become stronger in all of his forms. He has extensive magic abilities)