If you could switch out--

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

If you could switch out--

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:43 pm

--the "Over 9000" meme for another db-related catchphrase, what would it be?

I ask this because while reading the local newspaper funnies today, I saw the 9000 meme in the first panel of Dilbert: http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-12-01/ and I was like 'is this meme really THAT popular?'.

With Brian Drummond's Vegeta, I've always kind of liked his "wrath" line much better than this.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:14 pm

Definitely, "Cat loves food. Yeah, yeah, yeah!".

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm

"These balls" -Lord Freeza

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:21 pm

"This three-eyed cowboy's going out for one last ride!"

or

"Don't piss off the God of Love!"

or

"A man... wearing pink! How bizarre!"
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 pm

Ununbium wrote:Definitely, "Cat loves food. Yeah, yeah, yeah!".
This, a million times time.

And, I'll even tell you why.

Now, I don't actually mind "Over 9,000." I don't go on /b/ or whatever the hell people go to, it's not overexposed to me. I don't go to conventions where it's all people can say in regards to Dragon Ball. So it doesn't bother me and maybe twice a year I'll even pull out that youtube video that started it all and have myself a wee chuckle.

But "Over 9,000" is something that got over simply due to repetition and is, really, just a slightly overfed line in a dub full of them (Chuquita's mentioning of the "WRRAAAAAATHHH!!!" line is a perfect example of this).

Meanwhile "Cat loves food" is a colossal failure on every level. It's a failure for the script writers and the voice actor. It perfectly encapsulates what some would see as the dub's attempt to piss on the original script. It tries to tinker with the context of the scene. The words don't mesh with what's happening visually.

Oh, and the line is bloody insane in the first place.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:41 pm

It's not like "Cat loves food" was the first time they replaced a line with singing. Back in the first Season 1 dub, during the dinosaur episode, Gohan was returning with food and his lines while he was walking along were changed to him going, "Doot, doooo-doot, doooo-doot, dooo-doot, dooo-DOOT, dooo-doot," or something of that nature.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:19 pm

"LET THAT CHILD ALONE" is nowhere near as prevalent as it should be.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 pm

"I'm the Bean Daddy, not you!"

Or something like that...
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Does anyone have a clip of the "Cat loves Food" thing? I can't believe I've never even seen this yet. Is it on the new season sets?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Piccolo's "I-feel-great-I-can-do-this-I-can-win-oh-yeah-!!" from just after he fuses with Nail. I think it was the first time that I literally cringed at the dub.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:28 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:Piccolo's "I-feel-great-I-can-do-this-I-can-win-oh-yeah-!!" from just after he fuses with Nail. I think it was the first time that I literally cringed at the dub.
Yes
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Big Momma wrote:Does anyone have a clip of the "Cat loves Food" thing? I can't believe I've never even seen this yet. Is it on the new season sets?
Here's an audio clip:
http://yamuchadensetsu.com/?p=6

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:33 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:Piccolo's "I-feel-great-I-can-do-this-I-can-win-oh-yeah-!!" from just after he fuses with Nail. I think it was the first time that I literally cringed at the dub.
Even when I was a little kid, and first heard that line, even I was like "Ok... that couldn't have been right." :lol:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm

Ununbium wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Does anyone have a clip of the "Cat loves Food" thing? I can't believe I've never even seen this yet. Is it on the new season sets?
Here's an audio clip:
So how did that scene play out in the Japanese version? Not that I think it could be anything like that, but the contrast will make Cat Loves Food even more absurdly-fucking-tarded.

Shigeru
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shigeru » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

"What say you?!
[b][url=http://twitter.com/ShigeruTurbo]Twitter[/url][/b]
I like the English dub. Kill me.
Fan since 1995.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Duo wrote:
Ununbium wrote:
Here's an audio clip:
So how did that scene play out in the Japanese version? Not that I think it could be anything like that, but the contrast will make Cat Loves Food even more absurdly-fucking-tarded.
"It sure is nice to be at peace."

They then talk about how Vegeta is probably off in space chasing after Goku.

In the dub, this is replaced with some long backstory about "Cat loves food." It's a cat food commercial jingle. Pu'reh doesn't like, but shows no reaction to it either way.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: If you could switch out--

Post by DBZfan29 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Chuquita wrote:--the "Over 9000" meme for another db-related catchphrase, what would it be?

I ask this because while reading the local newspaper funnies today, I saw the 9000 meme in the first panel of Dilbert: http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-12-01/ and I was like 'is this meme really THAT popular?'.

With Brian Drummond's Vegeta, I've always kind of liked his "wrath" line much better than this.
I think that Dilbert line was just an odd coincidence.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:56 am

One million times this. It never fails to make me laugh like a madman.

"I CAN DO THIS I CAN WIN YES YES YES YES THIS IS INCREEEEDIIIBLE I'M AWAKE I'M WIIIIIIDE AWAAAAAKE!"

Clearly the best acting Sabat has ever done.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 am

I WILL EAT THE HAT THAT I AM WEARING!

That was definitely the champ.

Is that OKAAAAAY?

Krazy Monkey

Post by Krazy Monkey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 am

I'd use King Piccolo's line, "N-NO! NOT THAT! NOT THE JAAAAAAR!!!"

I don't know what it is about that, but for some reason, it ALWAYS cracks me up. It just never gets old to me.