So why the hell isn't Hironobu Kageyama working on Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Wukong
Regular

So why the hell isn't Hironobu Kageyama working on Kai?

Post by Son Wukong » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:03 am

The dude can sing, sang very good songs for DB and loves the DB franchise . Listening to the Progression CD single he still has his skills. So why isn't he involved with Kai?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: So...why the hell isn't Hironobu Kageyama working on Kai

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:10 am

Son Wukong wrote:The dude can sing, sang very good songs for DB and loves the DB franchise . Listening to the Progression CD single he still has his skills. So why isn't he involved with Kai?
I don't think it's a question we'll ever have answered. The Japanese are too polite to give a frank answer if you posed it that way, so we'd just end up with some roundabout nonsense statement-of-fact about how now it is Takayoshi Tanimoto that sings the theme songs (dur).

It could have been time commitments / availability, money dealings... any variety of things. They have done a lot to try and make Kai its own distinct entity from the original Z, and so perhaps the base logic of "Hironobu Kageyama is too heavily identified with Z" is as best we're going to get.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kai_fan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 pm

I'd have been surprised if he WERE involved.

I doubt that he was even considered.

Why would he be? Changing the cast would be one thing, but having a new perfomer do the songs in sequels/adaptations/reimagining is par for the course in the anime industry.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The Japanese are too polite to give a frank answer if you posed it that way, so we'd just end up with some roundabout nonsense statement-of-fact about how now it is Takayoshi Tanimoto that sings the theme songs (dur).
I could totally see that happen in an interview and subsequently get annoyed by it.
VegettoEX wrote:They have done a lot to try and make Kai its own distinct entity from the original Z, and so perhaps the base logic of "Hironobu Kageyama is too heavily identified with Z" is as best we're going to get.
Which audience were they aiming at with Kai? The one who grew up with Z? If so, I doubt many of them would have complained hearing him sing again. Or is it that they producers thought the audience would consider him as a letdown since it's that old recycled fart singing again?
But if the original plan was to introduce a new generation to the series it doesn't really matter since they would not be familiar with Kageyama. Or would this new generation also feel copped out of the definition ''Kai'' when they find out Kageyama was involved with Z too?
Kai_fan wrote:I'd have been surprised if he WERE involved.

I doubt that he was even considered.

Why would he be?
Like I said, he still is active within the franchise. Is it coincidence he sings the latest game songs for Dragonball? Don't think so. I'm sure he was mentioned when they decided to start with Kai. But why he eventually wasn't chosen is the question I'd like to see answered.
Kai_fan wrote:Changing the cast would be one thing, but having a new perfomer do the songs in sequels/adaptations/reimagining is par for the course in the anime industry.
It is?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Which audience were they aiming at with Kai? The one who grew up with Z? If so, I doubt many of them would have complained hearing him sing again.
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it was just as much to bring in a new generation of fans.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Son Wukong wrote:It is?
It varies from show to show. Although nowadays, it seems to lean closer towards "new singer, new song plz."

I doubt we will ever get answer. Why did they replace Hiroki Takahashi and Ushio Hashimoto for Z? Why did they ditch Kageyama in GT? Why did GT have four ending themes although being so short?

I don't see answers to any of those, besides a simple "it's a different show."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So why the hell isn't Hironobu Kageyama working on Kai?

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Let that guy live.... Since I'm fond of Kageyama and I like his Z music, I'm quite bored from Kageyama = Dragon Ball (Z)....
After all of those themes for series and video games, I think that the new singer is good refreshment for my ears....
You know, Too much of something = overkill, also I don't like that much the new sound of Kageyama's background music by his band and Yamamoto from 2000+ because I think that this guy fits into 80's-90's Dragon Ball franchise.....

(And I'll never like Burst Limit and Raging Blast opening)

Also lot of people is forgetting his awesome vocal performances in Saint Seiya, Kishin Douji Zenki and Super Sentai series which is quite pitty, because some of those tracks included on Song Collections for those series are also that powerfull as Dragon Ball's and lot of them I like more then some of Dragon Ball related songs.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12 am

I've just always thought that Kageyama = Z Exclusive.

He did nothing for DB, and nothing for DBGT, only Z.

Toei is trying like hell to make Kai its own entity. 'Nuff said
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 am

I have my own thoughts about TOEI....... unfortunately.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Re:

Post by Gouki* » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 am

Son Wukong wrote:Like I said, he still is active within the franchise. Is it coincidence he sings the latest game songs for Dragonball? Don't think so. I'm sure he was mentioned when they decided to start with Kai. But why he eventually wasn't chosen is the question I'd like to see answered.
Except those are Z games, not Kai games.
... Maybe later.

Son Wukong
Regular

Re: Re:

Post by Son Wukong » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Gouki* wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:Like I said, he still is active within the franchise. Is it coincidence he sings the latest game songs for Dragonball? Don't think so. I'm sure he was mentioned when they decided to start with Kai. But why he eventually wasn't chosen is the question I'd like to see answered.
Except those are Z games, not Kai games.
I know, I never said/implied that they were Kai games.