Accuracy of some Viz lines

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I liked it at first too, but then after a while, I was like, "We get it already, now start talking in the 21st Century."
But it's not the 21st century, either in-story or when it was written. :P

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Tyro wrote:Does anyone else find that sentence so ye-olde-Englishy that they can't stand to read it? Serious question.
First off, in Old English the line would be something like "Sceal ic spell þú áht fremung?"

Besides that, I think it's the use of 'shall'. It sounds archaic, or at the least, excessively formal/polite. It doesn't sicken me to read it, but it does sound like a sentence rigidly translated to technically correct but odd-sounding English.
I don't think it's "shall". That's the sort of thing that Vegeta _would_ say in a modern-ish context.
"Tell you something good?" sounds awkward. "I have something to tell you" sounds way more natural. Or "Do you want to hear something interesting?". "Something good" just ... weird.
I don't mind that at all, personally... *makes a note to use stuff of the sort more often*, but I think it's the "something good" that's the awkward part of that line. "Shall" is Vegetaish; sounding like a non-native speaker of the language... not so much (as interesting as that would be...!).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I liked it at first too, but then after a while, I was like, "We get it already, now start talking in the 21st Century."
But it's not the 21st century, either in-story or when it was written. :P
You get my point, though. Piccolo's not talking modern, and the other characters are talking like how we would talk.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Tenshinhan stated in the original that Goku's weighted clothing weighed over 100 kg. VIZ converted that to pounds, but I wonder why they did it so badly.

100 kg ~ 220.462262 pounds

As you can see, 100 kg has a nice, pretty conversion of almost exactly 220 pounds. But they didn't say "over 220 pounds." They dropped 20 pounds somewhere along there (to "over 200 pounds"). It wouldn't be so strange to me if it were like 203 pounds or something, but it was a neat conversion in the first place.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:40 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:It's the same danm people fagging up my fansubs with random Japanese words scattered everywhere accompanied by "translators notes".
Annnnnnnd I think that makes my point without my even posting.

G'night everybody!

-Corey
Sorry, but I just have to post this.

/facepalm
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:51 pm

The weather is cloudy with a chance of locks!

But I hate those sorts of fansubs... exept if it's a parody series.
NeptuneKai wrote:So you're a hardcore purist that needs every line translated directly? Let me guess you also want honorifics in the manga too? It's clear we're reading the manga for two entirely different purposes in that case.
If the story is set in real-life Japan? Yes.

And now, stop talking about fansubs and fan translations like 15 year old nerds unless you want to have a lock sooner or later.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:There was "Spare me your folly". Also, Piccolo uses "queer" rather than the word "odd" when he's referring to Kami-sama's plans for Goku in the afterlife and Raditz's scouter.
"Queer" means the same thing as "odd".

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:There was "Spare me your folly". Also, Piccolo uses "queer" rather than the word "odd" when he's referring to Kami-sama's plans for Goku in the afterlife and Raditz's scouter.
"Queer" means the same thing as "odd".
Yes, I know, but in modern-day, people tend to use the word "odd" in place of "queer. Nowadays, "Queer" is used when referring to someone homosexual.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Big Momma wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:It's the same danm people fagging up my fansubs with random Japanese words scattered everywhere accompanied by "translators notes".
Annnnnnnd I think that makes my point without my even posting.

G'night everybody!

-Corey
Sorry, but I just have to post this.

/facepalm
Those "danm" people are "fagging up" your fansubs! >.<

Not saying I agree with leaving random, non-Honorific/Proper Nouns in Japanese, but the phrasing of the post I quoted really said a lot about the person posting it.

-Corey

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Edit: Fuck it, nevermind
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 pm

I like when Goku's lines read all folksy-like.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 am

Vegeta calling Goku "Goku" has been a error, I think it's rather fun since I believe Vegeta's calls Goku by Goku once in the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:04 am

Reminds me of when I was watching fan-subbed HELLSING.

One of the first episodes had a note in a font so large it took up half the screen.

"HIS NAME IS AKKARDO NOT ALUCARD!!!!!"
Trunks & Goten forever

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:06 am

Thanos6 wrote:Reminds me of when I was watching fan-subbed HELLSING.

One of the first episodes had a note in a font so large it took up half the screen.

Obvious anagram is obvious.

Though apparently not enough so to some. ;)

-Corey

FuniYamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by FuniYamcha » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:15 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

Obvious anagram is obvious.

Though apparently not enough so to some. ;)

-Corey
There's an anagram in Akkardo? Or were you referring to Alucard/Dracula?
Not a problem.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:16 am

I don't know anything about HELLSING, but I do know that his name is "Alucard" = "Dracula" backwards.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:18 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Vegeta calling Goku "Goku" has been a error, I think it's rather fun since I believe Vegeta's calls Goku by Goku once in the series.
At least four times, from what I remember.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:09 am

There's a video on YouTube of some dumbass fangirl arguing with Crispin Freeman saying that his name is Arucard, not Alucard.

Found it

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:37 am

The Time Traveller wrote:There's a video on YouTube of some dumbass fangirl arguing with Crispin Freeman saying that his name is Arucard, not Alucard.

Found it
It was amazing for him to be able to respond to her without facepalming... It's so sad that he had to actually explain it in full detail.

Best line was definitely
Crispin Freeman wrote:Yes it's Japanese, but it's set in London my dear!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:27 pm

Once again, I didn't notice that mistake about Vegeta's speech, but that's right, he does say Goku in the French tankobon as well!
I checked for all three moments mentionned on the first post, and the information has been translated in the same way (forgive my clumsy English)... No surprise there, Herms already confirmed the original text conveyed the same ideas you wondered about!

TANKOBON 18: SON GOHAN AND PICCOLO DAIMAO
CHAPTER 212: THE SAIYANS ARE DRAWING NEAR!!

GOKU: "The Saiyans will reach Earth tomorrow."

KAME SENNIN: "What?! Tomorrow, already?!... They're one month ahead of what we expected!"

TANKOBON 27: SUPER SAIYAN OF THE LEGEND
CHAPTER 321: FREEZER TAKES HIS BEST SHOT, FULL POWER!

GOD: "Huh... Yes, I think so... Why do you ask? Do you plan to resurrect all victims killed by the Saiyans in the universe?... Of course, that would be possible, but that would only work on people who died during this year..."

TANKOBON 33: BEGINNING OF THE CELL GAME
CHAPTER 388: CELL'S GOT AN IDEA

Vegeta: "Don't bother. Goku and you won't have an occasion to fight... All that it takes is for me to spend one more day in the room and I'll be totally ready..."