Pass around some compliments (stop the hate!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 pm

GizmoKSX wrote:There was a great dub moment during Goku's fight* with Recoome. Recoome is taking ridiculously long announcing the name of his impending attack, and Goku knocks him out with an elbow, commenting, "There was an opening that just seemed to scream out, 'attack!' So, I did." :lol: I think Peter Kelamis was doing his voice at that point.
I'm pretty sure Mike mentioned this moment in one of the podcasts.
*"Fight" in the loosest sense of the word. Also see Butterbean vs. Bart Gunn.
Sean Schemmel was also given that line, too. And yeah, it was pretty amusing.

I hate to go off-topic, but I remember The Rock saying in his book that him and Stone Cold both yelled "HOLY SHIT!" when they were watching that match together backstage. I wonder if that's what the Ginyu force felt like yelling when they saw what happened to Recoome.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Since I'm one of this site's neutral-fans, there are indeed many things I like about the original version. The voices, music, seriousness of the situation, the moments of silence, even the perverted aspect of Goku shown in the Boo saga; when he's talking to the Elder Grand Kaioshin about Bulma. :lol:
Forgot about that. I love the tension created in those moments. In fact, you just inspired me to go watch me some DBZ :P

----

Also, this thread feels like when, after tons of arguing, a father sits down his two kids and tells them "I want you two to say 3 nice things about each other right now and hug".

...something I had to do a lot as a kid. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 am

Eh I think it can be useful to be positive every now and then for its own sake. What I TRULY find hilarious is that those of us who hate the dub dropped down and talked about some of the good things, but few dub supporters did the same, one of which keeps getting all excited with whenever someone says something good about the dub.

It's like a child who has a report card with a ton of Fs and one B- and keeps going nuts about the B-. I'm not mad or anything, I just find it humorous that jjgp's getting all so excited with whatever nice things said about the dub get said. :)
-Laserkid

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 am

laserkid wrote:Eh I think it can be useful to be positive every now and then for its own sake. What I TRULY find hilarious is that those of us who hate the dub dropped down and talked about some of the good things, but few dub supporters did the same, one of which keeps getting all excited with whenever someone says something good about the dub.

It's like a child who has a report card with a ton of Fs and one B- and keeps going nuts about the B-. I'm not mad or anything, I just find it humorous that jjgp's getting all so excited with whatever nice things said about the dub get said. :)
For me, there really isn't anything to say about the Japanese version. I like it, theres nothing wrong with it, but nothing stands out about it to me. Everything fits together nicely, and I can't think of many things that I dislike about it, but nothing is outstanding to me.

Not sure about other dubbies, but thats my reason for not posting here earlier.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38 am

Guh, I haven't seen the dub in forever.....*thinks*....

For Funi:

-I like Mark, Videl, Goten, Chi-Chi, 18's, and Cell's dub voices.
-I really enjoyed the cheese Gohan's VA injected into his Saiyaman voice. It was charmingly dorky. X3
-That scene where they show the Bobble-Head movie at the Tenkaichi Budoukai; the way Funi went about it made me smile.

For Ocean:

-I really liked their dubs of the first three movies, and Mr. McNeil's Piccolo in general. He was great.
-I like both Ocean Gokus. That Kaio-ken in Movie 2 (I think it was Mr. Kelamis.) was wonderful!
-Brian Drummond. :3 You can't escape his wrath. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMDRq2PpjkQ
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 am

GizmoKSX wrote:There was a great dub moment during Goku's fight* with Recoome. Recoome is taking ridiculously long announcing the name of his impending attack, and Goku knocks him out with an elbow, commenting, "There was an opening that just seemed to scream out, 'attack!' So, I did." :lol: I think Peter Kelamis was doing his voice at that point.
How is that a "dub moment"?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 am

laserkid wrote:Eh I think it can be useful to be positive every now and then for its own sake. What I TRULY find hilarious is that those of us who hate the dub dropped down and talked about some of the good things, but few dub supporters did the same, one of which keeps getting all excited with whenever someone says something good about the dub.
Most dub fans haven't seen enough of the Japanese version to know if they like anything in it.

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:07 am

VegettoEX wrote:The one biggest compliment I would like to give is to Masako Nozawa for her comment a couple years back about today's seiyuu not actually being interested in genuine acting... or being particularly good at it. Old people represent, yo! Once you hit a certain age, that filter comes right off and you say whatever you want! :D
Oh wow, did she really said that? Freaking brilliant. I think I love her even more now! ^^
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:08 am

The original English dub for the Dead Zone film is very well done.

That is all.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:55 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 am

Kunzait_83, I agree. When I say I prefer the Ocean dub cast to the Funimation in-house cast, people misunderstand. The Ocean cast was only marginally better at best. It's a small increment. Really, the only purely decent DBZ work that came out of them were the three movies they dubbed.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 am

I really enjoy Scott McNeil's Piccolo in the Ocean dub, and Chris Rager from FUNi's. I actually prefer Chris Rager's Mr. Satan to the Japanese versions'.

