Dragon Box 2 And Dragon Ball Season 3 Cover Art.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:03 pm

If the price dropped, doesn't that usually mean the first one sold better than expected?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:I'm sure all those muppets raging about the release on Amazon and such aren't helping the situation...
For every crap review, counter it with a good one. Personally, I think it is our responsibility to inform the average consumer what is actually true about the Dragon Box. We wanted this so bad for so long, so let our voices be louder than all the naysayers.
As much as I love your passion to for this, you have to remember the average consumer is an idiot in this time an age. I was at Best Buy a few days ago, price matching Lost S5 BD with the Frys' ad, and this 18 year old was returning the first Dragon Box Volume because the DVD played Japanese only. Yeah...

I explained the situation of why Japanese was default, he paid no mind. His retort was, "I paid for an American product, not some shitty girly Japanese voices". I restrained myself, because I wanted to punch this guy so hard.
The Time Traveller wrote:If the price dropped, doesn't that usually mean the first one sold better than expected?
It's usually good, but sometimes its not. This set was targeted at the "Hardcore Crowd". The everyday Joe will not be paying premium price for something they can get for a cheaper price.

I sincerely hope that this set is doing well, because America deserves this set after all the crap it was given in the last decade.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:As much as I love your passion to for this, you have to remember the average consumer is an idiot in this time an age. I was at Best Buy a few days ago, price matching Lost S5 BD with the Frys' ad, and this 18 year old was returning the first Dragon Box Volume because the DVD played Japanese only. Yeah...

I explained the situation of why Japanese was default, he paid no mind. His retort was, "I paid for an American product, not some shitty girly Japanese voices". I restrained myself, because I wanted to punch this guy so hard.
And, with all due respect to dub fans, this is while I'll always harbor some resentment towards FUNimation. Their marketing, in my opinion, has basically contributed the cultural ignorance that pollutes the fandom. I'm not saying all dub fans are this way, but it's definitely not a small segment.

If any case, I would have told him that I was legitimately sorry that he was unhappy with his DVD of a show for small Japanese boys.

-Corey

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:42 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:As much as I love your passion to for this, you have to remember the average consumer is an idiot in this time an age. I was at Best Buy a few days ago, price matching Lost S5 BD with the Frys' ad, and this 18 year old was returning the first Dragon Box Volume because the DVD played Japanese only. Yeah...

Did you see whether he exchanged it for a season set? :lol:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:And, with all due respect to dub fans, this is while I'll always harbor some resentment towards FUNimation. Their marketing, in my opinion, has basically contributed the cultural ignorance that pollutes the fandom. I'm not saying all dub fans are this way, but it's definitely not a small segment.
Yep, I'd say the vast majority are that way (i.e. almost every dub fan that doesn't frequent a DragonBall or anime fansite). I was like that until I found a link to Daizenshuu EX when the season set podcast came out.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Well, not everyone's a fan of the Japanese version. Crazy concept, I know, but maybe if you stopped TAKING CRITICISM PERSNALLY you'd understand

sorry, I just had to do it :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:22 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Well, not everyone's a fan of the Japanese version. Crazy concept, I know...
Um, duh...that's what we're pointing out here.

Can you please not turn this into a defensive thing?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:sorry, I just had to do it :lol:
No, you didn't. Cut it out.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:38 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Cut it out? Are you serious? jjgp1112 wasn't being defensive, either. He was only pointing out that the poster above was making it out to be a bigger deal than it was. For the record, I can no longer watch the dub. However, who gives a shit if someone doesn't like the Japanese version? It's not exactly stopping you from watching it.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Mountain wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Cut it out? Are you serious? jjgp1112 wasn't being defensive, either. He was only pointing out that the poster above was making it out to be a bigger deal than it was. For the record, I can no longer watch the dub. However, who gives a shit if someone doesn't like the Japanese version? It's not exactly stopping you from watching it.
That's not the point. jjgp1112 comes into any thread like this and starts making it a dub vs sub argument. I can at least speak for Kaboom and I by saying we're sick of it and don't want it to keep happening. It's not like we have a plethora of places to be critical of the FUNI dub to begin with.

The discussions about COVER ART anyway. Good lord.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Part of me wishes that the dub was the default language, since the Japanese fans are used to changing the language, dub fans aren't.

I mean, returning it's a little harsh, considering it takes 7 seconds to change the language.

At least if they had changed the default, they would have gotten more of the credit they deserve for giving us such a great release... so far they've probably recieved more critisism.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:52 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Part of me wishes that the dub was the default language, since the Japanese fans are used to changing the language, dub fans aren't.

I mean, returning it's a little harsh, considering it takes 7 seconds to change tha language.
I'm going to pitch a guess and say the guy didn't know how to change the language.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:08 pm

He was probably one of those kinds of guys that disregard anything that's not in their own language. Not just someone who doesn't like the original version of Dragonball.

Anyways, are there any sites that have actual numbers of DVD sales? I know that there's a few for video games (though I usually just read them when they're posted on blogs for general gaming news....), but I don't necessarily follow movies and DVD's etc. There has to be something out there like, right? :lol:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:40 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:Anyways, are there any sites that have actual numbers of DVD sales? I know that there's a few for video games (though I usually just read them when they're posted on blogs for general gaming news....), but I don't necessarily follow movies and DVD's etc. There has to be something out there like, right? :lol:
There's Amazon sales rankings, but those seem to fluctuate by day, and don't show any overall totals, IIRC. I'm not sure about DVDs in general, but sales numbers for anime seems especially rare. I think there's some details about it in FUNimation's financial reports, but even then, we might just get overall Dragon Ball numbers and not specific title numbers.
-Rachel

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Dammit, I'll just have to buy a dragonbox for everyone who doesn't buy one. :?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:37 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Dammit, I'll just have to buy a dragonbox for everyone who doesn't buy one. :?
I'll take Dragon Box the Movies, please. :)

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Part of me wishes that the dub was the default language, since the Japanese fans are used to changing the language, dub fans aren't.

I mean, returning it's a little harsh, considering it takes 7 seconds to change the language.
Yeah, hitting that button on the remote sure is a long progress.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:58 pm

godofchaos wrote:

Yeah, hitting that button on the remote sure is a long progress.
Looking for the button, fumbling the remote... hell someone might fracture a thumb pressing it.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:00 pm

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:Looking for the button, fumbling the remote... hell someone might fracture a thumb pressing it.
Hey, don't joke about that, that really happened!

To a guy I know...

Anyway... We've had to do that for a decade, now it's your turn, Nya-ha-ha-ha-haaaha!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Maybe he doesn't have a working DVD remote, and most DVD players only have the skip, play/pause, and stop buttons on them, while everything else needs a remote. Maybe he just can't change the audio. That's why I don't watch the Dragon Box on one of my DVD players anymore, at least until I buy some new batteries - because I can't switch it to the dub, wheras with the remastered sets, if my remote isn't working, who gives a fuck, the dub is the first option anyway. He probably simply can't switch audio, and since he already dislikes the Japanese version, then well, there's no reason for him to even own it, because it's nothing but shit to him.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:He probably simply can't switch audio, and since he already dislikes the Japanese version, then well, there's no reason for him to even own it, because it's nothing but shit to him.
Highly unlikely. Odds are, judging from Krycek's account of his behavior... he's just a tasteless idiot.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!