The Saiyans' Ability to Breathe in Space

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krazy Monkey

The Saiyans' Ability to Breathe in Space

Post by Krazy Monkey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:30 pm

During the Frieza Saga, during Goku's showdown with Frieza, it was stated that Goku (as well as other Saiyans) are unable to breathe in space. Due to Frieza having knowledge of this fact, he took advantage of it by shooting a huge energy blast all the way down to Planet Namek's core, so even if Goku somehow managed to defeat Frieza and/or survive the planet's explosion, he would die in space due to a lack of oxygen. Now, to get to the point, I've noticed an inconsistency that contradicts this entirely. Towards the end of Bardock: The Father of Goku, Bardock was able to breathe in space when he was blasting through all of those soldiers in order to challenge Frieza. So, my question is, if Bardock was able to breathe in space, why is it that Goku is unable to?
Last edited by Krazy Monkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Re: The Saiyans' Ability to Breathe in Space

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:35 pm

This has been discussed a thousand times but really Toei did not put much thought into it. As I hypothesized in this thread, I believed the use of ki had something to do with making a temporary, artifical "atmosphere". Either that or the breathable atmosphere on Planet Vegeta extends farther out. Still Saiyans cannot breath in space apparentley, since they are like humans in many respects. It's Toriyama Physics 101 . . . try not to think too hard.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Krazy Monkey wrote:During the Frieza Saga, during Goku's showdown with Frieza, it was stated that Goku (as well as other Saiyans) are unable to breathe in space. Due to Frieza having knowledge of this fact, he took advantage of it by shooting a huge energy blast all the way down to Planet Namek's core, so even if Goku somehow managed to defeat Freeza and/or survive the planet's explosion, he would die in space due to a lack of oxygen. Now, to get to the point, I've noticed an inconsitency that contradict this entirely. Towards the end of Bardock: The Father of Goku, Bardock was able to breathe in space when he was blasting through all of those soldiers in order to challenge Frieza. So, my question is, if Bardock was able to breathe in space, why is it that Goku is unable to?
When the storyline of Dragon Ball was on it's roots where it's a classic and gag manga. The answer is Goku is able to breath in space, it happened when the Dragon Ball was on its roots, origin and classic mode. It is the chapter where Goku sent Boss Rabbit and his gang in the moon.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

His scouter is also a magic, scientifically improbable breath device. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

yunzabit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yunzabit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 pm

I prefer to think that Freeza's ship created a atmosphere "bridge" between Planet Vegeta and the ship at King Vegeta's request.

Filler I know, but King Vegeta assembled his men and prepared to attack Freeza. He had to get to Freeza somehow. There could have been an artificial atmosphere to bridge the two destinations. That would also allow Bardock and Freeza's men to survive outside of Freeza's ship.

Although the logistics in creating a sustainable atmospheric bridge like that would just as unlikely.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 pm

I think that they can breath in space, but one of my friends said that Bardock suffficating in space would be a delayed effect do to saiyans having an overall stronger anatomy than humans.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 pm

All instances of Saiya-jin in space breathing without apparatus (Bardock, Vegeta, etc.) are anime-only.

Let's not mention Bardock's two panels, kthx.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Forget about them breathing in space. Explain how they are even speaking in space. You could make the argument that they held their breath for a long time, but that it is immediately negated as soon as Bardock speaks. Bardock was the only one talking if I remember correctly, other than Freeza, maybe everyone else was holding their breath. Might explain why Freeza's soldiers didn't speakup against Bardock though. :lol:

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 pm

One question, this "TV Special" came before Freezer's statement that Saiyans can't breath in space or before? Maybe TOEI didn't know about it, if it came before of course. If it came after then in my opinion that is just a mess up...

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:Forget about them breathing in space. Explain how they are even speaking in space. You could make the argument that they held their breath for a long time, but that it is immediately negated as soon as Bardock speaks. Bardock was the only one talking if I remember correctly, other than Freeza, maybe everyone else was holding their breath. Might explain why Freeza's soldiers didn't speakup against Bardock though. :lol:
It's a gag panel in the adaptation of the gag manga called Dragon Ball.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 pm

goodguy777 wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:Forget about them breathing in space. Explain how they are even speaking in space. You could make the argument that they held their breath for a long time, but that it is immediately negated as soon as Bardock speaks. Bardock was the only one talking if I remember correctly, other than Freeza, maybe everyone else was holding their breath. Might explain why Freeza's soldiers didn't speakup against Bardock though. :lol:
It's a gag panel in the adaptation of the gag manga called Dragon Ball.
They were talking about Bardock's appearance in the anime bro.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 am

Bardock was shown surviving in outer space. After that, Frieza and King Kai noted that Saiyans can't survive in outer space.

