Anime or Manga (Personal Preference)...?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kiyza
Regular

Anime or Manga (Personal Preference)...?

Post by Kiyza » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 pm

So I'm curious to know, do you prefer the manga or anime of Dragon Ball? Personally, I lean toward manga. It's probably a matter of conveinence for me, since I can simply pick up a volume and start reading it instead of popping in a DVD. And the filler in the anime does get annoying at times.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:24 pm

The manga. There's just no comparison between the two versions. The manga had a somewhat enigmatic version of the afterlife. The anime had the most lame-ass and toned down version of hell I have ever seen. The manga had excellent pacing. The anime moved slower than molasses.

However, the anime had Gohan's training, Goku's training with Popo, and the Tsufuru.

Still, the manga definitely wins.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:46 pm

I've always preferred the manga. The art is more consistent, the pace is better and there are almost no plot holes.

I've always felt that filler in the anime doesn't even feel like it's part of the world that the manga portrayed. You can definitely tell it's not written by the same person just by the storytelling style, but you also get things like...sky pirates who are never heard from again, and just feel kind of out of place to me.

Then there's the other type of filler that you can just tell is filler. The kind that aren't full, self contained episodes, but just scenes squeezed in between canon scenes. Like Ginyu showing up in Bulma's body, then getting blown away and no one ever mentioning it again. Or...I think it was after Buu 'absorbed' Vegetto, and he decided to fly all around the world to celebrate, with Dende and Mr. Satan following. Then they end up back at the exact spot they started, so it could continue according to the manga like nothing happened. It's so blatant.

Like Kiyza said, I also like being able to just grab a volume off the shelf and look something up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:59 pm

I enjoy both. The manga is good for passing the time when your on the can and the anime has it's own charm...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:21 pm

It depends, from saga to saga. Some of the anime filler is quite good, other parts are painfully drawn out and add nothing.

I feel like the anime adds quite a bit with the orchestral score and a lot of great voice acting, but the manga doesn't have the same nagging plotholes and out-of-character moments that the anime does.

As a rule, I generally prefer a manga to its anime counterpart, but in DB/Z's case, it really depends on which portion. I feel like the anime depicted some parts better, and others not nearly as well.

The Saiyan arc, for instance, I prefer the anime. But the Freeza arc could go either way. Most of the Android/Cell arc I prefer the manga, except when it came to Goku and Gohan's battles with Cell at the Cell Games. The Buu arc I tend to prefer the manga, except in a few places.

With such a long story, it's a mixed bag for me.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:22 pm

There are moments here and there where the anime really shines or even improves on something. But all in all, I prefer the original manga. Primarily for the better pacing and consistently brilliant artwork.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 pm

The manga, definitely. Besides my obvious bias through it being "my Dragonball while growing up" or whatever, I generally enjoy manga more than I enjoy anime. I like the pacing and the original author's art much better than any anime version... as long as the manga is what came first. In other cases, like Cowboy Bebop, I enjoy the anime more.

The anime does have its place, though. For example, when I'm working out in my living room it isn't very easy to read manga, so I put in a DVD.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Manga and Kai.

I really like the DBZ Anime, but there's a reason people call it "Drag-On Ball Z".

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:09 pm

I really could go either way with the first TV series, but volumes 17 through 42 of the manga? Of course.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Manga. The pace is faster. Plus, I'm extremely fascinated at Toriyamna's artwork. There's nothing more fun than comparing his earlier and late works. I have always pondered as to why his artworks declined by the time Boo arc arrives. Personally, I prefer his drawing from Saiyan arc and Freeza arc. Note that I'm talking about Z era. I view the original Dragon Ball as a equal for both manga and anime.

As for anime, it's alright. Not as good as manga but it's still pretty good. When I'm bored, I usually am go for fillers.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:55 pm

I would really like to have a chance to collect all of the manga before I decide on if I prefer the Anime or the Manga. I really like reading and watching TV, so its hard to say which one I will like.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:06 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Manga. The pace is faster. Plus, I'm extremely fascinated at Toriyamna's artwork. There's nothing more fun than comparing his earlier and late works. I have always pondered as to why his artworks declined by the time Boo arc arrives.
Fatigue's the only thing I can think of. He'd been working on a tight schedule for close to a decade by the time the Buu saga started. (Not that I agree regarding the artwork declining, being that I haven't even read that part of the manga.)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:39 pm

The Manga, but not by a long shot. Penguintruth covered my sentiments pretty well.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Usually the manga, but occasionally the anime helps explain things a lot better, like most everything to do with the RoSaT in the Cell arc.
Trunks & Goten forever

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:58 pm

......The anime. Apparently I'm the only one?

I prefer it because while I like comics and manga, I'm primarily a lover of animation. Many of my favorite parts (hello Gohan and Pic training for the Saiyajin) only exist in the anime. I mean the manga is nice, but everything there is already in the anime, and my preferring animation to comics, well... Anime.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:47 am

Manga since the placing is much better, and their is no extar fighting moments that feel like they are taking forever.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:50 am

Velasa wrote:......The anime. Apparently I'm the only one?

I prefer it because while I like comics and manga, I'm primarily a lover of animation. Many of my favorite parts (hello Gohan and Pic training for the Saiyajin) only exist in the anime. I mean the manga is nice, but everything there is already in the anime, and my preferring animation to comics, well... Anime.
Nah, I agree with everything in this post. It's nice to kick back in bed and relax with some manga, but I'm more of an anime guy and agree that the filler arcs do the anime a great service. Actually, I'm suddenly in the mood for the ten episodes or so spent training for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai after writing this.

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 am

Manga.
While I like some of the filler in the anime(especially the original Dragon Ball's filler), it often too long. The fighting in the anime also becomes boring due to it's repetitiveness. The art is also much better in the manga.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 am

Funny, I thought the artwork in the Buu saga was just fine. I mean, the difference between it and the rest of the manga is way less than the difference between good and bad artwork in the anime. It changed very slightly, but I wouldn't have called it bad.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:40 am

Maybe I'm insane... but I completely prefer the anime.

I think the music and vocal performances enhance Toriyama's story even more than the manga. Plus the anime (even with it's share of inconsistencies/filler) tends to flesh out a few things in the Dragon Ball world.

Of course, the manga is fantastic too! It is the original work, after all. I do own all 42 tankobon for a reason...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.