As far as music goes, I enjoy a few of Faulconer's tracks, with Ginyu Transformation easily being my favorite. I really think Faulconer's music sounds better in Legacy of Goku II and Buu's Fury though, they made some changes for the better to the tracks they used, and because the music is coming out of a GBA I can excuse it for sounding so obviously fake. My favorite tracks in the two GBA games are Trunks' Theme in Legacy of Goku II and District 439 Eastern Forest in Buu's Fury. (The title of the Faulconer track is Gohan Gets Angry, but it's used in Buu's Fury as the music in District 439 Eastern Forest.)
­

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Kelamis was only ever anywhere close to good in movie 2, but holy CRAP did he bring it for that one, and then some.
This. Every time I watch that movie and Kelamis releases that long "KAIO-KEN!" I get chills.

On the Ocean dub side of things:

Gohan's voice is perfect. No, seriously. She's perfect.

Scott McNeil's Piccolo is what I think of to this day when I think of Piccolo as a character. His voice actually fits and sounds HUMAN whereas Sabat's sounds like my dog is my dog smoked Camel Lights all day.

Oh wait...this is the compliment's thread, right?

All right. Here's one. I like Faulconer's music. The majority is successful as what it does. Here's the rub: if it had been in another series and not DBZ, I'd actually like it more than I do.
"Father, what's Hell like?"
"Well, there's a blue ogre and a red ogre, and we play tag all day." - preview for episode 13

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Hmm...

Well, as far as the Japanese version goes:

Kai has awesome music. Kenji Yamamoto's score is fantastic, and "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" is my favorite Japanese song ever.

As well, I really, really like Ryo Horikawa and whoever does Piccolo's voice in Japanese (His name escapes me right now...) They just have awesome performances.

As far as Ocean goes, Brian Drummond was an awesome Vegeta (In fact, I think Vegeta is the only character who's voice I like in all three versions). As well, Shuki Levy's music is very nostalgic to me, and "Rock The Dragon" is a fantastic opening song. XD

Being the offical dub fan here, FUNi gets my props for:

Faulconer's music (Freeza arc stuff introduced a few iconic songs, and Buu was more or less alright, but the Cell arc was where it was at man.)

Keeping with my Vegeta theme, Chris Sabat has that awesome badass Vegeta voice. *Insert "Prince Of Saiyans" quote here* As well, for the most part, they have more or less acuurate voices for charaacters (17, 18, Cell, Boo, etc.)

I believe that's all for me.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:59 pm

For me, there really isn't anything to say about the Japanese version. I like it, theres nothing wrong with it, but nothing stands out about it to me. Everything fits together nicely, and I can't think of many things that I dislike about it, but nothing is outstanding to me.
This is how I feel about it mostly. I enjoy both versions of the show but honestly what else can you really say about the Japanese version? It is what it is. Just about everyone here believes that it is pretty much flawless and for the most part it is. It's the original. It can't be any more right. The only nit-pick I have with the Japanese version is that sometimes they'll make an odd choice or two with bgm placement. Other than that though the Japanese version is Dragon Ball. Everything about it is just right. (As far as how the show is made)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Adamant wrote:
How is that a "dub moment"?
The line in Japanese is, "Sorry about that. You just left yourself so wide open, I couldn't help it. Sorry, sorry." The English dialogue is slightly different, and coupled with Kelamis's matter-of-fact delivery, it's particularly funny.
I can see their parachutes.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:51 pm

I generally can't stand the dub. But what can I say good about it? Easy!

Without FUNI bringing over the initial dub and making it successful in the US, the sub fans wouldn't have access to any DB/DBZ/DBGT at all with the exception of imports or fansubs.

Thanks to the dub being a financial success, the subfans are now getting DragonBoxes (like they have wanted for so long). Even before that, we at least got dual-audio DVDs from FUNI.

If none of that was successful, there wouldn't be any related video games in the US. They existed before the series hit the US, but they were never released domestically, you had to import the carts/CDs and mod your PS1 or SNES Cart.

Plain and simple - everything FUNI did with the dub allowed FAR greater access to the sub for the subbies. Without FUNI, I'd still be watching shitty VHS copies (or I guess watching them on torrents now...)

So, while I don't like 90% of it, I wouldn't change any of it... because, dammit, Krillin's in 'da house!
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm curious what penguin and Kunzait think of the old Dragon Ball dub from 1995, if only because I've never heard them comment on it before.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm not either of those people, but I can safely say the 1995 DB dub was what got me into DB/Z in the first place, and no matter the inconsistancies, that dub of those thirteen episodes will always be special to me for that reason, if nothing else.

Doesn't make it a good dub, not in the slightest, but its still important. :)
-Laserkid

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Chris Rager is a great Mr. Satan.

I prefer Kyle Hebert putting on that awesomely hockey Great Saiyaman voice over Nozawa Masako just doing her regular Gohan voice.

"Wow, unreal. My gosh. THIS IS AMAZING! I FEEL INCREDIBLE!!! YES YES YES YES!!! I CAN WIN! I FEEL GREAT! I CAN DO THIS! UGH! YES! I'M HOME! I'M ALIVE! THIS IS ALL A MIRACLE! I'M AWAKE! I'M WIDE AWAKE! WHOOSH! Hahahahahahahaha...."

I think Raditz had some great bad jokes line in the dub from way back when.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search