Retcon much? S'not that hard to discern.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:30 am

Maphisto86 wrote:This has been discussed a thousand times but really Toei did not put much thought into it. As I hypothesized in this thread, I believed the use of ki had something to do with making a temporary, artifical "atmosphere". Either that or the breathable atmosphere on Planet Vegeta extends farther out. Still Saiyans cannot breath in space apparentley, since they are like humans in many respects. It's Toriyama Physics 101 . . . try not to think too hard.
Hmmmm, this idea is the most convincing so far... after all, we see Broly do something similar as a baby (he and Paragus floating away in a ball of ki, or air, or something...)
It's all GOOD

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 am

The true and real explanation for this is "it's a gag anime" because it's impossible to speak or talk in the vacuum of space, it's a gag scene.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:01 am

Terra-jin wrote:
Maphisto86 wrote:This has been discussed a thousand times but really Toei did not put much thought into it. As I hypothesized in this thread, I believed the use of ki had something to do with making a temporary, artifical "atmosphere". Either that or the breathable atmosphere on Planet Vegeta extends farther out. Still Saiyans cannot breath in space apparentley, since they are like humans in many respects. It's Toriyama Physics 101 . . . try not to think too hard.
Hmmmm, this idea is the most convincing so far... after all, we see Broly do something similar as a baby (he and Paragus floating away in a ball of ki, or air, or something...)
It's the explanation I always thought was most logical, too. However, as Rocketman pointed out in another thread, even humans can survive in space for a while. The human body doesn't just burst or anything, and heat radiates away from you slower in a vacuum. Plus you could use your ki to keep your temperature up, I guess.

In the end it's the lack of air that kills you. If we imagine that Saiyans have incredible lung capacity, then it might be possible for them to operate in space for a limited time; much like Superman in his animated series. Then the real question becomes how they speak, but yeah. Maybe, like the sound effects in space movies (and in Dragon Ball itself, for that matter), there isn't really any sound. Another character might just see the lips move, but not hear anything. I can't remember if two characters actually talk/respond to each other while in space in the Bardock Special.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

Nothing should have been audible at all.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 am

Savage68 wrote:Nothing should have been audible at all.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Take something like Star Trek, where a character would tell you that there's no sound in a vacuum, and if exposed to space this would be shown to be true within the show, yet the space battles still have the 'pew pew' sound effects constantly. It's one of those things that isn't meant to be taken literally. It exists for the benefit of the viewer and to give 'weight' to the scene. Any sound in space in Dragon Ball, be it sound effects or talking, could be the same deal.

Unless someone actually has a back-and-forth conversation in space in the special. Then I shrug and say I gave it my best shot.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

There's also that there's a pretty big difference between being in vacuum for a minute or two and being cast adrift in the interstellar void where a planet used to be.

Even if Goku could breathe in space, he'd starve to death before reaching another livable planet.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Well, when you consider the impossible Earth-Moon relativity Toriyama applied in the series, the Bardock thing isn't all that illogical.

Though it does contradict his own characters' statements later, which possibly makes it even more illogical.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

I know it is laughable and sounds a stupid excuse, but in my fanfictions I wrote that it was because Vegeta and Nappa had taken special oxygen tablets before boarding their spacepods and so could breathe without the use of air masks when they are out of the planets atmosphere.
Also if you think about it, Not all planets would be the same (Some may not have oxygen at all), and so you don't see Freeza's men running around in clunky space suits like Goku wore to fix the space ship on the way to Namek.

I know in a couple of episodes Freeza's crew wear those helmets (Like on Namek the crocodile guy who tried to kidnap Bulma) But we never see Vegeta wearing anything remotely like this.

I'll just stick with my random (and potentially rubbish) Oxygen pill idea! :lol:
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]